Competition for the new m4 mini-grip

Another thread lead me to the discovery of this:

558BT500.jpg

Knifeworks has it in stock for $119. The m4 mini being $105. Despite this being s30v, it has that ritter blade that we all love . . . and its coated :)

I'm seriously torn between the two. The m4 mini is a good bang for the buck, but the ritter would fit so perfectly with what i had planned for it.

I think this would go perfectly with either:
197t.jpg

I'd go with the standard blade shape in m4 over a ritter in s30v, but a ritter in m4 trumps both.

Although, one distinct advantage the newer m4 minis have is the updated benchmade m4 heat treat. The new m4s are run a couple points harder than the older ritter m4 versions which can make a pretty big difference with regards to edge retention.

I've been eyeballing both. They are both decent buys imo, but are also completely different knives.

The blade shape of the Ritter knife is outstanding, but the M4 is a few steps up from S30V. For me, these two fit into the must buy both category :D

I do like the blue but I think a satin bladed Ritter would look better.

Black on black is nice.

AB46E367-DA60-47C3-8488-CB419231FE87-5736-000003273F763988.jpg

Competition.. :D

My M4 Ritter (or mini) came with a scary sharp edge.. Not to bash on the S30V Ritter but mine came with a dull working edge.. Its your call, I have an S30V Ritter Stonewashed, for me, S30V compares worse in regard to M4.. As stated above, M4 will always trump S30V. :rolleyes:

Especially with the new heat treat on the M4, there are better options than S30V nowadays.

Last edited:
I have several in the new heat treat M4 and they are awesome.

What are the benefits of the Ritter blade shape? Not trying to bash, just trying to understand it's differences and benefits.

When did BM change the HT on the m4? I bought a contego last year and I'm wondering if its the "new heat treat" one.

What are the benefits of the Ritter blade shape? Not trying to bash, just trying to understand it's differences and benefits.

Ritter Blade Benefits:
- Improved blade shape (stronger/thicker spine, stronger tip, higher blade grind etc.. Doug meant for it to be used in the outdoors for random survival tasks so the blade shape caters to those needs).

When did BM change the HT on the m4? I bought a contego last year and I'm wondering if its the "new heat treat" one.

I'm pretty sure that Benchmade changed it before the 810 rolled out because all the 940-121's from last year were all heat treated in between 62-64 so you shouldn't have any issues. I know if you go on KW, you can still see the 525 M4 exclusive in the older 60-62 range.. In the end, all they did was figure out that they could treat it to a harder point without any negative (chipping) effects.. Now theres significant improvement in edge retention.. I haven't had to sharpen any of my newer M4's yet :)

Hopefully someone else can weigh in for an exact date - but I'm pretty sure it was last year, right around the time the 810 came out.

I'm pretty sure that Benchmade changed it before the 810 rolled out because all the 940-121's from last year were all heat treated in between 62-64 so you shouldn't have any issues. I know if you go on KW, you can still see the 525 M4 exclusive in the older 60-62 range.. In the end, all they did was figure out that they could treat it to a harder point without any negative (chipping) effects.. Now theres significant improvement in edge retention.. I haven't had to sharpen any of my newer M4's yet :)

Hopefully someone else can weigh in for an exact date - but I'm pretty sure it was last year, right around the time the 810 came out.

I also don't know the exact date, but I believe all of the Contego were 62-64 Rockwell, which is the "new" hardness range.

Back