Coldsteel SRK vs. Sog Seal Pup Elite

I'm looking for a beater knife for my b.o.b bag and narrowed my choices down to these two. Which would you go with and why ? I'm leaning towards the Seal Pup.

Seal PUP because it is a bit lighter. Both are great knives but remember ounces equals pounds pounds equal pain. If you have had to bail out I am pretty sure you are gonna be in hurry.

Definitely would recommend the SOG.

Well, I've never had a SOG, so it'd be more accurate to say I'd recommend against the Cold Steel. I've had an SRK for years and never really used it too hard. Last weekend I decided to try some very light batonning with it. It had never been batonned before, in fact never struck with anything, just general cutting and digging in wood. I always thought of it as a fairly tough knife, but this happened at just the third strike with a small length of wood. I left the blade in the wood where it broke, and you can see how far it made it through this very clean wood (no knots, etc.). And I wasn't hitting it very hard, either.

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

Wow! Ive actually been meaning to get an aus8 SRK, but those pictures are making me reconsider! I always thought the SRK was one of the toughest blades for the money.

I'd send that knife back for a free replacement!!
I guess it had a weak tang.
Another reason to look for a full-tang for batoning wood.(or a good Hatchet)

Send that back. They'll give you a new one. No way that should have happened. :eek:

I've used my SRK for years, including tons of batoning. It's been real rugged.

I doubt I'll send it back. It's Carbon V I actually bought it probably 15 or so years ago as a factory second. These are supposed to be sold as seconds only because of cosmetic flaws, so I don't think that had anything to do with it. It was at a great price, and has since dug so mant bullets out of trees and logs that I don't feel I'm really out anything. :D

In looking at the broken blade up close, it doesn't seem to have snapped at a particularly poorly-designed stress point, but it's hard to tell with the tang still in the handle. I may cut it out one day for a closer look.

Also, I'm not here to bash Cold Steel. Those that have them may never run into this, but I don't think I'll order another one for any hard use. They do make a pretty good light camp knife for many tasks.

gargoyle3, I've got a BK7. Great knife. It's been through some harder use and has always held up great. I've also got quite a few other knives that I baton (and worse) with, and they don't blink. That's probably the main reason I won't bother to send it back.

I asked this same question a long while ago and I ended up getting the SOG and my brother got the SRK. The SOG is lighter and easier for controlled cutting, but if you need to cut through a car door or a brick wall go for the SRK. It's a beast. A plus for both is that they each have nice sheaths. Either way you will not be upset.

Back