Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

Picked this up in an antique store today, I couldn’t pass on it for $5. It’s not a premium example of a Colonial but it is marked Prov. RI, nice heft, brass liners, good W/T, it will be a great user for one of the grandkids.
upload_2020-5-10_19-47-36.jpeg
Nicer than the Chinese knives they give today, I’ll take these all day long.

Here are a couple I don't think I've posted.
ue1rGPw.jpg

Three springs, no crinking:
rMRgZCw.jpg

74v8ZMq.jpg

And a sheet-handled jack, main blade a hair over 3 inches.
IUd6TBS.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks, I was going through knife box and ran across this Forest Master.
Then found this Colonial forum and thought I would see if anyone might date it for me. It may have come from my Grandfather out of mid west Oklahoma. Other than age, doesn't look used or ever sharpened.
Thanks

IMG_E2815.JPG IMG_E2816.JPG

Hi Folks, I was going through knife box and ran across this Forest Master.
Then found this Colonial forum and thought I would see if anyone might date it for me. It may have come from my Grandfather out of mid west Oklahoma. Other than age, doesn't look used or ever sharpened.
Thanks

View attachment 1502478 View attachment 1502479
If you search this thread for "Forest", there are about 3 pages worth of "hits" that come up, almost all with something about Forest-Masters. Early on in the thread, I asked for help dating my Forest-Master, and the OP posted some interesting info and pics in Post #27. The conversation continued on the third page of the thread. Here's a summary: It's complicated. :rolleyes:

- GT

Does anyone know if the Colonial Ranger Scrimshaw Series Stockman was stainless or 1075 like the other Rangers?

Seems most, if not all, Ranger 933’s were 1075, but all the Scrimshaw Series knives I see show no rust. Thanks.

Picked this up in an antique store today, I couldn’t pass on it for $5. It’s not a premium example of a Colonial but it is marked Prov. RI, nice heft, brass liners, good W/T, it will be a great user for one of the grandkids.
View attachment 1338078
Nicer than the Chinese knives they give today, I’ll take these all day long.

Interesting…correlation? It appears to be a mass produced knife but not a bad quality.

zXlq5xH.jpg

I wonder what the story is there … from what I was reading last night, there hadn’t been any real connection between the companies since at least their early days (?). Maybe some third party licensed the design?
As I recall hearing it, the companies belonged to intermarried families from the same town in Italy, and big brother Imperial shared a lot of intellectual property with Colonial. I think the relationship was close until Imperial got bought by Schrade and Colonial didn't. But I'm guessing.

Here's a 99¢ knife I picked up last August. I got it more out of curiosity than anything. The Colonial name has been a part of my life on-and-off for the past 65 years or more, but I don't recall ever having seen a Colonial of this style. With only a few stains on the blade and tools, the knife is really in great condition. It doesn't look to have ever been sharpened, although it may have seen some very light cutting, if any at all. And likely spending most of its life shuffling around in a desk drawer somewhere, it had picked up some light nicks and scratches on the handle scales; most have polished out easily with the aid of a Miracle Cloth and my trusty old no-show, cotton crew sock.

Ever since acquiring this knife, the Trail's End imprint has looked eerily familiar to me, however I've not been able to pinpoint why until the past week or so. It turns out to be the same image as used on Cub Scout popcorn packages back in the days when my son was a Cub Scout. I recently read that these knives were offered as popcorn sales bonuses to scouts. I can't verify that though, as my son never enjoyed selling that stuff and my memory isn't what it once was.

I see where Colonial apparently made these in a deep green color as well. Ha! Now I have another one to add to my dream list. Oh well, it's the thrill of the hunt, isn't it?

The original poster in this thread seems to have quite the knowledge base regarding Colonials, but I still can't seem to find much information about this particular model. If anyone has information about this particular model that they would be willing to share here, I would really appreciate it. Inquiring minds want to know, doncha know?

20230514_073034-E14-DDS.jpg

Pitting, staining, and a slight bit of shrinkage aside, this is a solid little knife - with half stops. It walks. It talks. It cuts. And in my book, it even looks good. Made in U.S.A. too.

This Colonial jackknife has been in my pocket, off & on, for the past 3-4 weeks while I polish it up a bit. It's coming along nicely.
Also posted in the Thrifty Thursday thread.
20230524_220518-E-DDS.jpg

I've been working on these, and didn't want to wait for thrifty Thursday.
The top one I bought new at a store, probably because it was big.
The middle one I bought for $8 Saturday. Somebody has cleaned it very roughly, but not done it much harm.
cbaYBZG.jpg

The stockman has been lying around the basement forever (well, 9 years max in this basement, but I don't remember if it moved here with me). It's of the snap-on faux bolster variety, and it was missing one. The new JB Weld simulacrum would have come out better if I hadn't removed the scotch tape dam too early and dropped the knife before the epoxy was fully set. It acts as if I never oiled it before, but I'm getting more tolerant of my fellow decrepits. I'll carry it today.
JhHtaas.jpg

Good morning all,

I've searched until my eyes have crossed. Now, with that being said, can anyone direct me to a source to find the most comprehensive listing of Colonial tang stamps available? I do understand that dating said tang stamps may be an impossibility, but just a pictorial listing would be nice. I'm only inquiring about the Colonial knives, not the other names they manufactured over the years. But hey, if you have dating information too...

Have a grand day,
Frank - aka - DirtDawg

Good morning all,

I've searched until my eyes have crossed. Now, with that being said, can anyone direct me to a source to find the most comprehensive listing of Colonial tang stamps available? I do understand that dating said tang stamps may be an impossibility, but just a pictorial listing would be nice. I'm only inquiring about the Colonial knives, not the other names they manufactured over the years. But hey, if you have dating information too...

Have a grand day,
Frank - aka - DirtDawg
If such a list isn't back in this thread somewhere, I wouldn't know where to look.

Good morning all,

Have a grand day,
Frank - aka - DirtDawg
PMd you. Not a lot, but still.

Back