Concealed Weapons Permit Reciprocity

Hello All:

This is my first post here.

I am a FL resident with a FL Concealed Weapons Permit (good for not just handguns) and through reciprocity it is valid in about 24 states.

Would I be able to carry my usual automatic knife in the other states as well as my handgun?

My handgun would for sure be OK but not my automatic knife?

Yes, I realize I didn't list the 24 states. Too much to type.

Thanks, Steve

Don't carry an automatic knife concealed in Virginia. Back in 97 they changed their policy on concealed carry permits so they only apply to handguns. However, if your automatic has a pocket clip, and the clip-end is not obscured by a shirt or jacket, it may not be considered "concealed" -- but that is open to interpretation, as the law is not specific.

You have to check the laws for each state. Most states that have reciprocity with FL issue a Concealed FIREARMS license only. In those states a Florida CWP is honored only for firearms.

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I can only carry a concealed handgun when I leave FL. The laws are certainly strange.

Thanks, Steve

I found this:
Florida Licensing Page said:
FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6,7)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (1,6)
Indiana (1,6)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri (1,8)
Montana
New Hampshire (1,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (1,3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1)
Texas (1,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (1,2)
Virginia (1, 6)
Wyoming (1)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(2) The State of VERMONT is unique in that it does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.

(3) Under NORTH DAKOTA and SOUTH DAKOTA law, licensees qualify to possess a concealed weapon permit once they become 18 years of age. Florida CANNOT extend the privilege of concealed carry to citizens of these states who are under the age of 21.

(4) Florida issues concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals regardless of whether or not they are Florida residents. MICHIGAN and NEW HAMPSHIRE will honor the Florida license ONLY IF the license holder is a legal resident of Florida.

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

(7) Florida issues concealed carry licenses to persons whose civil rights and firearms rights have been restored and thereby made whole in the eyes of the law and the Constitution. However, ARIZONA will honor a concealed weapon license ONLY if those rights were restored by a full pardon signed by the Governor or President of the United States. ARIZONA will not honor a concealed weapon license in possession of a Florida licensee if those rights were restored by any other means than a full pardon. Therefore, a Florida licensee who has had civil and firearms rights restored but who has NOT received a pardon from the Governor or President of the United States is prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm in ARIZONA.

(8) The Missouri Attorney General has advised us that several aspects of the Missouri concealed weapons law remain in litigation as of June 2004 and that, accordingly, he is limited in what he can say about the effect of any particular provision of the law. However, he acknowledges that as of this date no injunction or other impediment blocks the effectiveness of Missouri's Concealed Carry Law, including the reciprocity provision...

Back