• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Cold Steel SCIMITAR

I WANT but it is a liner lock, and I haven't had much luck with liner locks. Has anybody teated the lock on this one?

What does everybody think of it? TIA
smile.gif

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
Hard to say since I haven't touched one yet but some possible pluses are it's a Cold Steel, AUS8, it looks like a neat knife and if their liner locks anywhere near as good as their lockbacks it will probably be worth it. I tend to trust Cold Steel out of the box more than any other production piece I own.

Anyone get their hands on this one yet?

------------------

~Greg~

I previously posted asking the same question. I just got the new CS catalog yesterday, and though I haven't even touched one yet, CS apparently tested the lock to hold 100 pounds. I'm also surprised that they're using a titanium liner lock. Hoping to hear any field testing reports here. Jim

I played with a Scimitar extensively at the shot show 99.Itlocks up tight as a drum, although i wasn`t able to "gorilla-test" it under the watchful eyes of the exibitors.the recurved blade is similar to a vaquero,but the accentuated curve of the handle butt is great! It will greatly aid the return motion after a thrust,and creates a formidable blunt trauma instrument.They will sell a lot of these,I`ll buy the first I can get my hands on

David, thanks for posting. I want a full-size Vaquero Grande or Gunsite this summer and I just found out I get a raise at my summer job this year. I hadn't looked at a Scimitar in person yet. Would you recommend it for someone who will also use it for utility, or am I better off with a VG or Gunsite? The Scimitar sounds like a good handle, but maybe a bit more tactical oriented than I want.

I have the gunsite and can't see how any thing could be tougher. The gunsite is the strongest knife I have bar none.

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

Gwinny,
I have both the vaquero grande {w/clip} and the gunsite.The v.g.is great,but the 6 inch length makes it hang above the pocket 2+ inches. Not subtle in appearance.The gunsite is a real workhorse.If a folder can do it,this one can.It is heavy and tall,though less exposed than the v.g..
You did not define your duty requirements,but unless they are wilderness or military combat, the scimitar will do a good job and be lighter,less conspicouis.

The best thing is to handle each to see which fits your hand best.Except for the accentuated butt,the 4 inch voyager clip point will give an idea how the scimitar will be.I wear xxl gloves and the scimitar felt comfortable with plenty of room.Good luck and BE SHARP!

davidb415

From the pictures I've seen of the Scimitar, it looks like the clip is real high. To me that is a positive because it means it sits real low in the pocket. With that rounded ballish shaped end, it should be a breeze to pull it out of pocket.

Any observations on pocket pull from current Scimitar owners?

Just got them in a while back and although I don't like the design it sure locks up really tight. The clip is metal and is a low profile clip. I must say it is one of the most comfortable knives I have ever held.
scimitar-s.jpg

Nice pic huh!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Great picture Mike. Now, what was it you didn't like about the design (ok, I'll play straignt guy this time)?

If you're looking to spend under $75 or so for a defense-capable 4" class folder, this puppy doesn't look half bad.

There's a theoretical advantage to that blade pattern: on a "straight thrust stab" the force on the blade will be directed towards the spine versus the linerlock. Or at least, it will if you hold it right, that's something I'd practice. Visualize where the tip will "want to go" on a hard-target stab and you'll see what I mean...compare to an AFCK, where the unsharpened spine will try and drive the tip "down" versus up.

Even with a total lock failure, as long as the tip starts the stab in the fully open position it'll be driven up and the lock is no longer critical. As long as the spine stop holds, you're OK.

For a 4" blade, it might end up being the best sub-$120ish piece out there. It may look funky as hell but Kudos to Lynn on this one, so long as the overall quality is OK.

With that blade shape, it might be possible to build a 6" linerlock that can safely stab, a trick AlMar tried and failed to pull off with a dead straight 5.5" blade.

It might be possible to build a horizontal Kydex carry rig that would safely allow sharpening the spine! Then you'd REALLY have a beast...

Jim March

Well I ordered it. I will tell everbody how I like when I get it.

I sure hope it is in stock, I hate waiting.
smile.gif

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

To me the most interesting thing about this design is the solid zytel ball at the end for strikes. Pretty good idea, but this one is still low on my list of knives I want (which seems to include just about half of everything out there, so low is a relative term).

