Collecting sweet chestnuts - assisted by the 14 - pic heavy

Wasty

Platinum Member
Last weekend my girlfriend and me went into the Palatinate Forest to collect sweet chestnuts and go for a small* hike.
I brought my 14 as edc (two weeks old, loving it, already modded it a bit, perfect edc knife!)

19af5.jpg

As my better half really loves sweet chestnuts, she could not resist starting the collecting quite early in the hike and thus I've had time to take lots of pics of the beautiful Pfälzer Wald :)

orVRv.jpg

This part of the forest is quite unkempt and therefore the perfect backround for the 14 :D

BIk8L.jpg

cExXk.jpg

vDXp.jpg

RLY9e.jpg

Well, after her backpack was full, we shared the load and hiked on through forests, hills and the beautiful autumn here in south Germany.

ge27M.jpg

One funny thing occurred: When walking along a pasture, there was a donkey - coming over to us, grumbling, wanting the apple my girlfriend was eating very very badly...

He got it and was an very happy donkey afterwards:)

hAaT4.jpg

I even found something scary (Yep, it was on Saturday, Halloween) A knot in a tree, that looked quite like a skull:

ELMHA.jpg

We walked and walked, rewarded with a new highlight every few steps:

fYXBb.jpg

iPRpj.jpg

0k2Bl.jpg

WK8kl.jpg

RtvT6.jpg

39v05.jpg

...*all in all we took 7 hours and did 26km.

After we got home there was some work left:

jm6xd.jpg

3,2 kg of sweet chestnuts to roast... I'm quite happy you can put them into the freezer:)

On this hike the 14 excelled at the following jobs:
- Stabbing chestnuts
- Prying the nuts from their thorny shells
- Carving a toothpick
- Preparing food (Cutting rolls, apples, sausages...)

Thanks for reading, it was a really enjoyable day!

Fantastic pics! Thanks a lot for posting! I have no idea how far you traveled or how many nuts you gathered but it seemed worth it. Very nice.

That's pretty cool. I love how the "small" hike turned into 26km.....(I'll translate for those non-metric brethren: that's a whopping 16+ miles) not "small" at all! I'm surprised you had any energy at all left over for chestnuts when you got home. Great scenery; thanks for all the pics!

Well, we were both quite overweight two years ago and then our TV sent smokesignals and quit. At the same time a small gym opened in our neighborhood... We were curious and went there. The owners are now friends and we work out 4-5days a week. We both lost lots of weight, took up mountainbiking and I rediscovered my love for the outdoors:) Beeing a knifenut and former boyscout, made up for the rest;)

If the time permits, we go hiking, camping, cycling, and the process of getting in shape is so good when you feel capable again:)

Anyway, next weekend there will be another small hike with the 14 accompanying us!

Awesome stuff man. Pretty area.

Awesome photo's! looks like a beautiful place! thanks for sharing!

Well, we were both quite overweight two years ago and then our TV sent smokesignals and quit. At the same time a small gym opened in our neighborhood... We were curious and went there. The owners are now friends and we work out 4-5days a week. We both lost lots of weight, took up mountainbiking and I rediscovered my love for the outdoors:) Beeing a knifenut and former boyscout, made up for the rest;)

If the time permits, we go hiking, camping, cycling, and the process of getting in shape is so good when you feel capable again:)

Anyway, next weekend there will be another small hike with the 14 accompanying us!

Love it! The pics were great, looking forward to more in the future!

All I have ever heard of is "chestnuts", but everytime you referred to them as "sweet chestnuts". Are there "bitter" ones, or "salty" ones, or ........ as well?

They don't grow here in central Texas, and only rarely show up in stores.

Looks like a great day.
Love that rock wall.
Thanks for the pics.

Back