*COMPLETE*1075 chopper with hamon WIP

love me a WiP! Pretty cool pattern that I'm stoked to watch come to life

I don't know about the rest of you, but hand sanding is 75% of my time in a knife.
I don't look forward to hand sanding, but when I start doing it, it's very calming and relaxing for me.
Honestly I never really thought about it, but after talking with forum member Matthew Gregory, I realized I enjoy hand sanding, but hate the 15 minutes or so I think about starting it. He could be a knife maker's therapist, although anyone who hand sands cpm 4v to the extent he does may not be right in the head. I kid I kid 😜

image url

Sanding the tapered tang. I may remove some of the flare at the bottom of this handle once all is said and done. I think it looks cool, but if you're chopping, it may dig into the hand.

image url

Ok, got my stuff all ready:
online photo storage

1st etch and scrub.
online photo storage

I used cotton makeup pads to wipe the ferric chloride on the blade while it's in the liquid.
Then rubbed the oxides off with flitz.
online photo storage

After third etch, had a hamon, but unfortunately it looks nothing like my clay and there is no activity near the clip. After talking for a while to someone waaayyy more knowledgeable than me, this one is going back to the FIYAHH! After all it's a hamon, but not the one I want.
online photo storage

So I'm going to try this again...

Imo, you should leave it unless you plan on a sharpened clip. The placement is pretty good and because of the thick cross section you'll have a hard time getting the print you panted with the clay...and personally I kinda like the hamon you got better than the clay;)

in agreement with Ben on this one

Well fair enough, with those recommendations I'm outnumbered so I'll soldier on and try to develop this hamon.
Thanks fellas.

Back