Cold Steel Spartan CTS-BD1 vs. AUS-10A

I really wanted to pick up a Spartan before all the BD1 models were gone, but it appears to me now, the AUS-10A model is actually the better of the two steels. I used to have the original AUS-8A version and I liked it a lot. I foolishly sold it and have regretted it ever since. What are all of your thoughts on these three different versions of the Spartan. I don't want to bring the CPM SV-35N version into the discussion because that is only serrated edge and not a regular production model. If they made that version into a production model with a plain edge I'd be all over it.

Last edited:
My thoughts: the Spartan is one of those Cold Steel knives I keep thinking I'll own one day, but haven't yet gotten around to buying. I'd buy it in its present vanilla bean form, AUS-10 and Griv-Ex; though I like the idea of G-10 and S35vn steel, I don't like it at $299.99, and certainly not serrated (I'd only have a fully serrated blade like that if I owned my own knife company and could just throw away a dull one, or one with a few teeth missing, or if I had the patience to sharpen all those little points).

Yea, I agree. I just don't like the looks of it for some reason.
It has a full flat grind and is polished to a high gloss unlike the dull stonewashed finish on the standard model. I think it's a great looking knife to be honest. Then there's the grey colored handle that gives it a unique look all it's own!

Yea, I like OD green a lot. And prefer polished to stonewash. $59 vs. $299 is a big deal to me though. I know they've been on sale for closer to $199 in the past.

Last edited:
Yea, I like OD green a lot. And prefer polished to stonewash. $59 vs. $299 is a big deal to me though. I know they've been on sale for closer to $199 in the past.
I picked up a grey one on sale for around $50. I liked it so much that I purchased a second one. Yeah! That OD Green model is cool but pricey. Keep your eyes peeled they might go on sale eventually.

I used to have the original AUS-8A version and I liked it a lot. I foolishly sold it and have regretted it ever since.
What was it you loved about the AUS8A version? I love that version because of the spine and the fact that it wasn't stone washed. I also have a BD1 model and an AUS10A serrated version. I don't know why people don't like the serrated model.

I'd buy it in its present vanilla bean form, AUS-10 and Griv-Ex; though I like the idea of G-10 and S35vn steel, I don't like it at $299.99, and certainly not serrated (I'd only have a fully serrated blade like that if I owned my own knife company and could just throw away a dull one, or one with a few teeth missing, or if I had the patience to sharpen all those little points).
Lansky has a bone sharpener especially made for Cold Steel serrated blades. It's well under ten bucks and works wonderfully! I just got through sharpening an old 5-inch AUS8A Voyager with one, and even though that old Voyager was still cutting like a champ, the little sharpener turned me into a true believer. Took about five minutes and now my blade is viciously sharp. And that Voyager is now more than 20 years old! I carry it mostly for self defense, but it's still great for cutting cardboard and opening packages.

I can't afford the Lynn Thompson Spartan, but there is a serrated AUS10A model and I like it. The Chinese have a fake Lynn Thompson serrated knife that's too big for my taste. It's blade is only 3mm thick opposed to the 4mm thick on the original, but it's got a serrated blade, and that makes the knife a bit knobby for everyday carry.

What was it you loved about the AUS8A version? I love that version because of the spine and the fact that it wasn't stone washed. I also have a BD1 model and an AUS10A serrated version. I don't know why people don't like the serrated model.

That was probably it. Along with it just seeming very refined. I have some old AUS-8A knives, Seki made and Camillus, and I've have never had a problem with that steel. And it was sharp too. Maybe some nostalgia in my mind as well.

One other thing to mention. From my memory is seemed like the AUS-8A version had a smoother action. I have two of the AUS10 models and they seem stiffer.

Back