Combat Elite RRF Pivot construction?

What is the pivot construction of the Combat Elite RRF? Does it have a bushing with washers? or no bushing with washers?
Thanks for any responses.

I believe its just washers.

Mr. Ralph had a discussion (I believe it was him directly) concerning tolerances that brought up methods of pivot construction.

As I recall it is just a pivot pin and a washer on either side of the blade. No bushings or anything fancy to be found on this folder, and I don't think it really needs it as it works great as it is.

I don't really get why some people get so hung up on details like this. I have seen makers and factories get great results using just about every method available. It really depends more on how much attention and detail was put into finishing and fitting the parts together than what they are. IMHO it would be very difficult to tell the different types apart if given a few knives of high quality construction and not allowed to look but use touch only.

question this morning before the post man came. The post man brought his blade today and I must say it is a nice piece of work. It looks like there are 2 brass washers on either side, one side bigger than the other. I would also guess no bushing. Lock up is nice, with the frame lock position about half way. Plenty of room for break in. Amazingly enough it just came in a plastic bag. Clip and tip up carry works well with a braided lanyard and skull. My son is impressed, and likes the blade. Hairs were jumping off the blade, so no complaints about the sharpness. First time I tried a flip lock and it is a breeze. You can go either way, thumb flick or flip lock. Thumb flick, you just need to be sure you do not get in the way of the flipper and stop the blade. Very smooth knife and the S30V is going to be a treat for him.

Yeah that plastic bag is a bit of a shocker eh?

The earlier ones came in a nice cordura case, now you get the skull thing and no case, hmmm.

I was a bit dissapointed that there was no bushing to be honest, it would have been a nice (even if not strictly neccessary) touch.

Its a groovy little folder though.

kind of a waste. Just take up room. Microtechs come in these nice fancy boxes and after you open them up, you just need to find room to keep the boxes. Platic bag is nice, don't need to worry about storing the box, which is kind of worthless after you open it up anyway. I would rather get a cut price on the blade. Same as OEM computer hardware. Just get a non static bag, install your hardware and your done. With my boxed graphics cards, I have to find storage space for it.

While some really like bushings and feel they are the best way to go, the RRF was designed to be a simple, straight forward folder. A bushing adds another part to the the mix in construction that isn't really needed.

Folks,
If you were shipped the knife in the time frame that we were out of cases we will be glad to send you one.
Here is the number to call 870 423 3319.
We use P bronze washers and a hardened stainless pivot to make our knives.
With a bushing it will add greater tolerance "more surfaces" to the pivot by adding another fit.
We just try to use tight fit theory to make the best knives we can.
I hope this explains the situation for you.

Darrel Ralph said:
Folks,
If you were shipped the knife in the time frame that we were out of cases we will be glad to send you one.

That's nice.:thumbup: I just bought one, mint, from someone who must have gotten it during that time frame because I didn't get a case with it. That go for me too?

This is a great little knife. It's one of the toughest most business-like little folders I've seen in a while. It's going to be my vacation knife for when I don't know what the length limits are because it's only got a 3" blade. It fits the hand well and has the thickest handle scales of any framelock I've seen. I don't like flippers and would rather not have it in the way, but I can overlook it on this knife.

I got a Level 2 in a trade a short time ago and was so impressed that I just HAD to get the RRS. Now, I'm working on getting a couple of the autos. Combat Elite doesn't get enough press or forum talk, IMHO.:thumbup:

Hey Darrel,

I got an RRF a couple of weeks ago. I love it and recommed it to everyone. I can call the number that you gave but I would prefer to send an email if possible. My name and address requires spelling everything over the phone. It's just much easier to send it via email and type it out, if that would work. If not, I'll call.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks Darrel!! I got mine for Christmas, and alas it had no case. I will call! THANKS! I LOVE my RRF too, and recommend it too anyone who will listen!!

Darrel Ralph said:
Folks,
We use P bronze washers and a hardened stainless pivot to make our knives.
With a bushing it will add greater tolerance "more surfaces" to the pivot by adding another fit.
We just try to use tight fit theory to make the best knives we can.
I hope this explains the situation for you.

A very generous offer Mr. Ralph, would you be willing to send one overseas in a simple envelope? ;)

Another question, what is the factory torque on the pivot screw usually set to. I have a smidgen of lateral play (And I mean a smidgen) but, being a nerd it bothers me some :)

Temper said:
Another question, what is the factory torque on the pivot screw usually set to. I have a smidgen of lateral play (And I mean a smidgen) but, being a nerd it bothers me some :)

Mine did too. I tightened it, but now it don't flip (which I don't do anyhow). With the bronze washers, I think you could probably tighten it and it would wear smooth so you have good opening with no play. Just a guess.

Anybody know if non-deep-carry clips can be had for these?:confused: I don't like the way my pocket gets caught on the edge of the clip and screws while sliding it down on my pocket. I prefer the more common pocket clip style.

Back