Cold steel SRK sk5 pros and cons....

Any updates or further thoughts on this SK5 version of the SRK - upnorth upnorth or others?

I have one. Stripped the coating off, let a friend use it (only time it’s ever been used) stripping bark off of green branches for marshmallow sticks. When he handed it back, the edge looked like this.

esm9bl0.jpg

The chips sharpened out, but I haven’t used it since. I’m thrilled that they reduced the size of the ricasso and I’ll probably pick up one of the 3V versions someday, but the sk5 will be relegated to “letting people who don’t use knives borrow it” use.

I have one. Stripped the coating off, let a friend use it (only time it’s ever been used) stripping bark off of green branches for marshmallow sticks. When he handed it back, the edge looked like this.

esm9bl0.jpg

The chips sharpened out, but I haven’t used it since. I’m thrilled that they reduced the size of the ricasso and I’ll probably pick up one of the 3V versions someday, but the sk5 will be relegated to “letting people who don’t use knives borrow it” use.
Hopefully one of those times when the wire edge or factory edge was worked off or such, and a sharpening will resolve? - have seen and read similar with Fiskars hatchets etc. Who knows though....

Hopefully one of those times when the wire edge or factory edge was worked off or such, and a sharpening will resolve? - have seen and read similar with Fiskars hatchets etc. Who knows though....

Might very well be the case. For some reason I don't understand, Cold Steel also decided to give this knife a hollow grind. While I'm sure other folks will have their own opinions, in my humble opinion a hollow grind doesn't seem to be a good match for the potentially rough use this knife was designed to endure. I have an older saber grind aus8 version that I would trust a lot more than this knife if I really needed it to handle hard use. Again, just my opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

Any updates or further thoughts on this SK5 version of the SRK - upnorth upnorth or others?

Yes, and I will be dead honest. I fully accepted that I might break this knife, and it almost seemed like I wanted to, as I went full out brutal on it, and I'm not screwing around. I smashed through A LOT of pine knots on multiple outings with the wife. I never did break it but I put a permanent slight bend, or set, into the blade, angled off to the right if looking at spine. I didn't overtly notice it but something seemed slightly off. I figured it out by holding the grip against a door frame, then flipping around to do other side. It's not much but a nit picker knife phreak such as myself notice these things. The knife is still fully usable and what I did to it is in no way considered normal use. I normally would go 1/3 this hard on a knife, as I try to use uncommon sense with cutting tool use. Actually I would use a hatchet or axe, but what the hey. I saw it as a survival experiment and to see if I would kill it with insane use. I didn't.

Yes, and I will be dead honest. I fully accepted that I might break this knife, and it almost seemed like I wanted to, as I went full out brutal on it, and I'm not screwing around. I smashed through A LOT of pine knots on multiple outings with the wife. I never did break it but I put a permanent slight bend, or set, into the blade, angled off to the right if looking at spine. I didn't overtly notice it but something seemed slightly off. I figured it out by holding the grip against a door frame, then flipping around to do other side. It's not much but a nit picker knife phreak such as myself notice these things. The knife is still fully usable and what I did to it is in no way considered normal use. I normally would go 1/3 this hard on a knife, as I try to use uncommon sense with cutting tool use. Actually I would use a hatchet or axe, but what the hey. I saw it as a survival experiment and to see if I would kill it with insane use. I didn't.
Great update, appreciate the reply! Thanks!

I’ve tested both the new SK-5 and ‘San Mai’ models..... both, much like the company that produces them, are flea-market/late-night shopping network garbage. I broke the tips on both SK-5’s on the SAME DAY! Chipped the edges of the ‘San Mai’ after a month of consistent use.

I’m shocked that CS produced a CPM-3V version.

I’ve tested both the new SK-5 and ‘San Mai’ models..... both, much like the company that produces them, are flea-market/late-night shopping network garbage. I broke the tips on both SK-5’s on the SAME DAY! Chipped the edges of the ‘San Mai’ after a month of consistent use.

Where did you buy them and how did you use them?

These never get old. Come on now *facepalm*

Cold Steel didn't become a big name and known brand in this industry over night.

If they really sold such low quality products, their reputation would be ruined long time ago.

I personally don't have any compaints on performance of Cold Steel products. And knowing the prices other brands charge for knives of similar performance - Cold Steel is a bargain.

High quality reliable products, designed by people who use knives. That's how I can describe Cold Steel as a consumer.

You kinda have to wonder about the veracity a person with a post count of 3. Anybody that actually uses Cold Steel knows how the products perform. CS knives are designed by users, for users, and are meant to be used.

As for the post count.... We all have to start somewhere.

Well I’m not a designer, but I am a knife user and my SRK’s definitely got used.... they just didn’t last long. I know that’s difficult for the staunch die-hard CS fans to accept, but it’s simply the truth.

These never get old. Come on now *facepalm*

It’s nothing personal. I have several friends and colleagues that swear by your products. But based on personal exp., the SRK SK-5 and San Mai 3 models are IMO, not the greatest quality. The SK-5 is more understandable based on its bargain price.

There’s a reason some folks frown on your company.... I can assure you that clownish, oversized pocket knives and cringey, infomercial style videos are doing more harm than good. Maybe stop making those and perhaps refine your image a tad..... ?

Where did you buy them and how did you use them?

I purchased the San Mai 3 model on Amazon. The SK-5 versions were purchased from Midway(they provided a full refund btw).

The SM3 was used over a period 3-4 weeks in various common knife tasks. The blade chipping likely occurred while trying to slice through a thin PVC pipe(it did sharpen out). All three knives were tip-tested into a tree stump at a camp site. One of the SK-5 tips broke off at that point. The other tip-break occurred later that evening while attempting to baton a piece of pre-cut fire wood.

I realize that no designer/manufacturer wants to admit it, but these things do happen. There are several SRK fail YT videos that perfectly showcase these quality issues.

Last edited:
I can't comment about San Mai since I never owned one. Considering the price it should be superior to SK-5.

About other broken SK-5 SRK I can't comment since I don't own SRK. I did see video of SRK tip breaking off, too.

My experience with Cold Steel comes from using SK-5 Recon Tanto and Drop Forged Hunter in 52100 high carbon.

Recon Tanto and SRK are fairly similar, biggest difference being the tip. Drop Forged Hunter is another story.

Now, plenty of people here will swear by CS products, and I myself will say that they are of great quality. That being said, I also know that there will always be some under performing products and that no production line is perfect.

One gentleman here said that he put his SRK through hell and it survived.
I personally can't talk about SRK since I don't own one. But I own a knife in SK-5 made by Cold Steel and I have only good words about it.
I did tip test my Recon Tanto in the past by prying with it, and it held up perfectly. Just saying.

Back