Colt M-16 Auto/Manual

I just visited PV knives and saw the Colt M-16 knife. It looks pretty good and is kind of a neat idea, but has any one actually owned one and what are your opinions on this knife and the usefullness of its design?

AG

Banned
Hi,

I have had the chance to inspect this knife few days ago. It is a Double Action knife (DA) which means that you can either open it one-handed with the help of a little stud or automaticlly via pushing a hiiden button on the handle. The overall feel of the knife is that it is quality made. The handle seems to be black anodized aluminum (ala BM style) and it features rubber inserts - one of them provides the button for the auto opening.

The blade is a 50/50 serrated with a tanto design with anti-glare grey coating. The disappointment here is that it is made of 440 steel (which means 440A in the better case and god knows what in worst case) and it comes very sharp.

Overall I liked the Colt M-16 DA. It is the first DA knife I had the chance to hold (sorry Microtch, your turn will come soon). It is very tempting to buy one if not only for the gimmick of the DA feature.

Not a bad little auto from what I ahve seen.
CT-4000.jpg

Here is the copy I wrote for the pic.

Colt does it again with this new auto based on the very successful AR-15 model. The new M-16 comes equipped with a partially serrated blade ready for action. This auto features a unique hidden button release which is molded into the knife itself. The front rubber insert rests on a rocker panel which when pushed releases the 3 1/4" blade. The knife uses a traditional spring mechanism which the user can install in 10 seconds! This way if you travel you can also remove the spring from the knife making it perfectly legal in most every state. The spring can actually be put in, or removed from the knife without taking the knife apart!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Thanks guys. Do you have any suggestions on where the cheapest place to order one is? Also, since were talking about Colt, are their fixed blade knives any good?

<a href="http://www.bladeforums.com/links/html/sgp132.html">Click Here</a>

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

I havent tried to remove the spring from mine yet,but it looks like you should remove the blade first for safety.That is what the instructions recommend.The knife comes with wrenches and diagram to field strip it.

Gohmer

Hey Gohmer

Since you actually own one, what are your opinions on the fit, finish, and overall feel of the knife? Is it worth 70 bucks? I heard that the knife was made by United cutlery, which kind of makes me leary of buying one.

Also Gohmer,

When the knife has the auto spring installed but is still opened manually, how noticeable would it be(to the untrained eye) that the knife is really an auto?

It would not be noticable at all. Also the spring can be installed and removed without removing the blade. Just pull the blade back at a 3/4 opening.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Spoonslayer

The only thing I dont like is the mid lock. Im used to a liner now and the Colt is awkward to close for me.I think it is definately worth the money.

Gohmer

I bought one, the knife has a nice feel to it, but it doesn't always open fully. Seems like every other time I open it the blade springs out 1/2 - 3/4, then hangs. Lube didn't seem to help. Maybe I need to "adjust" the leaf spring alittle?

Anyone else have this problem?

Bill

Bill,

You need to adjust the pivot. It may be too tight.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Thanks for all the help guys, this knive has officially been added to my "must buy" list!

One final thing-
Since the knives are sold in kit form, does that mean you dont have to be Military or LE to order one?

Back