CONTEST! Win a SOG Scuba/Demo Prototype Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-guy
posted 05-25-2001 03:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOG means saving the day...

There's your winner. K-guy made me feel like I was there slicing that ice. He's right too. I can see my SEAL 2000 doing the same thing.

Hey Esav,

I didn't know you were on the voting committee?
wink.gif
Welcome...

Seriously, we have some great entries. We'll have fun going through them.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Esav,

Thanks for your vote. But, there are many SOG fans with talents far better than mine. I was just being sincere about my experience with my Pentagon! These are great knives! Good luck to all who enter.
biggrin.gif

RW

A SOG knife represents many things to me among them, the highest traditions of the American Fighting Man.

In an age of Radar screens and pushbutton warfare, there remains a need for that man on the ground. No matter how complex the electronic battlefield of the future may become, the American Fighting Man will still remain the deciding factor in any conflict.

Let Generals sit in environmentally controlled command centers and command their blips to march across the screen. At some point, that blip becomes a man with a mission, tasked to do the deeds that bring the Generals their victory. Often, this man, though fighting on what he is told is an Electronic Battlefield, is equipped with that oldest of tools, the knife.

The American Fighting Man may have many high tech gadgets at his disposal, but time and again, history has proven that he will eventually be required to turn to that oldest tool and it will not let him down. His knife will function in blistering heat and freezing cold. It will function in arid desert or sweltering swamp, the knife does not care, nor does the man.

SOG Knives embody this spirit, bringing to mind the days of the Special Forces soldier and Navy SEAL in Viet Nam. When these hard men with hard missions went out of their way to procure, at their own expense, the blades they would depend on to keep them alive in the gravest extreme, they chose blades that the SOG Knives of today can rightfully claim as their ancestors.

When you hold a SOG Knife in your hand, take a moment.
Feel the History. Touch the Future.

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor
Usual Suspect
MOLON LABE!

I had just received my Northwest Ranger, I had been handling it as any new toy when the wife asked me to drop my three daughters in the tub. Ages one, two, and four at the time, I had the older two in when I went to get the baby. As I approached her she was under a small trampoline, a gift from my brother. As I got closer to her I noticed something threadlike around her neck, I immediately got down and supported her with my left arm, part of the nylon thread from the trampoline had not been sealed properly and the kids had been pulling it out. she had two wraps around her neck that sunk into the baby fat on her neck, with my right hand I pulled the knife out, knocked the sheath off and cut the nylon line, then unwrapped it from her neck. If she would have moved from her push up position it would have tightened around her neck. Timing is everything. It was over and she didn't even know what happened. I tried to break the line with my hands, all it did was dig deaper into my skin and start to cut into my hands, real strong stuff.
Obviously any knife would have worked, but on that day at that time it was a SOG. The knife waits in the safe until my daughter is old enough, then its hers.
Last year I was hunting alligators in Louisana. My hunting partners were and Army general and retired Colonel. We were all hunting with .45's, I carried the SOG, the other two carried Randall knives, I looked at their knives once, they looked at the SOG N.W. Ranger several times, the general finally picked it up one last time and said " SOG, good knives, good steel.." enough said.
I plan on getting two more N.W. Rangers for my two other daughters, and better get one for myself, along with some pocket folders. I have a number of knives from various makers, SOG sure has a spot in my heart that they don't.
Win or lose, it doesn't matter, keep making good tools.

Thanks, Tom & his girls

Good Evening.
It is I,
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL VAMPIRE GERBIL!

