Comfortable Cargo Pants

Piso Mojado

Basic Member
I've worn out a bunch of L.L.Bean Pathfinder Pants (canvas) and I liked them. Bean's half-ass catalog photograph:

252124_0_44

Low profile pockets on the thighs, not true cargo pockets but good for things like my Canon A570.

32314644-2-440-bag-4.gif

I've learned to like hook and loop pocket fasteners but I'm not committed to them. I don't like Bean's build quality and price, and I want something a little sturdier or a little cheaper. Dress is not a factor, nor is indestructibility. The farthest I get into the woods is hiking the Illinois River bluff trails at Starved Rock.

IMG_0916-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I do a lot of my hiking in Starved Rock also we're neighbors :) I found Vertx pants and shorts all I wear now check them out.

Vertx pants are great. I just got their Vertx Phantom Featherlite pant that they just came out with. Definitely lighter than the original, but very similar design from what I can see. Hopefully they will keep me from getting swampy this summer.

Have you found that their sizes run about a size small? I've heard that from several people. ie if you normally wear say a 30 waist you should order a 31. That's the main reason I haven't ordered any yet. I can't find any Canadian sellers and the places I've checked in the US charge $20 to ship. I don't want to have to return due to wrong size after spending $20 on shipping.

I usually go a size up, but I also wear a belt, so it doesn't bother me if they are a tad big. I have several of their pants including the original and lt. They fit a little loose at a size up, but I would rather that then tight.

Thanks for the info. If you happen to have any pics of you wearing them I wouldn't mind seeing them so I can get a better idea of the fit.
If not, no problem.

I usually go a size up, but I also wear a belt, so it doesn't bother me if they are a tad big. I have several of their pants including the original and lt. They fit a little loose at a size up, but I would rather that then tight.

T.A.D gear pants they cost a bit but will never let you down. Prana is also not bad. I did a review of my T.A.D amphibious pants on the busse forum about a year ago and they still look brand new and I've beat the hell out of them.

The TAD pant are great they dry super fast and if you can find my review you can see how much they can hold...I've tried to stain them with grass,mud, wore them not the same pair in several combat zones. The main thing about all these tech pants is to not cut or burn any lose threads you may see they're there for a reason for stretching of seams over time and shrinkage and I think another reason or 2....you get what you pay for and if comfort is important then TAD and prana are where to start.... FYI prana is usually in stock at most REI stores and TAD fits true to size and customer service is excellent.

Check out Duluth Tradings Firehose Pants. They come in carpenter and cargo styles, and have a light weight slightly stretchy version. They are on the expensive side though. I have 2 pair of the light weight stretchy ones that I alternate for work 6 days a week, and over a year they have not worn or failed yet. The good thing, if you do manage to tear or wear them out they will replace them for free. I work in industrial fabrication and do a lot of climbing, crawling, kneeling & such and have been thoroughly impressed with their durability.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

I bought Craghoppers Classic Kiwi trousers and Vertx Tactical Shorts because they were $20 and $16 on the big closeout site. I got Vertx a size up because that was what they had. I'm going to the Carhartt store tomorrow, Wally World to try on Wranglers, and I found a place to try on 5.11. Discounts on all of those online, so Fire Hose will wait for a sale.

I had no idea all this stuff was there.

LEGION, one winter at Starved Rock with my wife, we were out on the river bluff trails when the sun set. New moon, starless night, and neither of us had a light. I don't mind telling you I was scared. No one has worked on the trails since 1998, and some of those canyons are 100 feet deep. Then my wife said "Piso, there is something there." Really? I thought this was the Twilight Zone. Then I saw something right in front of us: it was big and it was moving. Mother of Mercy, what could it be? It was a deer. Some of them are pretty tame, and this one thought we had come with her bedtime snack.

whitetail_deer_lg1-300x242.jpg

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

I bought Craghoppers Classic Kiwi trousers and Vertx Tactical Shorts because they were $20 and $16 on the big closeout site. I got Vertx a size up because that was what they had. I'm going to the Carhartt store tomorrow, Wally World to try on Wranglers, and I found a place to try on 5.11. Discounts on all of those online, so Fire Hose will wait for a sale.

I had no idea all this stuff was there.

LEGION, one winter at Starved Rock with my wife, we were out on the river bluff trails when the sun set. New moon, starless night, and neither of us had a light. I don't mind telling you I was scared. No one has worked on the trails since 1998, and some of those canyons are 100 feet deep. Then my wife said "Piso, there is something there." Really? I thought this was the Twilight Zone. Then I saw something right in front of us: it was big and it was moving. Mother of Mercy, what could it be? It was a deer. Some of them are pretty tame, and this one thought we had come with her bedtime snack.

whitetail_deer_lg1-300x242.jpg

Awesome haven't been there in the winter in a long time and yes the deer seem to all be tame. Plan on heading there for a long weekend soon. The whole park is a little spooky especially at night because of the history of the place but it's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Wrangler for me.

Same here. I wear cargos every day at work as part of my uniform. My company supplies pants but they're terrible so I have to buy my own. I've tried a few brands like 5.11 and Dickie's and I prefer the Wranglers. They're comfortable and durable. And cheap! I generally get 6 months or so out of them before they need to be repleced. They don't fade too bad, the pockets are large enough to hold everything I need and there is a small "tech" pocket on the outside of the left thigh that holds my phone perfectly. Much easier than having it in the left hip pocket when you're wearing a gun belt. The only problem I have with them is that some times the sizes vary. I typically wear a 38 but sometimes they run small. Some times they run large. Other than that they're good work pants and at $18 a pair I don't have to worry or care about them.

Back