Composite CPM 154/S90V CF Manix 2 Sprint

It's a cool tech demonstration on fusing the two steels, but I can't see anything it would do better than my S90V CF Manix 2. It is going to be limited and probably do well holding its value though.

agree on tech remark & suspect marketed more toward collector.

If I read correctly (thanks inkynate), this is the first laminate steel developed in the US?! These knives may be of historic value, if not much improved performance wise

If I read correctly (thanks inkynate), this is the first laminate steel developed in the US?! These knives may be of historic value, if not much improved performance wise
How does it improve performance?

How does it improve performance?
I think most agree not much; 3 layers should be stronger than 1 if equal thickness. Cpm154 is supposed to be much tougher, as stainless goes, so the core of 90v should be protected somewhat against lateral force. but it's a first step toward powdered steel laminates which can only get netter

I think most agree not much; 3 layers should be stronger than 1 if equal thickness. Cpm154 is supposed to be much tougher, as stainless goes, so the core of 90v should be protected somewhat against lateral force. but it's a first step toward powdered steel laminates which can only get netter
Right. But.. I thought laminates have the cutting steel in this case s90v with the laminate on both sides but the cutting surface is all s90v. And usually at least a few mm until the cpm154 in this case starts. So how would that even help lateral force? I mean it's a pocket knife not a fixed blade.

But you do have a point that it's an engineering feat to get two powdered steels to laminate tho. I've seen brazing before with powdered steels iirc.

Last edited:
An example would be; two 2x2" s with a half inch of harder plywood in between nailed and glued together, has been show to be significantly stronger than a single 2x4, even though they are exactly the same size.(we know that most home improvemt store sell 2x4's which actually 1 and 3/4" by 3 and 3/4", so the 1/2" plywood doesn't increase the size of our laminated 2x4 beyond the dimensions of the 2 by 4 as shown.

Right I get that. No debate. Just saying how does that work for a manix 2? I've got one in s110v. It's great for cutting but I'm not ever going to need that functionality in this knife.

Me too; if I had a knife budget if $2000/month, I'd probably get the military version!

I believe the boundary between the two steels varies somewhat from blade to blade. So each knife is rather unique.

Also , the Manix2 S90V/CPM154 is available at numerous online dealers.

Thx. Got a question. In the picture, the line between S90V and CPM154 seems pretty random/irregular. Is it how typically laminated blades are manufactured? Or am I seeing it incorrectly?
yes, thats how it goes.

Thx. Got a question. In the picture, the line between S90V and CPM154 seems pretty random/irregular. Is it how typically laminated blades are manufactured? Or am I seeing it incorrectly?
My pakkawood Delica is like that. It's normal.

Back