Back when I was a little boy, I was taunted by my playmates for being just a tad too pretty. Many is the time that I was the last person to be picked for a baseball, basketball or dodgeball game, for some reason. Yet I was always the first one asked to sleep over people's houses.
As you can see, I have both painful and nauseating feelings regarding my youth.
One day, my dad, Agnes "Get your feet off my floor, you little freak!" Gerbil, got drunk and actually bought me a present. It was a jigsaw puzzle that depicted a scene from the new James Bond movie, "Thunderball".
"Wow! Dad sure is wrecked!", thought I, as I opened the mayonnaise soaked package. And then I saw it! The picture that the puzzle was supposed to form. An exciting scene that showed Sean Connery as Bond, JAMES Bond, fighting off some ruffians that were trying to steal the hubcaps from his Astin Martin. JB, as I like to call him, had his trusty Hi Standard .22 aimed at a particularly sinister looking tough, who I immediately named "Binky".
Binky was menacing JB with a knife.
Not just ANY knife, either!
It was a long and scary looking knife, and I was immediately smitten with Binky and his weapon.
So many times I stared at the Binkyblade, saying to myself, "I wonder when dad will come and unlock these handcuffs...if I only had a Binkyblade of my own, I would be able to cut through these and get to work on the puzzle!
Many years later, after the cops came to take dad away, and the puzzle had long since been eaten, I found that sweet mysterious Binkyblade of my youth.
I was shopping for my prom dress, looking through the usual catologs, when I saw it! Brigade Quartermasters was offering a SOG Bowie for sale!
My heart raced, my pulse raced too, as it is affected by my heart, and I rejoiced in the fact that I had found my Holy Grail... THE BINKY BOWIE!
I immediately filled out the order form and ordered three.. one for each hand. Several weeks passed, but my Binky Battle Blade had yet to arrive. I called Brigade Quartermasters...
"Hello, this is Vampire Gerbil. Where the **** are my Binky Battle Bowie Blades?"
Apparently, they were having some telephone troubles, as I kept getting disconnected, and then they couldn't understand what I was asking for.
Finally, they realized who I was, and what I was asking for. I was informed that they were unable to process my order due to the fact that I had filled the order form out with a yellow crayon, and that they were unfamiliar with Binky Battle Bowie Blades.
After much crying, screaming and threatening on Brigade Quartermaster's part, we came to an understanding, and I was told to expect my Binky Battle Bowie Blades shortly.
A few days later, I was started by the sound of my cat barking. This is unusual, as the cat only barks when someone is at the door, and I rarely get any visitors. I showered, shaved and put on a new sack, and answered the door, happy as a duck on ether to find that the UPS man was there, accompanied by a SWAT Team. (Long story about that, but there's a word limit here. Suffice to say that I am listed in UPS's Most Dangerous Houses to Deliver Stuff To list)
I squealed with delight, only to hear the numerous clicking and clacking that accompanies the locking and loading of automatic weapons.
I signed for the package with my foot, and ran inside.
MY BINKY BATTLE BOWIE BLADES HAD ARRIVED!!!
It was just as I expected, but better! The shape of the blade was identical to the one that Binky had attacked Bond, JAMES Bond with, and I was able to see that it had a leather washer handle!
To say I was excited is like saying that Rosie O'Donnel is not quietly anorexic!
I still have that blade, and will have it until the day I stop living this life. I shall have it forwarded to me in the next one, so that when I'm handcuffed in a locked room, I'll be able to cut my way free!
I would tell my story of the OTHER knife that made me writhe in desperation... a Scuba-Demo knife that was featured in a Bay Watch episode I imagined, where all the hot babes attacked me, and used me in the most nasty way imaginable... but there's a limit to the amount of words I'm allowed to type here.
In closing, I would like to say thank you to SOG for making a little boy-man's dreams come true.

A SOG knife represents perfection to me, as it is blessed with an appealing battle proven signature design. It was pure fate that it was ever fabricated. Its namesake was a knife born of war, and it was born to win. With no room for error or mistakes, black ops meant that these knives actually tipped the scales between life and death. Failure was not an option, and it was there to proof it! SOG Knives draws its strength upon its rich and colorful covert military namesake. No other cutlery firm can boast that its lineage was created solely for a covert war deep in the guts of a war torn 'Nam!

