Comparing LB8 Papa Bear variances with known date of Manufacture

that is the first one i have seen with the alpha numeric serial number.

I can't recall seeing many alpha numeric LB-8s either.

Does anyone have any info around when they stopped serializing LB-8s (ie. what was the last serial seen as opposed to when they stopped, though that would be good too)?

Brought up for Denny's question regarding the 1980 Goldrush Set which comprised one of the earliest LB8's <Papa Bear LB> made <mine is Serial Number 20131> interesting to find out the Serial Number of Denny's set.Also comprised the 153UH Golden Spike and we now know the earliest Golden Spikes were manufactured in 1972.
I believe they are a scarce set and seldom seen on Fleabay and in answer to Denny's question re possible worth...if his is in the same condition as mine..Mint in Box with Paperwork...if I were selling mine I would expect US$200 odd due to their relative scarcity and both knives are desirable collectables individually in their own right. there are several photos of my Gold Rush Set from 1980 in the first line of photos of this thread page 1...Trust this helps...Hoo Roo

Doing some research on an Uncle Henry LB8 I dug up and found this thread! Anyone know when they started stamping the tang with the "Uncle Henry"? I have a 3-pin LB8 and the tang says,
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB8 U.S.A.

that I'm trying to date. I'm thinking sometime in the early 80s...? The bolster serial number is: A55482.

Thanks for any help, Cheers!

just looked at mine and have a 3 pin LB 8 with serial number 89075 and it has SCHRADE+ on it. i also have an A37721 and it has the script Uncle Henry on the tang so somewhere between the A55482 and the smaller number A37721. probably like we have seen was a running change and some had the original marking and some the script. in looking at my LB 7's all the way to the last serial numbered one i have which is BB55299, they all have the SCHRADE+ marking on the blade. this might indicate they continued with the serialization of the LB 8's longer than the LB 7's.

..just bringing this thread for James C's attention....he refers to some of these LB8's and sets in his post on the LB7.....Hoo Roo

Thanx Larry. Going to take some time to digest all this. Maybe you can dummy it down for me. Are the lb8s in the gift sets different serial#s from the rest. Are the lb7 and lb8 basically the same knife with differant window dressing? Your six knife set is interesting to me it contains my favorite liner lock(127) with my favorite lock back(lb8). I have not seen this set previously. Very nice! Forgive me if I ask a question that had already been answered.

Is the LB9 a recognized stamped pattern, or is it an SFO with a guthook and marked LTD? I have seen such a knife a few times, but do not believe I've seen one bearing an LB9 stamp.

I have not seen one stamped LB9 either. It's a good question! Mine is stamped LTD for an obvious reason. But the plain ones I've seen are also LTD. I don't get out much, but they seem to be rare since I don't hardly ever see them online. Hence, LTD?

ltdlb9rmefsmall.jpg

ltdlb9rmef2small.jpg

ltdlb9rmef3small.jpg

ltdlb9rmef4small.jpg

All,

Hi. REAL NEW member here.
I have an "LB8" with "stagalon scales etc. and I am trying to date it or at least rough idea its age.
Having read this thread rather thoroughly I am unable to really get a grasp of when mine was made.

The blade markings are (in order):
Uncle Henry (in cursive type)
Schrade+
LB8 USA

It has 2 pins through the brass bolster at one end and a single one at the blade end.
There is a raised pin below and offset to the right of the "Uncle Henry" logo badge on the grip.
It's serial number AA44529

Any idea? Ball park at least? I am not intending to sell it just curious from a proud owners perspective.

Thanks

A good thread to re-introduce before it disappears... regarding the popular LB8 variances through the years and known dates of manufacture...mainly due to dates on box's...Hoo Roo

I have a lb7 that has 4 pins on the handle, with a brass "uncle henry" plate on the handle not silver And SCHRADE+USA LB7 Blade stamp & the ser. numb. on the side of the front bolster reads MSG395.. any ideas to how old this is or the significance

Re-birthed to stimulate further Forum discussions and hopefully more photos of your collections.....Hoo Roo

I have this knife

I was reading some of the info here and it seems as if the knife should have a serial number, the one that I have does not have a number. Was there a time when they stopped putting on the numbers.
Also, I have been looking at the photos and cannot see the difference in 3 pin and 4 pin knives. :(

Thanks
Anthony

Also, can someone tell me something about this knife.

I bought it about 2 years ago and don't remember any details that the seller told me.

I haven't, so far, been able to find anything on the internet about this knife.

Thanks
Anthony

Last edited:
I have this knife

I was reading some of the info here and it seems as if the knife should have a serial number, the one that I have does not have a number. Was there a time when they stopped putting on the numbers.
Also, I have been looking at the photos and cannot see the difference in 3 pin and 4 pin knives. :(

Thanks
Anthony

There is not a lot of difference in the three and four pin construction other than that the springs will not interchange. It was a manufacturing change intended to simplify the assembly process. But they found that going to three pins on the smooth Delrin covers did not work so well in keeping the covers flat, so they returned to four pins on those after a brief time.

Thanks for that infor Codger 64.
Do you know when they stopped putting serial numbers on the knife?

Anthony

Back