Comparing the Inkosi and Umnumzaan

RobertK

post tenebras lux
Gold Member
Looking for a new EDC.

So I've bounced around a lot with EDC knives. Often I sell knives I love because I want to experience other knives. I tend to only have 1, tops 2 knives at a time, because it's too costly for me to accumulate more. (maybe I have a few more slipjoints than I neeeeed...)

The one I keep coming back to is the Large Micarta 21. Recently I picked up another as well as a Micarta L Inkosi so compare. I just wanted to show myself that the 21 is still the better knife. And yet, while I like the look of the 21's micarta, and conceptually love the pivot bushing, I think in hand, I actually favor the Inkosi. Though I've carried the Sebenza for a few combined years with a lot of use, and only handled the Inkosi gently, the subtle tweaks (notably the clip and the extra choil are improvements over a design I already loved).

Never content to leave well enough alone - now that I've decided I should consider the umnumzaan. By consider I mean read every single thing I can find on the internet.

I want to know what you folks think in comparing the Umnum and the L Inkosi as an edc. For work, I typically carry a slipjoint unless I can get by in jeans for a more casual day. so it's often going to be carried off hours and on weekends.

I don't know. It's a CRK. I found there is a right answer. Or rather, there is no wrong answer. I'd just like to hear your experiences while I make up my mind.

I slapped this puck around on the ice for awhile myself (inkosi vs umnumzaan). In the end I landed on the 'zaan and sold off the inkosi. I am not sure I could find any fault in particular with the inkosi, except that I simply couldn't get it as hair-whittling sharp. Like you, I can't afford all of the knives I ultimately want, and I needed to let one go. It took me two 'zaans to find one that was right for me, but when I found the right one, it fast became my go-to CRK. Only way to know for sure is to get both and compare for yourself.

For me, both the Umnumzaan and Inkosi are good work knives. I rotate several and those two are in the rotation.
If I had to choose, I'd give a slight and I mean a slight advantage for the Umnumzaan. The top swedge is handy when something needs to be scraped and the blade is cool as hell.
Pics are needed ;)

FAXPElr.jpg

hyPS2Yi.jpg

Ut75tfK.jpg

I handled an Umnum at the Oregon show this year, but only very briefly. There was a dealer selling off his CRKs at super low prices, including an Umnum at a price I should have grabbed. No seriously, I kick myself.

It does have a visual appeal all its own. In fact I even like how the tanto looks and I therwose have zero interest in tantos.

I can’t decide. Guess I’ll see what pops up at a good price. Given the two, maybe I’ll go zaan just to add to the list of knives I know.

I just love CRK.

I've only habdled a Zaan at my local shop. I so regret not buying it. It was an amazing knife. CRK just puts out bang on stuff every time. (except their out of box edge sharpness, wtf is up with that?)

My 21 large and small are amazing too, my large micarta inkosi being my personal favourite. I got it for myself for my birthday and promised I wouldn't hold back on using it at all. Although to be honest I hadn't held back on the small 21, which was my first crk.

Basically what I'm saying is the Zaan or Inkosi are both awesome choices, you will he happy with either. They are both tough knives with blades thicker than the 21's. The Inkosi is kind of like a 21 that got an upgrade with the most modern tech, like the ceramic detent/lockup.

I believe you chose the Zaan. Enjoy that knife, you couldn't have made a better choice.

I finally got back into the Crk world after a year of having no Crk's. In the past I've had several 21's and 25's. I always like both but always wanted a Zaan based on visual appeal.

So recently I acquired a 25 and immediately saw a great deal on a Zaan and scooped it up as well. I haven't been able to carry either with enough time to see which I like more. They both have their own appeal. The 25 is easier to open and the Zaan has a bit thicker blade. Both are rock solid. It may take months or years to decide which I like better.

Sorry that was probably no help but I'd say buy both and carry both.

My 'zaan is a tanto. I wouldn't carry any other tanto on a dare or if you paid me. The CRK tanto 'zaan however... It's just right.

I think it's the slightly higher grind on the tanto's short edge and the way there is still a faint amount of belly on the long edge. The short edge is sharp, right? They didn't do the goofy thing like Strider does and leave the short edge semi-sharp, ostensibly as a 'scraper'?

Not an inkosi but I did have a micarta 25 and an Umnumzaan. I sold the 25 for three reasons: I think the Umnumzaan has a unique look I just love, I liked the way it deploys better and I didn't like micarta on a large knife. That last point might have more relevance to you since the two you own currently have micarta. It's not an option on the Zaan if that is important to you. I too carry small knives most of the time but the Zaan is the one I can't wait to put in my pocket. So I'm always happy when it's the weekend.

I am a bit torn on the Inkosi's micarta. It's so curvy. It's aesthetics kind of aren't my thing, but that's subjective. The Sebenza's micarta was amazing in look and feel. I think I'm not sold on the Inkosi's micarta - but it does feel nice.

Totally agree with you abou the look of the zaan. Looks so unique. On that I am torn on the tanto. I am thinking I'd be better served by the standard blade. Once the novelty of the looks of the tanto wear off, I might want a more traditional blade shape.

I'm overthinking most of it, I am sure, but that's what I do. :)

For the past year the large micarta 25 has been, by far, my favorite CRK knife..

I just recently got a Large micarta Inkosi Insingo and that's quickly becoming my new favorite.

Ironically I have my Umnumzaan in my pocket today. I really really love that blade, but ultimately if I had to sell all my CRK's and only keep one, it would be my new Inkosi.

How much time have you spent with a 21 by contrast?

I know this is a bit gratuitous, but I can't resist!
DD1A9D99-6360-4EE0-952A-8CDD3F9724C2.JPG

Both blades are awesome. The standard harpoon is probably more versatile, but the tanto gets more pocket time. As with others, the ONLY tantos I like are Reeve tantos.

By contrast, I never carry my Large 21 Insingo Micarta. Sorry I can't offer you a direct comparison with a Large Inkosi; it's on my WTB list, but probably behind a few other things.

How much time have you spent with a 21 by contrast?

I have several large 21's (plain and Micarta) but 95% of the time I pick my 25 for pocket time. Maybe it's my hand - but the 25/Inkosi feels like it was molded after my hand.

I think you’ve sold me on the Inkosi over the umnum. I’ll hahe to earmark that for something down the road.

Now to decide Micarta vs plain.

I mentioned I loved... LOVED the Micarta over plain on the 21 but don’t love the styling on the Inkosi. I also love how plains wear. Maybe it’s time to go plain. Or Micarta. Gah!

Last edited:
I think it's the slightly higher grind on the tanto's short edge and the way there is still a faint amount of belly on the long edge. The short edge is sharp, right? They didn't do the goofy thing like Strider does and leave the short edge semi-sharp, ostensibly as a 'scraper'?

The short edge is definitely sharp... mine is just as hair-shaving sharp as the main edge!

Back