CONTEST suggestions/comments/thoughts

A few comments/suggestions if we choose to have to have another SOG DOG/SOG sponsered contest.

1. Have a discussion about a proposed contest prior to its start. To clarify the nature of the contest, guage interest and reach a concensus of the members on the appropriateness of the contest.
2. Clearly state all rules.
3. Have one SOG DOG/SOG contest at a time.
4. Have one thread for contest entrys, and a seperate thread for discussion and comments on that contest.
5. Require a minimum level of participation to make the contest valid....something like 3 or 5 participants. Seems only fair, if SOG is donating a prize.

Obviously, if an individual member is creating a contest/challenge and personally donating the prize, he can pretty much make his own rules.

Comments, discussion, or suggestions are welcome.

I was impressed by the effort and enthusiasm the participants put into the recent contests.

SOG DOG #2
WISE OLD DOG

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to give 1 to 2 weeks lead time before a contest. Also make it a general topic as not to give away the contest. Like a teaser. Also a specific time limit for people to win. For example I won the contest #4 so I am ineligible for 30 to 90 days to win again. Something of that nature to keep it fair to everyone.

I know that no one knows me here yet, but I'm steve's woman so get used to me. :) anyway, Allan, I agree with you.
IMO, I think it would be great in a competitive aspect for there to be 1 contest at a time with a single winner, maybe depending how many entries you could also have a runner-up.
However, it was a lot of fun keeping an eye on the recent contests.

Steve's idea of a waiting period is a good one but I think 30-90 days is a bit excessive.

Thanks for letting me throw in my .02
Monica (tattoosteve99 #39's woman)

- 1 contest at a time
- show/ or say what the prize is gonna be in the first post of the contest thread.
- make them run the whole month.
I think contests can give energy to a forum but there are gonna be some folks who won't compete no matter what.
Regarding becoming a sogs dog, I think at some point there needs to be requirements to become one. Other than someone just asking for a number. Folks are gonna take things more seriously if they had to work to be a member. Its gonna take some time to get there. We have what 50 members?
When we have 100, we might get 10 who enter a contest and 5 who actually do it.
Takes time is all.
Besides contesting maybe getting discounts on knives or gear. Special promotion type stuff.

There are folks who like sog knives out there, but this sub forum has been pretty boring for awhile. Gotta give em' time to get here and a reason to come here.

I know that no one knows me here yet, but I'm steve's woman so get used to me. :)
Shouldn't be a problem since, as far as Im aware, none of us know each other. ;)

Steve's idea of a waiting period is a good one but I think 30-90 days is a bit excessive.
It seems excessive to me too. If we were giving away cars or something, maybe so, but I really don't think a waiting period is necessary.

Thanks for letting me throw in my .02
Everyone brings a different perspective and diversity is usually beneficial in the end.

- show/ or say what the prize is gonna be in the first post of the contest thread.
Everything....rules, prizes, etc....should be agreed upon and posted at the start of the contest.

make them run the whole month.
Really? Interesting. Seems a bit long, but I can see pluses to that.
But definitely the length should be considered when defining the contest. Appropriate to the task and the prize.

I think contests can give energy to a forum but there are gonna be some folks who won't compete no matter what.
True.
Some folks will not or cannot compete regardless of what you do.
The initial contests were pretty much w&s related, which I, for example, have zero interest in.
Maybe a different type would attract more participation?

Would a monthly raffle/drawing be more effective?

The point, after all is to generate interest and attract people to the product and the group, not have them shrug and move on.

Regarding becoming a sogs dog, I think at some point there needs to be requirements to become one. Other than someone just asking for a number.
There was some discussion of that at the start. Began with show pics of your sogs, then got reduced to list you sogs....neither was enforeced...so it got reduced to ASK. :D

Are there requirements for other smilar groups on BF?
ESEE's RAT Pack (not on BF anymore) required 25 posts in their forum before getting a number.
Not sure what is takes to be Busse HOG...except a huge appetite for Busse knives.

The object from the beginning was to promote interest in SOG knives and generate positive discussion.
I'm not sure how difficult you want to make it to join a group whose primary purpose is to support the SOG products.
Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

We have what 50 members?
32 at this point. Plus the 2 ladys that are "sharing" numbers.
Last request was about a week ago.

