Colibri

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, hello there!

This kitchen knife model is called 'Colibri'. This one is made from AEB-L razor steel, with a cryogenic quench for maximum radness. The handle is locally sourced yew, (that I stained) which has been in storage for 20 years or more. The ferrule and pin are both 6Al4V titanium. This particular knife was ordered by a local politician who is moving on into federal politics, and I wanted to make it from material native to her home here, so that when she's in the nation's capital, she can bring her knife and always have a reminder of her home town.

I really enjoy making kitchen knives; although there are some general guidelines, there is a lot that's open to interpretation- particularly with handle design. I've made a little over a half dozen kitchen knives, and with every new crack at it, my handles seem to be getting weirder and weirder. This one is certainly a departure from the normal! But, to my way of thinking, weird shouldn't get in the way of utility, particularly when it comes to tools, so I restrained myself with 'just weird enough to work'. The handle is designed for multiple ways of holding it, and try as I might, I could not get my knuckles to hit the cutting board. It's very nicely balanced when using it in a pinch grip, with the thumb and index finger forward of the handle.

I'm currently working on a storage box for this knife, so I'm post that up when done. And a saya, of course, in leather. Also, I'll make sure I post the specifications as well.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my work I look forward to any questions or comments you might have.

Yshb3HI.jpg

pxZfGQk.jpg

8iIgaGj.jpg

vB1k7F9.jpg

XHTvo5U.jpg

aHgbT6Z.jpg

Very nicely done, sir. Almost makes me want to go into politics.

How happy are you with the handle shape (fantastic wood, BTW)? Would you do it that way again?

Very nicely done, sir. Almost makes me want to go into politics.

How happy are you with the handle shape (fantastic wood, BTW)? Would you do it that way again?
thanks so much!

I'm a little sad about the wood, this is the last of the piece of timber I had.

Most of the knives I design/make/use are outdoor/sporting knives, and the handle requirements and are very different from a kitchen knife. After a fair amount of experimentation, the handle shape of Colibri might be what I settle on for knives of this type going forward. It's effective, versatile and comfortable.

So, I'm sitting here wondering what bad I did or didn't do in this or past lives, that this isn't being sent to me.

So, I'm sitting here wondering what bad I did or didn't do in this or past lives, that this isn't being sent to me.
I don't know about all the bad things you've done. Regardless, I could make another and send it to you one day, and all you'd need to do is give me money

Back