Cold Steel Carbon V Trailmaster

I was told that all of the Carbon V Trailmasters were made in the U.S.A., but my Carbon V Trailmaster is made in Seki City Japan. Is there any difference between the U.S. and Japanese knives?

Thank You

[This message has been edited by tatsu (edited 13 October 1999).]

The carbon V trailmaster comes with a leather sheath. The AUS-6A ans San Mai III versions come with a cordura sheath. The carbon V knives are made in the U.S. The other two models are made in Japan. Hope this helps.

The carbon V trailmaster I bought, probably
5 or 6 years ago, came with an extremely inadequate cordura sheath. I had a leather one custom made. If CS is now supplying a leather sheath, that's an improvement. How good is the sheath? Any concerns about rusting the Carbon V?

The trailmaster carbon V was originally released with a leather sheath. I remember when I bought my first one around 1993 the vendor had a display model with a leather sheath and a new boxed model with a cordura sheath. I took the model with the leather sheath.

I took a quick look through the Cold Steel's 1999 fall catalog and the current leather sheath is of the same pattern as the cordura sheath.

The Current Sheath for the Carbon V Trail Master is A Symetrical Leather Pouch type sheath. In my opinion it is barely adequite...if I were going to seriously carry this knife in a military situation of Serious hiking I'd get a custom sheath made. Both Ron Hood and Jeff Randall have found that CS sheaths Disintergrate w/ in 2 days in Humid jungle environs...I imaging the same would happen w/ exposure to rain or stream water in more temprate climates.

I had a Kydex sheath made for mine back about 5 years ago and it still works great.
What's with those cheap sheaths anyway?

------------------
The greatest thought that has ever entered my mind is that one day I will have to stand before a Holy God and give an account of my life.
*Daniel Webster

Rev 20:12

Hey Tatsu, your Trailmaster in Carbon V was made in Seki Japan. About 5 years ago + or - Cold Steel had a problem with their workers (rumor was about pay) and Cold Steel decided to have the Japanese have a try at making the Trailmaster. According to the Special Projects Catalog where I remember these Japanese Carbon V blades being sold, these paticular Trailmasters didn't meet Cold Steels Specs...however they weren't factory seconds either. So Special Projects division of Cold Steel sold them through their catalog and Cold Steel had the Trailmaster made in the US again...so thats the Trailmaster you have, a Carbon V sort of limited edition of Japanese make...hope this helps!

Back