There are folks who like sog knives out there, but this sub forum has been pretty boring for awhile. Gotta give em' time to get here and a reason to come here.

Totally agree.
I think we have managed to liven things up a bit over the last month.
I've been curious since the start as to how much interest there is or would be.
Some brands seem to generate a lot of interest, either by accident or design. For example, Spyderco gets the collectors juices flowing with sprint runs.
SOG has a strong following from serious users/collectors with fixed blades, but my perception is that the folders are viewed in a more lackluster way.
Its a challenge.

SOG DOG #2
WISE OLD DOG

Last edited:
Are there requirements for other smilar groups on BF?
ESEE's RAT Pack (not on BF anymore) required 25 posts in their forum before getting a number.
Not sure what is takes to be Busse HOG...except a huge appetite for Busse knives.

The object from the beginning was to promote interest in SOG knives and generate positive discussion.
I'm not sure how difficult you want to make it to join a group whose primary purpose is to support the SOG products.
Do you any suggestions or ideas?

Well I don't think make it hard to become a sog dawg is right, but I do think their should be more criteria than just asking for a number. Here's a couple of examples, Rat pack was 25 post of value started in that subforum, Becker knife and tool was harder and took a full two weeks to get my number, criteria is/was at least 75 posts in the bladeforums and at least 25 of those in the becker subforum, in addition to that you'd have to start at least 5 threads. It's a pride thing, I spend two weeks working on getting my number I'll put it down in my sig line. Why did I do it? initially it was to be eligible for a special forum "BeckerHead " only knife which Ka bar is gonna put out. But then the contests, chance of winning a free blade for learning something I've been wanting to learn anyway. sign me up.

From AlphaDog..

Looks like things have changed since I was gone. :D LadyAlpha and I have read this post several times, & carefully at that. We have decided to make several official changes.
I didn't mean to be too long away--but those of you whom have been with me the longest, know the hell a certain nut put me through as well as the fact that my ribs were busted,
& I had the flu for a month on top of that :( Ugh.. (Finally got over everything but the ribs). I'm not trying to be Mr.Bigshot (However, I am the founder & Head of SOG's DOGs,
& it IS MY place to institute & enforce rules & from here on, I'll be taking this role much, much more seriously--that night, the things I was put through..changed me a little bit,
matured me.) (On top of all that BS--my best-friend, also a girl, is JEALOUS of my fiancee..she's accustomed to 3-to-4 hours talk-time a day..can't do that now..) At any rate,
we do take into consideration every suggestion we see. Yeah, my contests were survival-related (something I know VERY well--since I was judging them, what could be more appropriate).

All in all, contests are hard to come up with--I came up with FOUR.. I put several hours of my LIFE into detaling them out, setting them up, notifications, judging, etc. It's not as easy
as it looks. I do have normal day-to-day activities & duties to attend to as well. They aren't easy to come up with. I figured, that..what with FOUR any of the members could find SOMETHING interesting.. SOG's DOGs is NEW, remember this everyone, & I'm NEW to being the Head & Leader of anything--I'm doing the best I can. You all have likely seen this,
Allan, Mr.Nudger, you outta know this better than anyone :D, you've been with me since day 1.

Yes, there WILL be a requirement to join SOG's DOGs as there was to begin with--List your products (not everyone owns or has access to a camera, which includes LadyAlpha, myself, & Alann45).

Yeah, there are rules

1. Those whom wish to be issued a SOG's DOG's tag # (starting now) MUST list out OR post photos of their SOG products (not everyone, myself included, has access to a camera--you don't either, do you Alann?) It would be unfair to request pictures.

2. Members whom wish to conduct a 'contest--be it give-away, raffle, skill-display, or whatever', makes their own rules, but should follow the basic rules:

Give sufficient notice to ALL members.
Judge fairly.
ALL members should be allowed to participate.
Give sufficient time to complete or enter.
Keep it do-able :) Everyone should have a chance.

3.No foul language in SOG's DOG's threads--for example, it's appreciated if you use, S@#%, for example.

4.No spamming.

5. No derrogatory comments aimed at either SOG, SOG Products, SOG's DOGs, or SOG's DOGs members. If you want to review or comment on a product, & your comment isn't
a positive one--give a REASON for this so that readers can understand why, if there is no reason, it's simply a derrogatory comment--and that can unjustly, unfairly damage a good company's reputation.