I think this will be a very strong and precise linerlock. I am interested to see how well the mechanism will hold up under long-term use, as Cold Steel only warranties their folders for 1 year...one of my few knocks on an otherwise excellent manufacturer. Jim

Don't get me wrong, the knife is very comfortable. It just does not have that manly look.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Man O Man ....

Just got my Scimitar and this knife is incredible.
This lock locks up tight, as a matter of fact it is the toughest liner-lock I have seen!

I have a few Cold Steel Knives, they are all tough as hell and the locks are solid ..as a matter of fact I will be carrying my Gunsite and my BM CQC7 will be for backup..(My Scimitar is a conversation piece now, but may see service in a while).

Cold Steel may not be the IN thing, but Lynn builds a heck of a good knife. I don't think you will find a tougher liner -lock, mine will not budge using the normal back blade slapping techniques.

I would be interested in a torture test on this knife, I'm sure it would pass with flying colors.

wll

I handled one finally. Great piece. My only concern is that to get a monster-solid lockup they didn't put in any "room for wear", the lock slides positively across the whole face of the tang metal.

Plus, when you grip it for a straight-thrust stab in point-forward, the shape wants to throw the tip "up slightly". That means the pressure is up against the spine stop versus the lock...that's *good*.

The clip is GREAT if you like such things. High and tight, tip-up (proper for defense) yet small enough to escape casual glances. One of the best I've seen, at least if you're right-handed.

My view is, if you're looking for a defense knife in the 4" range and can't afford a "superlock" like the AXIS or something with the REKAT Roller with prices up past $100, this baby is a TOP choice. Between the steel type, the fine delicate serrations and the lack of wear-resistance in the lock this is NOT a good daily utility knife.

But as a "budget streetfighter" for 4" jurisdictions it's a MAJOR winner.

Jim March

Sounds and looks like(from pictures) to be a nice knife, but it does seem odd to me that they decided to introduce a liner lock in a time when customers and manufacturers are searching for a more secure/solid lock style.
I know they are offering the triple-action, but it seems to sacrifice speed opening for that strong lock-up.

Ken

Well my Scimitar was waiting for me when I got home from work.
smile.gif

Here is what I think of it so far.
I tested the lock it is very strong, it looks to me that you could have quite a bit of wear and it still lock up. Hey Jim why do you think any wear will make it fail?
It came very sharp(That was a surprise
wink.gif
)It feel very good in the hand.
I also like the clip. Like Jim says high and tight.

Plus it is nice to pull out a knife and have people stare at it and ask what the He** is that. My Gunsite has benn filling that roll but it will be the Scimitar for awhile.
smile.gif

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

Greg, the specimen I saw had the liner locking up "deep" across the blade metal lock face. As in all the way; a good conventional linerlock is designed so that as the face metal and lock metal wear against each other, rather than resulting in blade play the lock will "slowly drift across the face of the blade metal" and will only need a true repair once it's "out of room to move further".

Makes sense? But the Scimitar is already "all the way over", with the lock metal deep across the tang metal. So to come unlocked, the liner lock has to move a LONG way, which is good from a "can't accidently unlock" point of view. Most linerlocks only get to that point with serious age.

What Cold Steel seems to have done is make the lock metal thick, tough and otherwise "beefy" so it doesn't wear quickly; they've also set it up so it can't snapopen quickly, it has to be thumb-stroked on the stud...probably to decrease wear stress.

This is a GOOD setup for a defense knife that will only get limited workouts in practice if at all, and otherwise would only do heavy cutting "in anger". While there's no "room for wear", it may not be needed in such a role, and the payoff is a linerlock that's as strong as most lockbacks. But it's not as "slick feeling" as a more conventional linerlock can be.

But still...for what it is, a strong functional budget streetfighter that won't break in a fight...it's a hell of a good deal, probably better suited to such a role than the AFCK and at least what, $20 cheaper? More? If I was advising or buying for a newbie who couldn't go "gonzo" due to rules and/or hand size, this will be a top consideration. Excellent "girlfriend should pack SOMETHING" type knife.

It'll sell, for good reasons. Just understand it's limits.

Jim March

Back