Cold steel Kopis Machetes?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Scottman, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Scottman

Scottman

Jun 24, 2007
    Has anyone played with these? opinion? I noticed cold steel still has these on sale for 10 bucks with sheath. Thanks

2. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    I like the pointy, large belly design of them. They're made of decent steel and CS does a decent tempering job on them.

However, they are cheap. Expect to have to completely reprofile the edge on them in order to use them.

3. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Moderator Moderator

Jan 28, 2005
    I recently got one. The $10 dollas sale price is difficult to resist. The edge needs sharpening, but is otherwise a great brush machete. I don't think it will make a good chopper; it feels too thin. IMHO, it feels more like a thin sword than a machete, but I haven't tested it's chopping capabilities yet.

I don't have small hands by any stretch of the word, and I find the handle too thick for my taste. Even then, the handle's shape will allow me a safe grip. I was expecting the handle to be a little too thick for me and was planning to modify it anyway, for which I don't expect to need more than a dremel and a sander.

4. Scottman

Scottman

Jun 24, 2007
    Got em yesterday the kopis's. Will need to be sharpened

5. Scottman

Scottman

Jun 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

Handle is slightly to round for me and will turn. Can be modded.

[​IMG]

6. Scottman

Scottman

Jun 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drilling handle very secure on forward pressure on the kopis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Scottman

Scottman