Contact wheel question

First post quick question.

i read all the way back to page 100 btw :)

Question is, are there any contact wheels with rubber coat that are cheap that i could add to my bench grinder? I could build a rig so that i could use any lenght belt, just need a maybe one inch wide contant wheel with rubber coat thats cheap, and if you guys got any ideas on how to make one that'd be great. And when i say cheap, i mean cheap :)

I jsut started thinking about all this knife stuff so i wanna be as cheap as i can. And a tool you build yourself is pretty sweet anyways.

Well, this idea may not be as cheep as you are looking for, but for you can convert a bench grinder to a 2x72" belt grinder without a lot of effort and money.

I started off by purchasing a Multi-Tool attachment for my bench grinder. I got the one with the 3" contact wheel that runs 2x36" belts. I believe I paid around $250 for it, but I'm sure you can get them cheeper now.

Then I removed the contact wheel and added about a foot or so of angle iron and remounted the idler wheel. Now the grinder runs 2x72" belts.

It was an easy modification, and I grind all of my knives on it. I've been very pleased with it's performance. These guys have the Multi-Tool for $200, and you may can find it cheaper by searching the web.
http://www.northvillehorseshoe.com/multitool__belt_sander.asp

Here is a pics of the grinder:

Image_Shop.asp

Hope this helps. -chris

ok, read on back to page 189, there i found to great post.

One on making wood contact wheels, my dad is a carpenter, i think he can hook me up.

And the grizzly rubber coated wheels for 28 bucks, probly is i cant find a link to the grizzly site, can anyone point me to it?

The link is: http://www.grizzly.com/.
Search for G1015. They have the 10" wheel listed for $59.95.
You will have to call their customer service to get the current cost/order the 8"($28?) wheel. The part no. is P1015073.
Welcome to the forums,
Greg

Back