Congrats Deker!

I know you don't hang out here any more, but awesome job on last nights FiF. It's a shame your spike broke, but you made all of us whom "IT by day, bladesmith by night" proud.

If anyone on here regularly communicates with him, please point him to this thread.

I know you don't hang out here any more, but awesome job on last nights FiF. It's a shame your spike broke, but you made all of us whom "IT by day, bladesmith by night" proud.

If anyone on here regularly communicates with him, please point him to this thread.

"IT by day...." guess that fits me too... ugh.. another stereotype

I loved his lines before every test... hahaha

"Let's make a snowcone!"
"Let's trim some hedges!"
"Let's make some bacon!"
"Let's tap a keg!"

It was definitely a close one. Well done on both sides.

I cringed when the spike fell off, because I was sure he would have won otherwise! Such a nice looking head on that axe, and it cut so well.

Thanks guys! It was a hell of an experience for sure!

Most of the reason I haven't been around here is sort of the same reason I decided to apply for the show. In 2011 I got a new job. The work was good (for a while), but all consuming. I was spending 60-80 hours a week with an hour and a half drive each way to boot. This obviously left just about no time to be in the shop. I spent just about 4 years without lighting my forge. When I left my last job and started working from home most of the time, I had a bit of time to get back into the shop, but was still catching up on other "stuff" as well. When I saw the casting call for season 2 of Forged In Fire, I decided that I'd give it a shot and kind of force myself back into the shop to get ready in case I was selected. So, about a month before the taping I went back into the shop for the first time in 4 years, re-arranged everything (which I couldn't have done without my wife!) and started to make a few practice blades.

That's pretty much it. Forged In Fire was my personal return to the craft that I love after being away for far too long. I decided that I needed to see if an out of practice, hobby bladesmith could compete in the new world order of bladesmithing that has evolved over the past 5 years. I may not have come home $10k richer, but I feel that I came home a winner in a much more important way. For me, being selected was a win, puling myself together to get back into the shop was a win, and every round I made it through was a win. Heck, the simple realization that I could still make a decent knife was a win for me!

It was tough competition against some awesome guys, and I'm proud of the work I produced in the time allotted and how far I got. I said during the taping that on any given day, the competition could be anybody's game, and in the end I think I was spot on with that. I made one decision in construction while making my Tabar that probably meant the difference between a win and a loss, but I stand behind it, and I regret nothing.

I'll be doing my level best to maintain a better balance between shop, family, and work time. My 4 year break is definitely something I don't want to repeat!

You was my pick from the start and when the final round came and Doug was talking good of your work I told my wife that Deker was going home with the money. Good job and welcome back!

Am I the only one that really wishes people wouldn't start threads with the name of the winner in the title? I haven't watched it yet and don't care for spoilers...

Can I order my lawnmower blade knife from you NOW, then? :D

Sure, but it won't be cheap! I'll have to start by taking decent steel and forging it into a lawnmower blade you know! ;)

In all seriousness, I will be making a few of similar design to my Forged In Fire knife though. It actually turned out to work better than I thought it would and felt really nice in the hand. First one is for me to use around the yard to test and tweak, but after that, game on!

Congrats Deker - you were a winner in more ways than one...... but of course only "one" way takes home the $10K. If that spike hadn't broke, I do think you would have had the $10K. Both folks were skilled craftsman.

Again, congrats!

Ken H>

I managed to get the folks at LeftField Entertainment to send me some photos of my blades from the show. I figured this would be a good spot to post them for folks who don't have a DVR to pause. They're FAR from my best work, but under the circumstances.... :)

20160423020603-81b21fda-me.jpg

20160423020609-5374effd-me.jpg

20160423020615-06bc1605-me.jpg

Back