Collins Boy's Axe project - start to finish - Merry Xmas Bro!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by OutdoorEnvy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Hey folks, here's an axe project I thought I'd share. My brother really likes the older axes I've restored and use so I thought a good boy's axe user would be a cool xmas gift from big brother. So let's get started. The axe head I got was a Collins and in very good shape. In fact I don't think it was used much if any. Below is how it arrived

[​IMG]

As you can see the final edge was never put on. So that was the first step. Getting rid of that dull secondary bevel and putting that nice convex on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had this handle a couple years now. It had pretty good grain and at the time I just bought few of them. As most hardware store handles the shoulder area is very clublike. Way too thick.

[​IMG]

I like getting the head set where I like it. Then working down the shoulder and sides. Once you have the spot you know where to start removing wood. Here's a few shots showing the fitting and thinning work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a rasp on the sides

[​IMG]

now working on sanding it down

[​IMG]

looking much better, sanded off the light varnish it had

[​IMG]

setting the head. Since this won't be my axe and I know my brother doesn't know much about hanging axes. I decided to take every extra precaution to ensure the head doesn't come loose. I left a good 1/3" sticking out the top and I put a little wood glue on the wedge, and got a very tight fit

[​IMG]

This True Temper hewing hatchet is the best tool I have for setting metal wedges. It weighs over 2lbs and the flat square poll is perfect for driving it in even.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That head won't be coming loose or off anytime soon

Now for my favorite part. Linseed oil :) I love watching the wood come to life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a good fit. No gaps

[​IMG]

here you can see how the thinning worked out. It's where it should be and feels great when you choke up on it.

[​IMG]

Well I still plan to clean up the shoulder a bit more with light sanding. Some of the rasp cuts went a bit deep. But other than that and few more coats of oil, and a sheath and it'll be done. I'll do a post within the next couple weeks swinging it a little to make sure the edge profile is where it needs to be. I grabbed a piece of seasoned elm to see how it would curl.

[​IMG]

works pretty good so far. And that's just the file edge, haven't even touched a stone to it yet :)

Thanks for looking

2. utah_fish

utah_fish Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Very well done! Love the boys axes and this ones a real cherry. Thanks for sharing.

3. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks man. Glad you like it. That condition is about as good as you can hope for on the old heads.

4. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    lookin' good OE!

5. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Nice looking axe and a great gift! It has such a light coloration but it does have those depressions from previous rust. I wonder if someone used electrolysis? Seems too light colored to have been vinegar.

6. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks M3mphis, I was thinking the same thing on it. No brush or sanding marks and I've never seen vinegar turn out like that. Has to be electrolysis. Unless there's something out there I don't yet know about.

7. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    I will add I do like it. I've never tried electrolysis before but it's peaked my interest for sure.

8. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Nicely done! I hope your brother appreciates as much as we do.

9. halfaxe

halfaxe

Nov 29, 2012
    That is a handy good looking tool now that anyone could appreciate.

10. Coroa

Coroa

Nov 15, 2013
    Looks fantastic!

11. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it!

12. liamstrain

liamstrain

Jan 16, 2013
    Great work. That will make a fine gift.

13. Yob452

Yob452

Nov 22, 2013
    Very cool. I would be stoked to receive that as a gift, for sure. The sheath will be icing on the ax, so to speak.

14. WarnerB

WarnerB

Oct 29, 2012
    Turned out nice!

15. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Great looking axe project. Those Collins axes from the 80's all have very similar looking heads like that with the coloration, the structure of the metal, etc. Must of been something with the manufacturing process they had then.

16. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Hey folks, I took out the axe to make sure it performed like I wanted it to and to make sure there were no issues or final edge adjustments needed.

I started out limbing this oak I had felled earlier in the year

[​IMG]

then bucked out a log

[​IMG]

then split it down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

worked pretty good. I'd be happy to carry and use this axe so I know it should serve him well.

Here's the axe finished and the sheath I made up for it. Not fancy but will do the job and should hold up good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for looking

17. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That's great! I'd be pleased as punch to use that axe.