Colima Machete ?

Does anybody know anything about Colima machetes ? I have one that was given to me several years ago. It was bought in Mexico, but made in Guatemala. The black and white sticker (looks kinda like a sticker from a Legitimus Collins machete) by the handle say Busque La Marca Colima on it and has a little symbol like a crown below that. It has around a 14" blade and a two-peice plastic riveted handle. I had this in my office in its decorative leather sheath, tassles and all, but decided I needed a shorter machete for certain uses. I just sharpened it with a file and it took and edge very well. A few hard chops on a dry oak fireplace log didn't seem to have any effect on the edge, and the blade gives a pleasant ringing sound when in use.

Has anybody ever used one of these? How do they stack up?

I haven't seen any Colima machetes. I do know that as time went on the Collins company shifted much of their machete production to latin America. I think that Collins branded machetes were made in both Columbia and Guatamala. This may be made from a descendant company. The ringing blade sure sounds like Collins standard products. They used a harder alloy than other companies. I think that it was something like 1084 carbon steel. Other companies use alloys more like 1050.

I also have a Legitimus Collins machete that has a 22" blade. It has a two peice plastic handle with the Legitimus Collins name imprinted in the handle but no visible stamp on the blade. I bought it at a hardware store here in the states somewhere, probably in the late eighties. I've used it for years, but it feels a little on the thick and heavy side for me. It also rings when you tap on the blade. This Colima machete has a little thinner blade which seems to let it penetrate deeper.

I also have a Colima machete, but I think it's relatively old. I found it in my grandfather's possession after he died in 1983 (and it wasn't new then!) I'm guessing it to be at least 40-50 years old. It's about 24" with a wooden handle. Any one have any idea of value?

I also have a Colima machete, but I think it's relatively old. I found it in my grandfather's possession after he died in 1983 (and it wasn't new then!) I'm guessing it to be at least 40-50 years old. It's about 24" with a wooden handle. Any one have any idea of value?

Check for past sales on that auction site and you might see something.

Good clear pictures straight on of both sides and close up of any markings along with sheath are your best bet for folks here that could help.

I've bought new Colima machetes in both Guatemala and in B.C. Canada with in the last few years. I think they are still in production.

Back