Compact tool kit for work

MTB

I am trying to put together a compact tool kit for work. I am never without a knife, a multiool, and a flashlight at work so I have some very good basic needs covered. Every now and then I do need a more specialized or dedicated tool. I am in and out of different vehicles and multiple buildings constantly throughout my work day so I need something pretty compact and very portable. I am limiting my self to a Maxpedition EDC pocket organized to fill up with as many goodies as it can hold. I need your help to find compact tools that I may not be aware of.

Tools I have needed on a limited basis at work

small(6ish") adjustable wrench
vise grip pliers
small flat and phillip drivers
torx drivers
hex/allen drivers
heavier than whats on my leatherman wire cutters- is that even possible in a compact package?
10'+ measuring tape
smallish pry bar/scraper

The items pictured so far are just in there to give me an idea of the space i am dealing with. I am not set on anything yet except the size of the pouch being used. So what brands or specific tools does the bladeforum brain trust recommend for my little bag of tricks?

EdPPSF2.jpg

PdEBzvf.jpg

9080559A-1C60-40BC-A6A2-0F35F70C52A7.jpeg I get a lot of use out of this compound action wire cutter. The adjustable wrench is better for holding the head of a bolt than for tightening a nut. The adjustable pliers have a really wide jaw. The Titanium pry bar doubles as a large screw driver.

At work I carry a pair of Channellock #426 tongue and groove pliers and a mini Dasco pro pry bar.

The little knipex cobras are supposed to have a larger jaw capacity and are a bit more compact though, so they might be a better choice for you.

The mini Dasco pry bar I say is probably the right way to go, they're only about $5 and they're a great US made tool.

Tools I have needed on a limited basis at work

small(6ish") adjustable wrench
vise grip pliers
small flat and phillip drivers
torx drivers
hex/allen drivers
heavier than whats on my leatherman wire cutters- is that even possible in a compact package?
10'+ measuring tape
smallish pry bar/scraper

[/QUOTE]

Not gonna spec specific brands, but there are a lot of options for compact tools out there, your only limited by budget and quality....

For the slotted/Phillips/Torx/hex/allen bits, you just need one driver, and a few sets of bits. Depending on on your needs, you can get some pretty small drivers
I have something like this in my truck tool bag. All the bits are on their own 'sleeve' and take up minimal space. You'll cover pretty much any fastener you could run into.
u5rs4gufwy8bk39scchm.jpg

CRAFTSMAN-MAGNETIC-HANDLE-1-4-IN-43373-NUT-DRIVER.jpg

And you can get some pretty small bit drivers if you don't need a full handle
spin_prod_520625401

I'd say what you already have for the adjustable and vice-grips are spot on, so why re-invent the wheel there.

Stanley has some pretty good mini pry-bars. This set has three sizes ranging from 5" to 9"
31CN60_AS01

Small tape measures are a dime a dozen.

This should cover everything you need, per your list. Just walk through any Lowes, HD, Walmart, or Harbor Freight, and you should be able to put together the whole kit for $35-50 depending on the quality you want.

Thanks for replies, guys. Ill have to check out the fix it sticks website. I have heard about Knipex but i have never seen them before. I really like the looks. The plier wrench looks to be more compact than a standard adjustable wrench. I imagine a little lighter as well maybe. I have been in the normal big box stores and have seen their offerings. I just wanted to see if others had compact ideas for drivers. Oddly enough, a compact driver with slim, single stack holders for the bits seem to be hard to find locally. Either the bits come in a huge case or the handle of the driver is monstrous. I think I will have to order that online. Both the stanley and dasco pry bars look like they will work perfectly. I'll have to go with Dasco though just because they are USA made. So far the things I know are staying in the kit are the vise grips, the 12' tape measure, the zebra pen, and the Klien scissors. Ill post up some pictured when I start getting everything else together if anyone is interested.

C72762F0-A5D2-4A75-B3A2-D26811F24153.jpeg This thing has 13 double ended bits, the working one of which is held by a strong magnet that has a slide release.

Reactions: MTB
For the drivers, I would think some of those would be covered with the multi-tool or if you get a multi-tool with a bit good, all set. Some of those could be covered with a bicycle multi-tool as well since the bolts on bikes are almost all allen head with some hex head.

For the measuring tape, I like the plastic tape dealios for saving space if I don't need it more rigid like the one you have.

10inchTapeMeasureWhite_x.jpg

Reactions: MTB
Thanks! Ill check out the Wiha screwdrivers!

The multitool I usually carry is either my Leatherman ST300, Rebar, or Victorinox Swisstool. Even though I have and love the Wave, I don't care for the interchangeable bits. They always seem to be lacking the reach when I need it so I prefer the fixed, longer tools of those other three multitools. Unfortunately I do need the more rigid kind of measuring tape, otherwise that plastic one would be perfect for the kit.

EDIT: I just now remembered, I have the little driver and bit kit from Victorinox sitting in a drawer at home. I might just buy more bits for the moment and see how the little Victorinox driver preforms.

Thanks for replies, guys. Ill have to check out the fix it sticks website. I have heard about Knipex but i have never seen them before. I really like the looks. The plier wrench looks to be more compact than a standard adjustable wrench. I imagine a little lighter as well maybe. I have been in the normal big box stores and have seen their offerings. I just wanted to see if others had compact ideas for drivers. Oddly enough, a compact driver with slim, single stack holders for the bits seem to be hard to find locally. Either the bits come in a huge case or the handle of the driver is monstrous. I think I will have to order that online. Both the stanley and dasco pry bars look like they will work perfectly. I'll have to go with Dasco though just because they are USA made. So far the things I know are staying in the kit are the vise grips, the 12' tape measure, the zebra pen, and the Klien scissors. Ill post up some pictured when I start getting everything else together if anyone is interested.

And the Dasco bars actually cost less most places too.

My most used tool at work is the small pair of channel lock water pump slip joint pliers.

Also don’t forget a tourniquet.

Back