With the introduction of the SOG Bowie, the first high-end factory made "quality ensured", deep gun blued SOG battle blade was born. As a knife it was awesome, as a tool it was reliable, as a product it was perfection. It was a work of art. Indeed only a handful of US military blades were at all appealing to look at. It was magnificent in everyway. A uniformed deep gun blue finish, a tan colored lightly sculpted finger-grooved smooth leather handle with spacers, plus a durable thick black leather sheath. It was a package few could resist. In your hand it was a magical wand that could suddenly inspire great self confidence. It was medium weight, and felt really right at home in either hand. It was shaving sharp and rearing to go. This was a knife that knew no boundary and come hell or high water this was going to be the "Alamo Knife" to many a collector.

With its historically bold and bloodied bloodline, SOG Knives single handedly hacked its way through the old vines of the cutlery world and forever changed the perception that battle blades were only good for war. SOG Knives had immortalized the SOG Bowie and in the process had enshrined itself as the prime maker for heroically inspired battle bladeware. To the cutlery world, this represented a new phase in factory made knives. SOG Knives had set a new standard in the manufacture and design of knives, and this had "the old hands" gaping in awe. For the most of part it, generic American knife manufacturers found SOG Knives a hard act to follow. How could you beat the perfected skill of hunderds of years in Japanese sword making? But this was a joint path of destiny for both Americans and Asians. SOG bowies rose in the battlefields of Asia and SOG Knives was a product of positive cooperation amongst once warring nations. Because of the great sucess SOG Knives, a few upstart F.N.G.'s were inspired to walk the same path but they lacked the direction, determination and were certainly not guided by the same spirit of history and dedication.

For the next few years since the introduction of the SOG Bowie, a whole new range of warrior blades sprung forth from this brave and gallant firm. It had broken the chains of age old production norms and recast a new mould for the industry itself. And it was on a winning streak, the SOG Tomcat was certainly more than just your ordinary folder. With its Al Mar inspired frontal back spring lock, solid construction, firm kraton grips and signature blade curves; it was to me at least, the first true battle folder of my time - the late 20th century. The SOG Tech's were the order for the day. And who could readily forget that gun blued Tiger Shark? This devilish modernized SOG Bowie put on steroids, was ready to take down rogue elephants any day, anytime. I was cheering in jubilation when SOG Knives was appointed an official SEAL knife supplier. And I relish ever word of it as written by Greg Walker and Steve Dick amongst others; in issues of Fighting Knives, Blade Magazine, National Knife Collectors Magazine, to name a few. If it was good enough for Uncle Sam, it was good enough for me to add one more SOG Knife to the collection.

And now with the 21st century underway, I suddenly realize just how much we need to hold on to the past, to face the present and uncertain future; in much the same way that SOG Knives has in ensuring its own future by directly connecting both past and present in its line of cutlery and thus ensuring a continuity of ethics and vision that time or space can never limit - the spirit of achievement. What SOG Knives mean to me? Its tradition of perfection that stood the test of time. The next time you see an SOG Knife - remember what I just told you.

As a Police officer, I responded to a call of a very emotionally disturbed 15 year old. Upon arriving to the next Town over who radioded me for help, we were met by High powered gunfire. The boy had barricaded himself in his home located on a corner lot on a very busy highway into the City of Concord, New Hampshire, our capital. I had taken three rounds through my windshield and then got to my trunk, put on my tactical vest and grabbed the only long barrel we used back then, a Remington 870 pump. While directing traffic away from the shooter who had 13 guns and over 2000 rounds I took a durect hit from a 30-.06 hi-powered rifle in the left leg just below the knee, blowing my lower leg almost off. I also took two hiyts in my tactical vest that did penetrate but only entered about one inch into my body. As I laid pinned down unable to be extricated, I need a knife to cut the straps on the vest and to cut my pant legs to see the damage as I knew it was serious and i was bleeding to death. A SOG, with its' one handed razor sharp ability to cut would have cut right thru the Kevlar and right thru my pants material to get the burning lead away from my chest and get to my leg thru the pants material. In my case a SOG would have been a true life saver instead of the knife I did have that would not cut open my vest. A Sog might have made a big difference in my health today....Wolfmann@aol.com

I do not have any life of death stories of me with my SOG. Nothing heroic about this knife, it has never saved any lifes or used in an emergency. When I chose to buy my X-Ray Vision it was because I knew that I could rely on it every day. I knew that it would never fail on me when I needed it the most, and it has not. I use it every day from hard cutting tasks to very delicate and it handles them all with ease. I have never had a knife from any other brand that is so high in quality and in value. This knife is built so well that it will last almost forever. In twenty years or more when it is time to get a new knife, I promise that it will be another SOG.

