Cold Steel Kitchen Knives?

My Bed Bath and Beyond knife set is 5years old and sucks miserably...wife won't let me spend more then $200 on a new set...

Saw a Cold Steel Kitchen Classics set at Knifecenter for $149...anyone have experience with this set? Ratings on Knifecenter look pretty good, was wondering if anyone here has any first-hand knowledge.

Obviously I am not expecting custom steel and crazy materials for this price....just wondering about the functionality, wear resistance, etc.

Thanks for any info!

Looks very basic but should work fine for home chefs.

I dont have personal experience with them but I do frequent a few chef forums and no one seems to use them as I cant find anything other than cold steel sites.

I've been using the same Kitchen set for 5 years now and they are still going strong.
I like them a lot.

you need to sharpen them very often, fairly rust resistant, cut ok but should be thinner than they are. pretty comfortable to use. i bought my parents a set a few years ago. they use it every day.

I have used CS kitchen knives since their first incarnation, the K series. Great everyday kitchen tools, easy to maintain. No boards other than wood or poly, handwash and dry as you would a GLOBAL, Cutco, Wustoff (sp?) etc. Common sense every use care keeps them going strong, over 12 yrs. in all. CS serrations are difficult to resharpen, and require a Lansky "Dog Bone" made for them. Dont use a Spyderco Sharpmaker on CS serrations. Great for straight edge though. Then strop w/ white compound on leather for an "Oh Dear God..." sharper than factory edge!

I have a parer ($6) and a filet ($8) bought each new in blister pack at a gun show. Very good knives. Thin flexible steel take and hold an edge. Were sharp out of the box. They were better than the more expensive knives they replaced.

I just bought my daughter 2 with the 4xxx steel. I found 2 more of older ones with VG-1 on a close out Those she will get a Christmas If I don't decide to keep them .

I see mentions on a shopping site that the Kraton layer on grips dries out and crumbles off -- anyone experience this?

CS says they are "dishwasher safe", so ... ?

- OS

Just got a number of responses on CS's own forum showing grips totally disintegrated. Some think it's various food substances doing it, like acids from fruit, more than the dishwasher.

And sigh, already ordered a set cause I found great deal. I thought. Guess I should have waited a couple days for more responses.

- OS

I never recommend putting these knives through a dishwasher.
For what it's worth I've had the same set for many years now and handles and blades are doing just fine.

I never recommend putting these knives through a dishwasher.
For what it's worth I've had the same set for many years now and handles and blades are doing just fine.

Got them today, very nice set.

Info on box says not to use dishwasher, but video on CS site proclaims "dishwasher safe!".

- OS

Last edited:
I will check the site and speak with our team about this, but I personally never use a dishwasher when it comes to knives.
I use warm (not hot) water and very mild detergent. Clean and dry them by hand. I'll happily admit that I am incredibly fastidious about my knife care, but I also know my Kitchen set is still going strong after quite a few years of hard use.
I think you will really enjoy your knives. I've got a lot of good use out of mine and I regularly give them as Christmas gifts

Back