Cold Steel Knives In Combat

November 18, 2010, post on The Sniper's Hide forum by poster OLD18C, a former Special Forces Engineer Sergeant:

The Hawk was given to me by my last Commander, he had them made for everyone in the unit. The Kukri was from a mission about 15 years ago and has been on four continents with me. Best cold steel I have ever abused.

IMG-1312.jpg

From Navy SEAL "Tracker Dan" on his Web site www.trackerdan.com:

I am Tracker Dan, I have been a wilderness survival and tracking instructor since 1995 and a Navy SEAL since 2002, I am currently serving in the active reserves on SEAL Team 18. When at home, I teach survival and tracking, marksmanship and tactics, and hand-to-hand combat and provide personal protection for celebrities, business men and politicians (those who are worth their salt). One of my major activities is designing and making sheaths, holsters and edged weapons/tools.
Based on that 30 year’s of experience, I learned that a knife that is thin, light and convenient to carry will be with you when you need it, as with most gear. The Cold Steel Mini Culloden has always been a favorite because it’s thin, short and light, can fit in a front pocket, on the hip, forearm, in a sock or as a neck knife, etc.

Dan began making his own knives and sheaths and went on to develop his Bloodshark model around the Mini Culloden design, changing and adding features that he felt would make it more useful. The Bloodshark is sufficiently different from the Culloden that I doubt that anyone seeing the two knives side by side would make the connection.

IMG-1321.jpg

IMG-1327.jpg

But Dan obviously wanted to give credit where credit was due in relating his admiration for, and inspiration from, the Mini Culloden when he carried it in uniform. I thought that was pretty noble.

-Steve

Last edited:
Oddly enough, this is from a Walmart Web site selling the Recon Tanto. It is a review of the knife from a Walmart employee. I'm primarily including it here because it reiterates the fact that Cold Steel knives were once readily available at PXs. I'd like to know why they aren't any longer.

Bought one during my time in the Army.
by Jason

24 Sep. 16

IMG-4830.jpg

I bought one while I was in the Army from a store on post. I was not allowed to carry it while on base but was able to use it during training. I also used it while working. I was a generator mechanic and would use this blade to cut through wires. I could easily cut through 2 gauge stranded wire. I loved this knife and wish I still have it. I would recommend this knife to anyone who is willing to take care of it.

From a March 4, 2008, post on Kit Up!

Submitted by Steelcobra

Personally, my Cold Steel Recon Tanto served me very well while I was out at Robin Sage as a G. It’s a solid knife I used to hammer, cut, pry, break things, and occasionally throw at trees, and it held up beautifully. The edge is nearly impossible to chip, and the protective coating held up to all kinds of abuse. The simple Kraton checked grip ensues confidence that it won’t be dropped.

Finally, the stock molded Kydex sheath is tough, and the friction grips let you carry it around camp unstrapped without fear of it falling out.

While Cold Steel’s site says $115, I got mine at the Clothing Sales shop for $50.

From the Australian Military Knives Web site (www.australianmilitaryknives.com):

Manufactured by Cold Steel, Inc. Ventura, CA, USA

This Cold Steel Master Hunter was carried by an Australian Soldier during two deployments to East Timor in 2000 and 2002. This was a private purchase intended to fill the need for a decent utility knife. A requirement apparently not shared with current military planners.

This knife has an AUS 8A Stainless Steel blade a Kraton handle and a Concealex sheath. There are no military markings.

IMG-1397.jpg

Matthew Franklin, 5 years active-duty U.S. Army Infantry, 3 years in the Reserves, veteran of OEF/OIF, in response to the question "What knife did you actually use/carry in the military?" on quora.com:

Cold Steel Recon Tanto:

IMG-4831.jpg

This was the fighting knife I carried when on-mission. Very, very rarely will you ever need a knife to kill someone with in combat, these days. But better to have one than to try and have to use a pocket knife or a rock. Knowing this, I chose a tanto-style blade, which has some uses as a tool as well as a weapon. I’ve used it as a chisel to break something apart, a pry bar to open resistant lids, locks and other things, drove it into a wall to use as an improvised ladder rung for climbing, and cut all shapes and sizes of things, from MRE packages to equipment webbing. I owned an earlier version of the blade released in the 90’s of a steel that was more vulnerable to rust, but sharpened more easily and had a keener edge, but dulled more easily at the same time. Only used as a fighting knife once, and that was merely for posturing. A high/berserk/crazy Afghan National Policeman was on a looting spree in the poorest village in Afghanistan. He was on his way out of this poor guy’s home with a copper pot. I ordered him to return the pot, and he kept moving, so I drove my knife into the doorframe a hair from the tip of his nose. He put back the pot and cussed at me in Pashtun and I returned the favor, calling him a “son of an owl.” (a really bad insult for some reason. THAT was his second surprise of the day).

-Steve

Last edited:
The photo's a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that's a Recon Tanto the soldier on the right is wearing.

IMG-1776.jpg

Combat harness layout of another Special Forces soldier, this one containing either a Safe Keeper II or III (behind the magazines).