KnifeMan

SOG should be changed to S.O.B because they have completely ruined gift-giving in my family.

There was a time when I could run down to Big Red's and grab a gift certificate for a kielbasa dog and espresso, put it in a humorous card, and have a happy relative. But just ONCE I thought maybe I would upgrade the blade supply of 2 brothers and 1 father. Nothing fancy, a couple E-Clips and a CrossCut, done for the year.

They are completely ruined.

Oh, not the knives mind you. SOG products are fantastic quality pieces. I doubt even their destructive idiocy could destroy one. No, my relatives are completely ruined. They obviously have done with whatever piece of broken beer bottle they could find to cut stuff in the past. Now it's just awful. No kielbasa dog is going to satisfy them from here on out. No, they are rifling my catalogs, Blade Magazines, and brochures in a frantic effort to see just what new, innovative, fantastic SOG product they can weasel out of me.

Dad is making up holidays so I could get him a new SOG.
-- "Hey, it's Rainier Beer's 77th aniversary this year, how bout that Trident?"
OR
-- "The Mariners won 15 in a row ya know.... yer ol' dad sure has been eyein' that TigerShark.."

Little Brother is worse. It's as though I hooked him on crack. He shakes now, and his eyes roll wildly in their sockets when he talks to me...
-- "Come on maaaaan, I know you got the good stuuuuffff. Quit holdin' out on me maaaann. I can't HANDLE the 420j2 stuff now, I GOTTA HAVE the goods..."

I almost wish I would have hooked him on crack now. I mean, what are they going to say when I haul his sorry behind into the rehab center.... Are they gonna believe me when I tell them that I can't afford to supply his SOG habit? Is there a cure?? What are the DT's like from this affliction??

So now I just sit and shake my head.
"Sure, what the hell..." I say to myself. "I'll just go spend that pile of money that I got out behind the garage piled up like cordwood. I can get online, eat my kielbasa dog and espresso from Big Red's that you guys chipped in to get me, and whip up all the SOG stuff you guys want. Just get off my A$$ !!!!"

I can't afford what you have done to my family, SOG. You hear me? You all should be struck upside the head with some sort of frozen animal. Like a jackrabbit. Yeah... ka-THWUMP!

No, no... like a frozen cobra, with the mouth open. KEEYAAAAHH!

Bastids

Baptized in the fragrant heat of Thailand.
Confirmed in the blinding sandstorms of Kuwait.
Legitimized in the deer camps of Michigan.
SOG has been there, will be there.

Among men who routinely push their equipment to the limit,
SOG is the "standard of excellence".
An honest company thriving on pure steel and timeless design.
Designs that are innovative yet somehow classic.
The skill to turn thoughts into steel.

A company with one mission statement:
"A person who purchases a knife from us may
need it to survive. It has to be THAT good"

Designed by the poet, built for the warrior.

OK folks, the time has come. All entrants have posted. Everyone has waxed eloquent. With the tick of the clock at midnight, SOG's first contest has now concluded.

As promised, a prototype model of SOG's Scuba/Demo will be given away to the writer of the best entry. Per the rules, within ten days (hopefully within only several), we will announce the winner. A panel of SOG employees will choose the best entry. I've been reading them as each of you has posted, and there have been many outstanding entries.

Check back here over the next ten days, and I'll post, of course, the winner!

The winner will also be notified by email.

Thanks, everyone, for your participation.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

SOGLogo3.gif
The SOG Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back