6.Yes, there will be 'wait-time' in between contests--31 days. A typical month.

A work in progress..

--

Requirements? A list of owned products is sufficient for BASIC membership. (NO there will not be any fees, especially not for BASIC membership). Recaling the 'ranks' idea I had earlier on into this.. It was an idea--not a well-thought one, but an idea, none-the-less. I have a better one--(Yes, Alpha is the highest & no there is no way to attain it. :p)

Alpha***

Platinum**
Gold**
Silver**

*Basic memberships..
** Advanced memberships..
*** These are unattainable--there are two & two alone :)

Senior*
Junior*
Sophmore*

Basic

Basically, at this time, all but 3 members start out as basic members. These represent one's activity in the threads, as well as those whom have won more than one
contest, are VIPS, or have done exceptional deeds to benefit SOG's DOGs.. In this, if you just want a 'tag-number', you can have it. There are more serious ranks for
more serious members--that should please everyone. Requirements for each rank will come soon.

But, like I said, LadyAlpha & I do view ALL posts here, we take in consideration ALL suggestions & try to include everyone's likes & dislikes, wants & want-nots! We can't please everyone, that is simply impossible, but we do what we can to make SOG's DOGs appealing to all. :) Thank you.

LadyAlpha..
AlphaDog..

From AlphaDog..
Please do us all a favor and log in as yourself when posting comments. Otherwise its going to get very confusing as to who we hearing from or talking to.

it IS MY place to institute & enforce rules & from here on,
I would strongly suggest you post any ideas for rules and get some feedback before unilaterally putting them in place.

All in all, contests are hard to come up
Thats for sure! I've been scratching my head for ideas and none is popping.
In hindsight, we probably should have stretched out the 4 and done them one at a time.

I'm NEW to being the Head & Leader of anything--I'm doing the best I can.
It isn't easy.
Thus my suggestion to get feedback before putting things in place.
It gives folks a better feeling of participation.
Also will provide other perspectives that may alter how we want things done or the best way to do them.

(not everyone, myself included, has access to a camera--you don't either, do you Alann?)
I have a ton of cameras, but most are film (remember film?) I bought a digital a few months ago, but it doesn't take the best closeups.
Plus pics also require the user find a hosting service (not a big deal, just a hassle).

The list of SOGs owned seems a reasoable minimum requirement. After all, if you don't even own one why would you want to join?

OREGON FAL'ER's idea about post count has a lot of merit.
Only downside is that some very interested folks don't tend to post a lot....but then that might motivate them.
Possible you could use the post count in your ranking ideas.

Basically, at this time, all but 3 members start out as basic members.
And those would be?

Requirements for each rank will come soon.
Please have some discussion about that before putting anything in place. You really run the risk of putting some folks off, or even offending them. Honestly, some of it is starting to annoy me.

I'm not crazy about the whole rank idea, but I'm trying to keep an open mind on the subject. It can have a purpose.

SOG DOG #2
WISE OLD DOG

From Alphadog..

You know what--I'm tired of working on this all the time, doing everything I can to keep everybody happy! I've been through alot this week. I figured you'd all be happy to see me back. Obviously not so much. Fine. Whatever. More or less, the old, enthusiastic side of myself is gone. (Btw, she uses my computer far more than I do, too much trouble to log her off, log in on mine, post once or twice, then log her back on--which is why we BOTH sign). I'm tired..so very tired.. I do my best to come up with contests, ones which will NOT void anyone's warranty, that would be fun. I'm tired. Know what, Alann, you already said you don't want the leadership position--so, as my last three acts as AlphaDog:

First--I declare TattooSteve & PinkMonkey as the new Alphas of SOG's DOGs, & yes, I certainly CAN and AM doing this. TattooSteve, I appreciated your comment about watching my back, & I didn't forget it (and won't) and thank you for that, it means alot. Those two are NOW the Alphas of SOG's DOGs.
Second--I give full authority, to Chris@SOG, to do with SOG's DOGs as he deems fits. He wanted to run with it, that is fine by me, it was then, it is now, Chris, I'm sure you will make
it great.
Three--LadyAlpha & I officially step down as the Alphas & officially resign from SOG's DOGs.

