1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Condor Tool and Knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MolokaiRider, Jun 20, 2020.

1. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Yeah, they've priced themselves out of their own market. For their current prices, there are too many better alternatives. If they're going to charge a lot more, their products have to match in quality.

2. The Libertariat and Darien in ESEE's Expat line are made by Condor. MSRP on the Darien (12 3/8") is $100, and it retails around $65-70; the Libertariat's (9") MSRP is $82, and retails around $55. Both have "Condor Classic" hardwood handles and blackwash finish. From a brand standpoint, it's tough to have your main product line have pricing that's radically different from where the stuff you produce for others is selling.

3. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    It seems the general consensus is they are still good products but priced too high for what they are.

4. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Indeed. As budget minded went, they were one of the best values on the market for a while. They were never really my 1st choice; either pay more for something nicer or just rock out with another Mora, but always did seem like you definitely got more then you paid for. Factory edge always lacked, and handles were never really refined, but both those issues were easily remedied, and they had a pattern for everyone...

You hit it on the head though, jacking up their prices, but still offering the same product, definitely moved them down a rung or 2. Not they are "bad" persay, but paying more for the same lack of refinement does them no favors...

I will say, the one Condor I do own wasn't "cheap", but is a pure tank against brush, once I put an acceptable edge on it, (and the leather sheath really was a nice bonus over the nylon crap most budget friendly knives come with.).

[​IMG]

Beastchopper and MolokaiRider like this.
  5. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    Being that they don’t have a sub-forum here, I wonder if they occasionally scan BladeForums to see how their products are viewed and used.

I have no idea what their business model is, but have to wonder if they started out by taking a profit hit to get established, then raised prices after getting a foothold in the market.

In any case, I do enjoy using their products. I just don’t see myself buying any more after the price hikes. The value just isn’t there.

If the refinement and fit and finish increases I suppose they might be more intriguing.

But for me personally, I enjoyed the “character” and low cost. These factors made using and modding fun, and took the stress off when using them hard.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Beastchopper and strategy9 like this.
  6. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    In a nutshell, you used to be able to get a solid $40 knife for $30, and that was awesome!
    Now you gotta pay $50 for that exact same $40 knife, and it's not near as great...

MolokaiRider likes this.
  7. Beastchopper

Beastchopper

Jun 23, 2018
    It's such a bummer they discontinued the eco parang and golok. I had the world's last one in my cart saturday, didn't pull the trigger, went to buy it sunday and it was out of stock! The bushcraft parang is my favorite blade once i put a rasp to the handle and thinned the edge a little bit. I really want that eco parang though.

8. Beastchopper

Beastchopper

Jun 23, 2018
    I have about a dozen machete/knives and 4 are Condors. While I do like to mess around with the handles and sometimes thin the grind just a little bit, I hold these blades in high regard for their devastating chopping performance, unique & well engineered blade design, and those thick leather sheaths.
    ...someone sell me an eco parang!

MolokaiRider likes this.
  9. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I had a couple Rodans and a Golok. All good. Like everybody else is saying, I lost interest when they doubled in price for the same stuff.

I bet the knives are still good, it’s just hard to swallow something jumping in price that much with zero improvements or changes.

MolokaiRider likes this.
  10. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    It is interesting how the majority of responses are aligned.

Condor...if you are reading...

Please join our community forum and let us help you if we can.

I really would like them to be around for the long haul and do well.

They create a very wide range of products, and work with talented designers and promoters.

They aren’t shy on trying new and interesting designs as well, which is neat.

Another cool metric was how well made the sheaths were for the price.

The nuts and bolts are there...they just need to find that sweet spot for us consumers.

Of course, for all I know they are doing well and completely on track for their sales goals.

Beastchopper likes this.
  11. sliceofaloha

sliceofaloha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Molokai Rider - I was at Young Guns in HNL last year and they were telling me there was no Condor rep/supplier for the Hawaii market at that time. Not sure the status now but maybe there's been some turmoil.

MolokaiRider likes this.
  12. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    That’s possible. I usually order online, but due to the pandemic shipping has been pretty bad, as expected.