Comment on Liner Lock Failures

Well I'm just a knife-knut.
One reason why I love my C-15 (spyderco - terzuola) is that I can completely take the knife apart and reasamble it. This way I can clean the knife and oil it. I like to adjust the tension and had no problems with the lock. While i like the knife opening smooth I do not bother for speed so much.
I haven't taken my starmate completely apart yet, but I have a fellow knife-knut who will do so for sure as soon he get's his C-55.
Greetings
red

Much obliged, Mr. Glesser.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

I own a S&W SWAT knife, It's liner lock is very thin. The liner is supposed to stop in the middle of the blade, and the only thing to stop it is a small groove on the blade, well the groove on mine has rubbed off, rather quickly, and the liner goes all the way to the other end. When it's on the other end only a small portion of it is holding the blade. This looks very dangerous to me and I think S&W only needs to make a more solid liner.

Does it "look dangerous" or is it dangerous? Have you whacked the knife, torqued it, applied pressure to the spine? At the price point S&W knives hit, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if their quality varied enormously. The one I have, however, can stand up to all of those things, even though it "looked dangerous" to me as well. I never would have expected it to perform as well as it does - but the proof of the pudding is in the taste.

It looks like the blade could be pushed down accidentally by the liner being completely on the other side instead of on the blade. I have been too scared to use it even though it feels very sturdy. I never really planned on using it, I got it because I liked the way it looked.

I am truly enjoying and learning from this discussion; thanks, for the input all.

I have and have used a number of liner locks from custom and production makers for years and have never had a problem. There is no doubt that good working folding blades can and are made with liner locks.

On the other hand, I believe safety results from utilizing tools properly and with due respect to any potential risk.

Folders regardless of the locking mechanism are inherently weak. If you apply enough pressure to point on a folding knife one of the following will happen:
1) You will succeed in penetrating the
material
2) The lock will fail (cut fingers)
3) The blade will spring at the handle
junction (broken knife)
4) The point will slip (something is going
to get damaged)

I would suggest that we should consider the locking mechanism not as safety device but rather a convenient mechanism to hold the blade in position for further work. A good locking mechanism is a plus - but to focus exclusively on this device at the expense of
proper and safe knife utilization is a disservice to our novice users.

My apologies to the many innovative makers I truly love and respect. Your products have many good things going for them - the strength of the locking mechanism should be a relatively minor one. Please place the emphasis on safe use not on safety gagets.

not2sharp :

Folders regardless of the locking mechanism are inherently weak.

Compared to a fixed blade yeah, but weak is relative and that are locks that are very secure/stable (Reeve Integral) and have a decent strength tolerance (400 in/lbs of torque). These locks are more than a "safety feature" and they increase the function of the knife by their ability.

-Cliff

Back