Collecting gadgets, such as traditional knives, brings me 1st world problems...

Of course this is a fun intended post :)
An example of a "first world problem" that my collecting hobby brings to me, is my need to decide how and where to display my latest collection aquisitions. Almost nothing stays stagnant, as I have to play musical chairs with my items to get everything "just right"... Well, until the next item is acquired, and then the musical chairs process begins all over again to get things "just right" again ;)
Of course it's not really a problem, since I enjoy my hobby immensely. Finding ways to display my collection's latest acquisitions, (in my own little artistic ways), is actually part of the fun :)
So, whether you "accumulate", or "collect", what 1st world problem(s) does it cause YOU!

Here are just a few of my displays that I've recently added to, shuffled contents of, or done a combination of both ;)

Last edited:
Looks great. I am drawn to the Estwing tomahawk you have. I would buy one if one end was a hammer type design. I have no "need" to display any of my knives or firearms. Most would never know I own a knife other than a SAK or a firearm if you entered my home.

Last edited:
Looks great. I am drawn to the Estwing tomahawk you have. I would buy one if one end was a hammer type design on one end. I have no "need" to display any of my knives or firearms. Most would never know I own a knife other than a SAK or a firearm if you entered my home.

Thank you! :)
I have no "need" for it either, just enjoy seeing my collection, and enjoy using it as home decor. It's obviously not going to be something for everyones liking, but of course it was never meant to fit others likes, just my own :)

Of course this is a fun intended post :)
An example of a "first world problem" that my collecting hobby brings to me, is my need to decide how and where to display my latest collection aquisitions. Almost nothing stays stagnant, as I have to play musical chairs with my items to get everything "just right"... Well, until the next item is acquired, and then the musical chairs process begins all over again to get things "just right" again ;)
Of course it's not really a problem, since I enjoy my hobby immensely. Finding ways to display my collection's latest acquisitions, (in my own little artistic ways), is actually part of the fun :)
So, whether you "accumulate", or "collect", what 1st world problem(s) does it cause YOU!

Here are just a few of my displays that I've recently added to, shuffled contents of, or done a combination of both ;)

Side effects of knife and tool collecting include but are not limited to:

Lack of storage space.
Reduced spending money.
Anxiety over which knife to carry.
Anxiety over poor money management.
Concern over whom to leave them to when I die.
Time spent keeping them sharp and oiled.
Money not spent taking care of tools I already own and use.
Wondering, "Where'd THAT one knife get to?"
Embarrassment with friends asking, "How many do you HAVE?"
Embarrassment with wife asking, "When did you buy THAT one?!"
Guilt over the carbon footprint of a big UPS van driving out to my exurban farm to deliver a 1" x 3" 3oz cardboard box.
Magical thinking that little used knives are lonely and deserve more time in pocket or in use.

But it's getting better as i have not acquired another knife since the end of last year! Maybe my 12 steps are just the months in the year without buying another knife!

Zieg

Last edited:
Lack of storage space.
Reduced spending money.
Anxiety over which knife to carry.
Anxiety over poor money management.
Concern over whom to leave them to when I die.
Time spent keeping them sharp and oiled.
Wondering, "Where'd THAT one knife get to?"
Embarrassment with friends asking, "How many do you HAVE?"
Embarrassment with wife asking, "When did you buy THAT one?!"
Guilt over the carbon footprint of a big UPS van driving out to my exurban farm to deliver a 1" x 3" 3oz cardboard box.
Magical thinking that little used knives are lonely and deserve more time in pocket or in use.

I wanted this post to have some fun behind it, and your post gave me a chuckle! So, thanks for adding some fun to it all. That whole bit about magical thinking that knives get lonely without pocket time... Priceless! ;)

I wanted this post to have some fun behind it, and your post gave me a chuckle! So, thanks for adding some fun to it all. That whole bit about magical thinking that knives getting lonely without pocket time... Priceless! ;)
I can hear them murmuring to one another, "Maybe today is the day!" Just like the toys in The Velveteen Rabbit.

Zieg

Hickory n steel,

I'll try my best to not go way off track here from this post's title, but here goes...
I have a knife that I purposely leave at my job to do work related duties. I also keep a sheathed knife in my glove compartment for when a fast food restaurant's plastic knives won't "cut it", or for when I'm in need to devour a block of cheese while out and about in my vehicle.
Then there are the knives I carry on me all the time via my keychain. I say "knives" because no one knife lasts too long on it. Why?... Well, because I always eventually run into someone that appreciates it, and I simply take it off of my keychain and give it away to them. The one prior to this Wenger I currently have on my keychain, was a little Leatherman Style CS multi-tool, but a friend liked it's quality scissors, so off my keychain it went, and onto his :)

Last edited:
Guns and knives I don't display.
I do, however, have a "few" fishing rods 'n reels and a blowgun on "display" ... mainly because the only way I have to store them is to hang them from the ceiling.
(closet is teeny tiny and filled by a old timey straw kitchen broom, my Hawken rifle, a possibles bag, and my tackle box.)

Very nice Remington and Colt cap 'n ball revolvers you have there. Do they ever get to come out and play at the range?

Very nice Remington and Colt cap 'n ball revolvers you have there. Do they ever get to come out and play at the range?

Thank you! :)

And, no, the items in my display cases/display boxes are strictly kept as conversation pieces, as decor, and as a collection of "do-dads" that constantly brings me to smile :)

Collecting certain "gadgets" is simply a big hobby for me.

I know some may think that these items are not being used in any way, but they would be very wrong to think that, imo.
What do I mean?... Well, you see, since they're being displayed, they have made for some great conversation pieces. They also work in adding a unique touch of decor to my personal living space. And, they do a great job at avoiding my space from becoming just another ho-hum/boring environment. But, most importantly, they cause me, and often others, to smile! :)
So, they are certainly being used, just not necessarily in the manner most would consider as their main purpose(s) :)

The following picture shows an example of how my collection has become very diverse.

Traditional knives may be the biggest factor in my collecting hobby, but I'm certainly not just locked into only acquiring them. I am one who truly thinks outside the box, (pun not intended). As one kind poster wrote above, it's a "very interesting collection". Well, I think so too, and in the end, that's all that really matters :)

Btw, I actually did get started in ownership and shooting of handguns with a Colt reproduction black powder cap and ball revolver. I purchased it as a young man, maybe when I was about 20 or 21 years old, (my being 53 now). I still occasionally go out and blast handgun "caps", (as they say), but in the form of my Glock pistol, (for fun AND to stay proficient).
The two reproductions in the display case above were purchased solely for my collection of do-dads. One is a repro Colt by Pietta, and the other a repro Remington by Uberti.

Last edited:
The only knives you would see in my house are user knives. All the good stuff is hidden away. But I do enjoy getting them out from time to time, no fancy display cases either. Same with guns. You walk in the gun room and see a nice collection of old Browning's in the gun cabinet. If people only knew what they don't see. I tend to get knives I would intend to use - but not always use them. And I have a bunch I am soon going to give to my son instead of waiting for inheritance.

Putting some of my “prettier” knives on display has proven to be more of a solution than a problem.

In the past all my knives were all stored away in Plano boxes or a Gerstner chest. Most still are, but I recently purchased a few display cases to spruce up my office/man cave. They are hinged so I can easily remove a knife if I wish to carry it, and I now get to enjoy my knives every time I enter—or even walk past—my office.

It’s nice to be able to enjoy some of my knives without having to drag out boxes, and I think it has served to curtail my buying...somewhat.

Back