CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

Dumb ole Me. At first glance, I thought "that's a weird grind for a spey blade". Not too far fetched as there are knives out there with a single spey blade, CK's Farmer Jack comes to mind.

DM5zv7G.jpg

The screws that attach the covers certainly don't make the knife a non-traditional. Seems to me that LVG4 shows some knives with screws in the covers. The feature I don't like on this knife is the adjustable pivot. There's been more than one DA or Assistant DA that has adjusted the pivot on a knife in order to make it into a gravity knife. Charley Mike could probably say a thing or two about this if he runs across this thread.

Anyway, Mike's efforts here are to applauded, at least as fr as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
This one had me looking at it a couple times yesterday. It is pretty interesting. My initial impression is I'd probably need to have it in hand for an honest assessment.

I don't care for tanto blades, but I do like reverse tanto. I have one fixed reverse tanto, and it's essentially the same as a drop point (or clipped spear in this case), at least for regular cutting tasks.

I appreciated the attempt to be creative and make something new. Not an easy thing to pull off in the knife world.

I'd prefer a different blade shape, like a drop point or spear blade like on the Opera, but I do like the rest of the knife.

Can't get past that blade shape I'm afraid. I know beauty is only skin deep and stuff but then I'm obviously a shallow individual.

knifeswapper knifeswapper -- my only question is, why 'bolus'? doesn't that refer to a mass of chewed food shaped by the tongue in preparation for swallowing?

i'm down for a carbon fiber, to match all my other lionsteel x ck knives ;)

That handle shape looks so comfortable, I love the steel choice, but that blade is just not my cup of tea. that being said, if I had one in hand and used it for a while, I could see myself growing to like it. I can appreciate the short clip, nice point and belly on the blade, but aesthetically, it doesn't appeal to my eye. As is, put a thumb stud instead of that nick, and a pocket clip and it's a whole different ball game, would be an excellent work/carpentry knife.

Hmm... some of these comments have me thinking... spyderco made a name for themselves with ugly knives (personal taste), that simply work well. Kinda curious if this could fall into that category somewhat even though it's still prettier than most spydercos I've owned and tried.

knifeswapper knifeswapper -- my only question is, why 'bolus'?

When I was a kid and we worked cattle, until I was 10 or so my job was to take the pill pusher and shove a bolus (large pill) down the throat. They were very large oblong pills, like 2" x 3/4". My main goal with this knife was no sharp / protruding edges when closed. When I was thinking what I wanted it to look like, those old bolus pills came to mind. Since the name is rather arbitrary anyway - it stuck.

It reminds me of the blade shape on the Benchmade Contego (I attempted to tastefully crop it so as not to show the untraditional handle, sorry about the thumb stud :confused:)

BztthKA.jpg

Funny, I was thinking it looked more like a 940.

As I look at it longer I think I would like it 10x more if it were nick-less altogether. The blade shape isn't bad, but the nick seems like it came off a different knife or something.

As I look at it longer I think I would like it 10x more if it were nick-less altogether. The blade shape isn't bad, but the nick seems like it came off a different knife or something.

I really struggled with that, but in the end just felt like a two-sided pull right where it would be pinchable - might be beneficial. As we are trying to tighten the springs up a bit.

I like everything about this knife. It's unique, snap sounded amazing in the video, the lanyard implementation is super sleek, the nick probably makes gripping feel great, and it just looks badass.

Imho, the one’s you don’t always like can wind up being one of the best users you have. I am still on the fence with this one, would definitely have to see one in hand. The Rounhead and the Teardrop EO sfo’s I was familiar enough with the handle shape to know I would like them right off. To each their own!

Back