Cold Steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Stargater, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Stargater

Stargater

Jan 1, 2015
    I also love the older Cold Steel knives and haven't bought a CS in ages.

It's kind of like Smith & Wesson and Ruger DA revolvers. The old S&W 66 and Ruger Security-Six revolvers were wonderful guns. Then both companies screwed the pooch by putting underlugs on their barrels. Why? I guess to try to look like Pythons. But what did we get?

Boat anchors. The S&W 686 and Ruger GP-100s are great range guns, but who wants to carry them hiking, camping, hunting and fishing? Not me.

Now Cold Steel has done the same thing. Their knives are big, overtly heavy, and the Tri-Ad locks, while great, just add too many ounces to the mix. And I'm so sick of the stone washed finishes that I've had it with Cold Steel. I found some of my old stash of knives, including three old CS Pro-Lites. With 440A blades.

Now most 440A knives are horrible. It's crap steel. But not when it's heat treated by Cold Steel. They did superb work with its limited ruin of 440A. Nasty sharp, and keeps an edge sharp! Now they're gone. Only I have some. And they're great.

2. Stargater

Stargater

Jan 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I’m not quite sure what’s going on here but try a Cold Steel American Lawman.

4. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I don t know how anyone can t find a current CS model they like as well as a knife with a 440a blade.
    The Lawman is a great knife. Look at a Code 4. If you want light, look at the Broken Skull.

jlauffer likes this.
  5. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    The triad lock, on a linerless G10 frame is pretty darned light.

6. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I own a Code 4, Ultimate Hunter, and Recon 1. I think they are 4-5 oz. CTS XHP and S35VN. Great knives and great prices. I recommend them often.

Personally, I've never been a "that knife weighs too much" kind of guy. I carry 285 lbs on my 6'7"ish frame. I don't worry about a few ounces here and there.
    If I was hiking 40 miles, then I would count ounces.

You could always snag a BM Bugout at 1.85 oz

7. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I'm kind of lost on the OP's post myself. I have an American Lawman, an Ultimate Hunter, and a Bush Ranger. None of them have blades that are stonewashed. Weight kept to very light (to me) amounts due to lack of liners on all of them. All are very slender making them very easy to carry.

In fact, I bought a Recon1 and had to send it back because it was too slender for my hands to use comfortably as a work knife. That is when I got the Bush Ranger. That knife is almost perfect for me. Light, wonderful sculpting of the handles and made with a great steel.

I would suggest looking at some newer models from the CS catalogue.

Robert

8. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    The stonewash on CS Voyager is beautiful. Also CS folders are usually lighter than other brands.

9. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    the recon 1 for its size is plenty light,one of the best knives for the money out there.

jux t and jlauffer like this.
  10. RealVendetta

RealVendetta Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2019
    I am fairly new to this knife thing but the absolute hissy fit over 2 oz that seems to be so common in the knife world boggles my mind. I carry a cell phone, a knife, keys, a flashlight, and a gun most everywhere I go. What does 2 oz matter? At work I carry even more stuff (albeit not the gun) and I carry a 6+ oz knife with zero issue. Maybe some people need to invest in better belts. Or lay off the skinny jeans. Idk.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    jlauffer and Biochemdawg like this.
  11. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    seriously. When I have to climb a pole or structure at work, fully tooled up, I’m carrying an extra 50-60lbs easy. I swing a 4 pound hammer. And I wear slim fit jeans while carrying over built heavy folders without issue. Honestly I barely ever consciously notice that I’m carrying a knife, unless the clip snags. but it’s always there when I need it, unless I accidentally leave it laying where I used it last.

RealVendetta likes this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) EDC for a skinny old guy . Easy carry . I only notice if NOT there ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

The Whip and RealVendetta like this.
  13. JBC6650

JBC6650 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    If the triad lock is too much for try a Benchmade. A 940 in G10 is light, the axis lock is easy to use and its a nice useable sized blade.