"Collecting" automatics and Ohio law...

I checked out the available links but couldn't find any mention of "owning" or "collecting" automatic knives. I am a collector and found an online outfit that will sell autos if your state allows you to "collect" autos. Anyway, so I live in Ohio but it could be shipped to West Virginia. So, any interpretation of Ohio and WV laws regarding collecting would be appreciated!

Andy

I don't see where the state's stand on collecting has anything to do with a federal law against the interstate shipment of the item. My state allows ownership of an auto, but for me to have one shipped would be in violation not of the state's laws but of the federal law. There are lots of sellers who make their own standards about who they will sell autos to with little regard to the actual law. Many will sell to active LEO's and military, even though the law speaks of the exclusion pertaining only to procurement officers who are obtaining them for department use. I have seen sellers who would ship to someone with a CCW permit. Nice logic, but... IMO, the whole auto law is mega-stupid. I have non-auto knives (like a waved Comander) that are faster. I also legally carry pistols that I legally ordered from out of state. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but there is no excuse for ignorant laws. I think the key here is that it is not Ohio's laws you should be concerned about. - Lee

THe Ohio Revised Code says that only LE can legally posess automatic knives. I don't have the exact wording/code right now, but have researched it previously. I know it is in Sec. 2923, but not sure of the exact one.

Back