Collins & Co. 1840 NCO sword questions

Ranger1

Gold Member
My first sword question, so please be nice…

I inherited these from my grandfather, he had them displayed on his wall in a crossed configuration with his Lt. Col. commission hanging between them.

I would like to move them on to someone who will appreciate them, I have other things to remember him by and I am unsure of the value of these swords. I have seen other references to older auctions, but nothing current. The overall condition seems to be quite good, but I am guessing that the handle and guard have been polished and lacquered in some way so as to keep the bright finish. The blades are without nicks and the tips are intact.

There are no sheaths.

So, could someone give me a possible value for these? If I sell them, I will certainly offer them up here first rather than carry them around at a gun show. I would rather see them go to someone who would appreciate them.

Thank you in advance for your help.View attachment 1162889 View attachment 1162890 View attachment 1162891 View attachment 1162892

Well, I wouldn't sell them too short. The condition of both look very good, with great marks. They would sell very quickly at that price, as even an Ames without a scabbard can fetch $300 in than condition.

If I were listing them, I'd sell them as a pair and starting at about $750 (buy it now) or best offer. Singly at $400 or best offer.

Cheers
GC

Back