I'm not going to bother answering your questions. Too many. I have things to do. I posted my reply to this thread as a sort of guideline, it was more than open to opinions & suggestions.. As I'd said, I wasn't trying to be Mr.Bigshot. That's not my way. It's funny, Alann, you are the one whom nudged me to start it, you're also the one whom nudged me to leave. Of all the SOG's DOGs, I thought you'd be the one to back me up. Fine. Btw. Again, I am TIRED.

No, this is not a mood, I will NOT be back. Ever. I'm sorry..but the old me is simply gone.. The nightmares I've been through this month..it just..sponged all the enthusiasm away. Watching my fiancee's raging mother try to force her into a vehicle..being threatened time & time & time again.. Pfheh! I've had enough drama! Had enough to choke a horse twice over! I don't & didn't need any drama here--this used to cheer me up! Only brings me down now.. I've tried my hardest. You all know that. I'm not cut out for this type of stuff. Steve & PinkMonkey can handle this better than I can. I'm just too tired anymore.. No hard-feelings. I'm just tired.. I have too much on my plate now, I'm sorry--I just don't have the time I used to have. I'm sure you all understand. I'm sure Steve & PinkMonkey will do just fine. (I know you both will--it doesn't take alot of work. Really.)

Yes, I'm sure I've annoyed alot of people--then again, only about 10 (if that) of the total number of members ever even posted anything! Most of them just asked for a number & never posted again!! I'm tired of it! Seriously. People present problems--I try my best to fix them. I screw up. I'm only human. And, as a human, I have a mind & the ability to choose--I choose to leave this behind. I've enough to deal with--weirdo soon-to-be inlaws, a bossy-best-friend, a sick grandmother, bills, training, life in itself--my plate if full. Something must be pushed to the side--again, I am sorry.

LadyAlpha..
AlphaDog..

We will also be cancelling our accounts on this forum--we will not be back--ever. I'm sorry Chris, but I'm sure you'll do just fine with it. Steve & PinkMonkey (Alphas), I'm sure you two will do just fine..

Too late, Steve. As I said, if you don't want the positions--then it can be put up to a vote--I'm not the Alpha anymore. Tired of all the drama, all the work, people putting in suggestions, when I started this, I did about 95% of the work. (Chris, I'm sure, has worked his BUTT OFF). No. I'll not be a member. I'm tired of it. I have too much to deal with. Forget it. If I could figure out how to erase my account here, I'd do it--I'm THAT fed up with it all.

Like one of you said, I was always here--on the posts frequently--I WORKED HARD on this! TOO HARD! Pfheh! I go to the trouble of hand-picking contests, keeping up with posts, reading till my eyes BURNED! No one ever appreciated it. Tired of this. You all have a good time with it--but we'll see how it goes without Mr.Enthusiasm. It was my enthusiastic, positive attitude which drew attention. Look at the views SOG's DOGs generated! Over 7000 & MORE altogether. Whom had, by far, the most posts--me. 32(30 now) members--and hardly any of you ever posted anything! Mostly it was just newbies who wanted a number. Pfheh! I'm out of here--someone else can deal with the drama..I've had enough!

My time is going to be spent with my fiancee, NOT infront of a COMPUTER SCREEN!

I'm DONE! I'm sorry..

B2D..

Can you send me your email address (friend only) I will respect your decision and officially accept the Alpha position.

I don't think anyone was pushing you to leave or putting down on you. Like Steve said, at least stay on as a member! You are a huge asset to this forum, especially since it was mostly your work and determination to get it going.

You love Sog's Dog's! You can't just simply leave!

If you do not want to be the alpha and the other Sog Dogs approve, I would be honored to take the position with Steve. I am an administrator of my own forum that I created so I do have experience there and Steve has the extensive knowledge about blades.
I would like member approval first though.

I just hate to see you leave something that you've poured so much of yourself into.

- 1 contest at a time
- make them run the whole month.
Regarding becoming a sogs dog, I think at some point there needs to be requirements to become one. Other than someone just asking for a number. Folks are gonna take things more seriously if they had to work to be a member. Its gonna take some time to get there. We have what 50 members?
When we have 100, we might get 10 who enter a contest and 5 who actually do it.
Takes time is all.
Besides contesting maybe getting discounts on knives or gear. Special promotion type stuff.

