Comp. Finish—Old and New

As the OP in this thread, I just want to go on record as saying that, smooth, rough, whatever, Comp. finish is one of my favorites (2nd right behind old BIG finish) and I didn’t intend this thread to become about how CF is better, worse, etc. I just noticed a pretty big difference between my CF TGLB and my CF DS8, and since the blades are otherwise almost the same, figured it made for a nice photo op.

Personally, I will buy Busse however Bossman wants to put them out. Just gimme my bacon! I have preferences, but I am willing to pay extra for CF, Satin, BIG, and the more options, the better! I know it isn’t always going to be economically feasible for Bossman to offer us every type of finish for each offering, and that’s ok with me too, because I am spoiled for great aftermarket options too, between @whupash, @AZTimT, and @razor-edge-knives. I’m not worried about it in any case. Just bring on more bacon is what I say!!!!

I saw Bud's pic first just like everyone and thought "uh-oh :confused:" but then I unwrapped mine and said "not even close to what I saw" .... When it's in hand, run your nails across it, some might be worried it will chip their freshly painted nails, I'm confident for those "special ones" it won't dent your bedazzled nail job.
Did they turn out like the DS8? nope, sure didn't. I think those look almost as good as a satin finish and less than an hour in the right hands and it pretty much could be. I didn't get a DS8 because as a piglet I'm going to fud up some and I have regrets, but because of how awesome they look from all the pictures, I want one.
I'm not into nail polish any more than I'm into coatings but I knew what I was expecting and I wasn't disappointed in the least- but I had nothing to base it on other than what was stated. If I'm being totally honest, I think some of those old CF blades look terrible with the pits and potholes. Those older ones, that I have seen, have nothing in common with what I can hold in my hands atm. I'm a glass half full person so I make a great customer but reality dictates I'm in a rather unique segment of who Busse is challenged to please. If I wasn't happy, I wouldn't be posting a damn thing about it.

Every finish is mean to be pretty in its own way and comp finish is not an uncoated knife... comp finish is a refined none coat blade that take extra step of finishing that why they charge more $$ ...

Im not a kind of sweet lemon guy and I think SK which I have bought one too , has worse looking comp finish compare to some recentcheaper model like DS8, judging from the picture tho.
Not "refined". That would be Satin finish. Comp is a raw, machined finish.

I don't understand why the variation on the comp finish. I have an old comp tglb and it's great! loved the DS8 as well and was hoping that was how the new comp would be. Now I'm worried my yet-to-come SK will be a catch and release. I understand what comp is, but that seems a little rough on the flats to me. Not going to be a fan if its going to be a crap-shoot on how nice the comp finish will be from knife to knife.

I think the DS8's are just rediculously/abnormally smooth for comp finish and maybe that raised some people's expectations. Only reason I passed on them was because I already have a stripped TGLB that looks comp-ish so the thought of buying same knife with a different handle didn't trip my trigger. Now I'm kicking myself every time I see one of those beauties.

Prob more smoother now than used to be as alot of people were bitchy about marks and scartches so they discontinued it. Now its back and alot smoother finish on it hence the $40 upcharge

I like the cross-hatch pattern on the flats of the old style, but I like how clean the grind is on the new style.

was the original competition finish with decarb in 2007 (hellrazor & jackhammer SE) create the same love/hate debate like this SK's CF?
But now, any of those HR/JH SE might not last long in the exchange.

Personally, I much prefer any criss cross lines or dimples anytime over decarb, those original CF with decarb is the scarriest to me, so much that eventhough I am in the hunt of an HR, when a very kind gentleman here offer me his special edition HR, fear of the decarb got me over and I declined. (still feeling ashamed that I declined his kindness)

was the original competition finish with decarb in 2007 (hellrazor & jackhammer SE) create the same love/hate debate like this SK's CF?
But now, any of those HR/JH SE might not last long in the exchange.

Personally, I much prefer any criss cross lines or dimples anytime over decarb, those original CF with decarb is the scarriest to me, so much that eventhough I am in the hunt of an HR, when a very kind gentleman here offer me his special edition HR, fear of the decarb got me over and I declined. (still feeling ashamed that I declined his kindness)

I just used a Scotchbtite wheel to strip the decarb off and cold blued my 2007 SEs. No more rust.

Either works for me. Both are naked INFI, which is the best INFI. Well, except for maybe custom shop satin.... but that goes without saying.

I tell you what - I think I would prefer that DS8 Comp Finish over any other finish out there. Yes, satin looks nice, and I love having satin blades etc, etc, it is just that the comp on those DS8's is something really, really special. The BIG Satin mandu' coming up looks to be really nice, and hence no satin for me on that one.

It is interesting that a less practical "fighting knife", which I consider the SK to be primarily, would have a more abuse-friendly style of comp finish.

C

I tell you what - I think I would prefer that DS8 Comp Finish over any other finish out there. Yes, satin looks nice, and I love having satin blades etc, etc, it is just that the comp on those DS8's is something really, really special. The BIG Satin mandu' coming up looks to be really nice, and hence no satin for me on that one.

It is interesting that a less practical "fighting knife", which I consider the SK to be primarily, would have a more abuse-friendly style of comp finish.

C
I agree with your take on the DS8 comp. It is perfect. Smooth enough that you can show it off to your knife buddies without having to expalin why it looks the way it does, but not so smooth that you are afraid to put the first scratch in it.

Back