IMG-1750.jpg

SRK belonging to an Air Force Pararescueman. Apparently this sheath modification is unique to the PJs.

IMG-4834.jpg

IMG-4833.jpg

SSG David "Doc" Smith, combat medic and veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, with his typical loadout, which includes his Rajah II. SSG Smith is a knife guy, and he keeps multiple Cold Steel knives in his rotation.

IMG-1785.jpg

General Azizullah, a.k.a. "Commander Aziz," leader of anti-Taliban forces in Paktika Province, Afghanistan. Here he sports his Cold Steel Peace Keeper I, presumably given to him by one of the U.S. Special Forces soldiers alongside whom he served in years of Coalition operations.

IMG-1768.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
That's precisely how I felt, too. I get very tired of the "mall ninja" moniker anyway. (If soldiers and police are carrying United and Master knives, where do you get off labeling those brands "mall ninja" from the comfort of your couch?) But when the ill-informed cast that aspersion on Cold Steel, it's especially irksome because it's verifiably baseless, as this thread should demonstrate quite clearly. I knew from my own experiences that many soldiers carry Cold Steel knives, and not just to open MREs. As anyone can now see, there are some serious guys potentially staking their lives on Cold Steel.

Believe it or not, you're the first one to mention carrying a Cold Steel folder! Honestly, I assumed that most of the stories would be about folders. blackhawkcowboy, what year did you buy your American Lawman from the PX? I ask because I haven't seen Cold Steel in PXs/BXs/MCXs in years (and I'm wondering why), and I don't recall ever seeing a Lawman in one.

-Steve

You can still get some in the PX here..I've been gonna buy a TiLite for months now I just don't know what I'd do with it.

Next time I see the special kids hanging around in battle rattle I'll see how many are carrying a fixed blade.

The Ti-Lite here and the Broken Skull at home.

Broken Skull, huh? So as late as 2016 some PXs have been getting Cold Steel knives. That's good info.

I'm also glad to hear that the Broken Skull is on the shelves. I suspect that will be a well-received knife with the troops. I'm surprised about the Ti-Lite. It's not exactly a field knife!

-Steve

Finally! I've known for well over a decade that the Cold Steel SRK was issued to candidates attending the U.S. Navy's BUD/S program, but I've never seen any photographic evidence. At long last, I have it. This is a still from a History Channel documentary entitled Navy SEALs: America's Secret Warriors. It depicts BUD/S trainees gearing up for an exercise. In clear view are two SRKs, one in an original Secure-Ex sheath, the other in either a non-Cold Steel sheath or a highly modified one (I suspect equipment lifespans are short at BUD/S!).

IMG-1939.jpg

IMG-1940.jpg

IMG-1941.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
Sort of difficult to discern, but I believe that the soldier wearing sunglasses in the back row, third from the right, is holding a Black Sable. All of these knives were Christmas gifts supplied gratis to the soldiers as a collective care package, so someone was very generous to include a Black Sable!

IMG-0489.jpg

SRK worn on the plate carrier of Blade Forums member Seminole31.

IMG-1795.jpg

A couple of photos of the Leatherneck carried by a friend of Cold Steel Forums member Rowan McDirk.

IMG-1835.jpg

IMG-1836.jpg

Kobun carried into Afghanistan by CIA Case Officer Gary C. Schroen during Operation JAWBREAKER, the agency's program to hunt for Bin Laden and to initiate operations against the Taliban/Al Qaeda after 9/11. This knife reportedly is on display in the museum at CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA.

IMG-2342.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
...Kobun carried into Afghanistan by CIA Case Officer Gary C. Schroen during Operation JAWBREAKER, the agency's program to hunt for Bin Laden and to initiate operations against the Taliban/Al Qaeda after 9/11. This knife reportedly is on display in the museum at CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA.
-Steve

OK, I don't get it. Why would this be on display? There must be some back story here?

OK, I don't get it. Why would this be on display? There must be some back story here?

Individuals who have participated in some of the CIA's more significant operations are encouraged to donate mementos of said efforts to the museum. JAWBREAKER was an especially important endeavor because it eventually paved the way (even if it took over a decade) for Neptune Spear. I don't know if the knife has any history other than it accompanied Case Officer Schroen on that mission, but knives, in general, make for desirable display pieces for curators of martial museums. There are several OSS and CIA knives exhibited in the International Spy Museum in downtown Washington, D.C.

If there is more to this Kobun's story, we're not likely to hear about it (unless it's in Schroen's book, which I haven't read yet). The public isn't permitted access to the museum at Langley.

-Steve

Last edited:
If there is more to this Kobun's story, we're not likely to hear about it (unless it's in Schroen's book, which I haven't read yet). The public isn't permitted access to the museum at Langley.

