Condor Knives ?? Any Opinions ??

Hey Guys...

Just seen these condor knives..

http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/CTK2060B

The Aztec Cleaver looks pretty cool...

They've also got some pretty decent looking machetes..

Anyone have any comments on these?

Are they just cheap Crapola or decent blades ??

Like I said,, this is my first time seeing them,, so I have no idea about the quality...

I'd like to know how they compareto Cold Steels cheapo machettes

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

ummm. they look pretty cheap to me. and not just the price.

i dont care for 420 steel, kinda soft imo.

Condor is running 420HC blade steel at HRc 53 in their line-up. Looks like they were shooting for moderate edge holding and a higher toughness in the blades. I'm not familiar with this steel at that hardness so I'm wondering if they got what it looks like they were shooting for.

Our favorite physicist will likely be along shortly and let us know if that's the ticket or not.

It's interesting that you should ask this as I was just looking at that Condor line at 888 and wondering about them myself.

I'm not familiar with this steel at that hardness...

You would use 420J2 for that hardness as it would have a better set of properties than 420HC and be cheaper. However 420J2 has a poor name as a fantasy steel do they pick 420HC, unfortunately, you can see this trend a lot in cutlery.

-Cliff

Their machetes are nice looking, but I wouldn't buy a machete made out of 420HC or virtually any other stainless steel for that matter. At 20-25" long overall and 2.2mm thick, you're just begging for serious edge damage with any kind of use. They keep the hardness down to HRC 53 because any harder and they'd shatter just looking at them.

Some of their axes are 1075 steel, which is a lot better choice. Other of their axes are 440C which is junk for an axe.

You would use 420J2 for that hardness as it would have a better set of properties than 420HC and be cheaper. However 420J2 has a poor name as a fantasy steel do they pick 420HC, unfortunately, you can see this trend a lot in cutlery.

-Cliff

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks, Cliff.:thumbup:

Their machetes are nice looking, but I wouldn't buy a machete made out of 420HC or virtually any other stainless steel for that matter. At 20-25" long overall and 2.2mm thick, you're just begging for serious edge damage with any kind of use. They keep the hardness down to HRC 53 because any harder and they'd shatter just looking at them.

Some of their axes are 1075 steel, which is a lot better choice. Other of their axes are 440C which is junk for an axe.

Yeah, I prefer my machetes to be in a simple straight Carbon steel.

Back