Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite folder

I took it to work and put the calipers on it. Measured about .022" behind the edge, the bevel was about .048" wide. That puts the secondary bevel angle at about 13 degrees per side. Printed and cut out an angle gage to confirm. Pretty steep, more than I would have guessed.

Aren't you the clever one :)

Thanks for that bit of detail, confirms why she cuts so well !
G2

I took it to work and put the calipers on it. Measured about .022" behind the edge, the bevel was about .048" wide. That puts the secondary bevel angle at about 13 degrees per side. Printed and cut out an angle gage to confirm. Pretty steep, more than I would have guessed.

My Tuff Lite came from the factory the same way. Quite surprising for a factory knife. There's an old post somewhere here on bfc where I mentioned it looked about 25* included, though I didn't measure mine as specifically as you did. My info was just based upon sharpening it and eyeballing an old dial type angle finder while doing so. :thumbup:

I've recently been going through my knives and thinning the herd. But I like the Mini Tuff Lite and the Tuff Lite enough that they have made the cut. They are impressive little knives and are keepers that will make it back into my pocket. Thanks for the review.

Definitely one of my favorite knives. Absolutely excels at wood carving and leather cutting. Mine is modified for those duties.

IMAG1268_zps162d8d5a.jpg

IMAG1602_zps8562c64e.jpg

Rounded and chamfered spine, choil and jimping. Wrapped with medical tape for long sessions of wood carving. Reprofiled to 25° inclusive.

Great knives. :thumbup:

Strigamort, did you remove the clip before you taped it? How did the handle feel with/without the clip? I would think the clip would irritate the hand after prolonged use but I've run into handles where the clip helps fill the hand nicel, leaving the clipless handle with an inferior feel (yet still the clip would irritate with long use). If anyone else has put one to prolonged use, especially carving, feel free to chime in.

Nice review. I've had the Mini for about a year now. Great for breaking down boxes and also very good for splitting pills in half. Took the clip off & carry in coin pocket every day. :thumbup:

Welcome guys, I'm pretty happy with both versions, no real preference yet for one or the other.
G2

I had the regular Tuff Lite but moved that on to another person as I found that the Mini Tuff Lite for my hand size and needs works great. It is a constant companion and rides in my left back pocket, relegated to box opening for the most part just because it's that handy for such chores and very very sharp. Opened a box for my daughter the other day and I impressed myself on how cleanly and quietly it cut open the top of the package. Very cool little knife.
G2

Hey just want to thank you for this review because of it i bought one of the mini Tuff lite...first off i love this knife, it came surprisingly sharp and a great feel in hand...i also love to tinker so i have been customizing this knife its been simple to work with and its coming out great.

Very cool glad to hear you are liking it, pretty handy knife!
Thanks for the feedback,
G2

Looks like a good work knife. I am getting a little tired of my cryo.
Thanks for the look.

great write up. i don't think i've ever met anyone who wasn't satisfied with the tuff lite series. I've had a mini tuff lite for almost 4 years, I swear that knife does everything. Absolute homerun of a knife by cold steel.

It's funny how most of my knives will end up pulling that duty ;) and yep, this one I'd say excell's at that chore, very handy and pocketable too.
G2

For me the mini felt better
G2

Strigamort, did you remove the clip before you taped it? How did the handle feel with/without the clip? I would think the clip would irritate the hand after prolonged use but I've run into handles where the clip helps fill the hand nicel, leaving the clipless handle with an inferior feel (yet still the clip would irritate with long use). If anyone else has put one to prolonged use, especially carving, feel free to chime in.
Sorry, I never saw this (also, my sn used to be StrigaMort).

I did remove the clip right away as the knife was purchased for wood carving and I didn't really need the clip. I found the handle to be pretty comfy. For long sessions of carving it did get uncomfortable hence the wrap.

I have only the mini but I regard the knife highly both for wood and leather. Those who said it came very sharp are correct. For craft duty you'd likely want to thin the bevel a tad but it's just a wonderful design overall.

Back