Well, I recently finished Mr. Schroen's book, entitled First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War On Terror in Afghanistan. Disappointingly, he doesn't mention the Kobun by name or supply any photos of himself wearing it, but he certainly verifies that he took a knife matching the Kobun's description as he describes JAWBREAKER's logistical preparation for deployment on page 29:

"As [team member] Stan was finishing his review of the items he had obtained, [team member] Murray arrived with a box containing knives for the team. There were Ken [sic] Kershaw folding knives with belt clips featuring a razor-sharp, spring-loaded three-inch blade, with an interior lock to keep the blade in place. A flick of the thumb opened the blade with an impressive snap. There was also a variety of longer belt knives. I selected a Japanese-made knife with a five-inch Tanto-style blade. We were impressed with Murray's selection and his initiative, because none of us had mentioned a need for knives."

Obviously, Schroen isn't a knife guy. But former SEAL and Technical Operations Officer "Murray" knew what kind of knives would be useful for the team.

As far as I can tell, the members of JAWBREAKER were the first Americans into Afghanistan following the terror attacks of 9/11, arriving on the afternoon of September 26, 2001.

And Cold Steel accompanied them....

IMG-2871.jpg

Green Beret A-Team in Iraq. It's a little difficult to discern, but the soldier on the far left is wearing a Recon Tanto on his chest harness.

IMG-2859.jpg

About five years ago, I wrote a thread entitled A few observations about Cold Steel, Lynn C. Thompson, and Internet inquiries in which I addressed the fact that Cold Steel knives were issued by the U.S. Navy not only in BUD/S qualification but also in SEAL survival training. I recently rediscovered the article in which I first read about the issuance of the LTC Kukri and thought that I'd share it with you.

In his "Survival" column in the March 2005 issue of Tactical Knives magazine, Dan Shechtman wrote the following excerpt.

IMG-2843.jpg

IMG-2849.jpg

This photo is from the personal knife collection of SEAL Team Six member Matthew Bissonnette, one of two SEALs claiming to be the killer of Osama bin Laden on the Neptune Spear raid. (From what I read, neither actually fired the shots that put down bin Laden, though both may have delivered coup de grace shots.) As you can see, there are several Cold Steel knives here, including what I suspect is one of those Navy-issued LTC Kukris mentioned above.

IMG-2641.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
Damn that's a fine collection of official and unofficial issue knives and cutlery being shown. The fact there's a wood handled tomahawk present tickles me.

Damn that's a fine collection of official and unofficial issue knives and cutlery being shown. The fact there's a wood handled tomahawk present tickles me.

It is a nice collection! Apparently Mr. Bissonnette is a knife guy.

There are actually two wooden-handled tomahawks shown; that Winkler has a wooden haft, as well. I don't think robustness was ever at issue. From what I gather, the members of SEAL Team Six didn't use their tomahawks for breaching, but rather for counting coup.

-Steve

I haven't seen Cold Steel in PXs/BXs/MCXs in years (and I'm wondering why)

For those who also were curious, I asked Lynn Thompson about the reason for this. He said that the supply demands of the military exchange system were more than Cold Steel could keep up with. During the height of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, AAFES requested two thousand knives per week, a quantity that the Cold Steel manufacturers at the time simply could not meet on a recurring basis (while still supplying commercial distributors). He told me that he would like to see Cold Steel back in the PXs, however, and would revisit the possibility with his current manufacturers. Here's to hoping that they're able to put Cold Steel on the exchange shelves once again!

Lieutenant from SEAL Team 8 in Kuwait with his Carbon V Recon Tanto in an early leather or Cordura sheath. [Photo taken from the book Special Ops by Fred J. Pushies.]

IMG-3282.jpg

Lynn Thompson had his own example of Cold Steel being used in combat, which he related to me at Blade Show. After the 1983 VBIED bombing of the Marine barracks in Beruit, Lebanon, the CIA began tracking down the terrorists behind the plot. One of those terrorists was located and a team (presumably comprised of military special operations and/or CIA SAD personnel) was sent to kill him. According to Lynn, who was informed by an individual present at the scene, the terrorist was dispatched using a Cold Steel Tanto. Back then, that could only mean one of these.

IMG-3285.jpg

This jibes with another tidbit that Lynn mentioned. A friend of Lynn, who worked for the State Department in D.C. from the 1980s through the 2000s, had a connection with a local gun shop located near CIA headquarters in Langley, VA. He talked the shop owner into carrying the Cold Steel line, and apparently the shop ended up doing a brisk business putting Cold Steel knives into the hands of a lot of CIA employees over the years.

-Steve

Last edited:
For those who also were curious, I asked Lynn Thompson about the reason for this. He said that the supply demands of the military exchange system were more than Cold Steel could keep up with. During the height of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, AAFES requested two thousand knives per week, a quantity that the Cold Steel manufacturers at the time simply could not meet on a recurring basis (while still supplying commercial distributors). He told me that he would like to see Cold Steel back in the PXs, however, and would revisit the possibility with his current manufacturers. Here's to hoping that they're able to put Cold Steel on the exchange shelves once again!

It sounds like the main reason they switched from CTS-XHP to S35VN is to deal with this issue directly. According to their press release, they want to get the blades in their customers hands sooner and help to prevent long backorder wait times. There are 37 models that will be changed to S35VN. Not sure how much this boosts their production but hopefully it will be enough.

Back