Well put.^

-Do you any suggestions or ideas?
Well I don't think make it hard to become a sog dawg is right, but I do think their should be more criteria than just asking for a number. Here's a couple of examples, Rat pack was 25 post of value started in that subforum, Becker knife and tool was harder and took a full two weeks to get my number, criteria is/was at least 75 posts in the bladeforums and at least 25 of those in the becker subforum, in addition to that you'd have to start at least 5 threads. It's a pride thing, I spend two weeks working on getting my number I'll put it down in my sig line. Why did I do it? initially it was to be eligible for a special forum "BeckerHead " only knife which Ka bar is gonna put out. But then the contests, chance of winning a free blade for learning something I've been wanting to learn anyway. sign me up.

I think we need to get our membership #'s up first, but I do think there should be some criteria. A certain amount of post's maybe.

I'm no knife expert, I am learning like most others. I have noticed people coming to the Sog forum with questions that go unanswered. I've done my best to answer what I can. Or welcome them to the forum.
But if someone with one or a few posts, asks a question and gets no answer, they are not going to hang out here long. So we all need to contribute to help move the Sog Dogs along.

EDIT: WOW ! Read OREGON FAL'ER posts then responded. Went to see my post on this page and seen the above from ALFA.:confused: Not sure what to say. If your not happy or its taking up too much of your time, then yes you should step down, not out, but down. This forum has had life brought into it. You have done a lot. But all members need to contribute. And we don't need drama spilled out over these pages.

Last edited:
I hate it too. I'm sorry. But I can't allow members to second-guess me like that. Afterall, I started SOG's DOGs--I took the risk of getting in trouble with the company, I founded it,
came up with the name, got the companies blessing, & worked my A@@ off keeping it going & growing. Oh, I know, what an asset I am to SOG's DOGs..It was my energetic, enthusiastic, & positive-attitude that started all this, that fed & grew it. I'm tired. I had busted ribs, the WHOLE right side, dealing with the FLU & a crazy ex--AND I WAS STILL here EVERYDAY, happy to do it, & happy to please the members. Like I said, I've run clubs before--when it comes to voting on stuff like rules--it goes nowhere. An Alpha is the LEADER of the pack, the Alpha SETS the RULES--NOT the pack. Oh, I was put down. All the members had to do was sitback & enjoy! The only help I ever asked for was helping keeping the member's roster clear & up-to-date. I never asked for anything else. Whatever. I'm tired. I've wasted hours sitting here I could've been cuddled up in her arms. I'll not make that mistake again. No way in hell. Oh, believe me, when I say, it'll be VERY difficult to replace me. Good luck with that. Yeah, I did pour alot of myself into this! Far too much. You're making a mistake there, PinkMonkey--the members don't need to agree--it was one of my last acts to declare you and Steve as the Alphas, which means, it's already done! You and Steve are the Alphas now--and no one can take that position away from either of you. Run SOG's DOGs well, Chris will help you I'm sure--work with him, without Chris, it will fade away as quickly as it was born..

From LadyAlpha..

I have seen all the hard work that he has put into this and the time that he has sit here and gone through posts. I hate to see someone step up (who obivously didn't want the leadership position) and try to run over the top of him. As he has said things have been heck here for awhile and he is always here trying to keep the board up beat. I for one am tired of seeing people think that because they are a member they can just run things. The ALPHA is the head dog and is to run the pack, but some people seem to not have realized that. It is all good. I have said my piece and now I am out. Tired of seeing the man I love torn to pieces of people trying to run things that he can clearly handle on his own!!!

B2D..
LadyAlpha..

I think we need to get our membership #'s up first, but I do think there should be some criteria. A certain amount of post's maybe.

But if someone with one or a few posts, asks a question and gets no answer, they are not going to hang out here long. So we all need to contribute to help move the Sog Dogs along.

The # of posts idea has a lot of merit. The problem is that, as you note, there isn't a great deal of message traffic here.

Maybe continue as is until the number count gets to say 100 or so and then figure out a basic requirement.

The main points initially were to generate interest and support, and hopefully more discussion.

SOG DOG #2
WISE OLD DOG

Back