Convex edge /flat grind

Hi quick question, I have ready about the mousepad method of maintaining a convex edge.* I imagine that this would be a good edge to have and be easy to maintain.
However, is it possible to use this method on a flat grind to produce a flat grind / convex edge.
Is this recommended?

I've done it and really happy with the results. If your edge is thick, I would you thin it out before starting. Stick around I'm sure more people will have more info. Maybe I will to after I get some coffee

The knife is a Spyderco with 15° edge so I believe it shouldn't be too thick.

Did you use the mouse pad and wet/dry method?

I have used the mousepad on many different grinds--I just sharpen until it gets to the sharpness I want. eventually, you will notice a very convex edge to the knife.

My first knife to convex with sandpaper was a big ol' honkin" Cold Steel SRK! (Carbon V) A lot of work for a knife that size, but it worked. The knife is push cutting sharp!:thumbup:

Aftr that, I bought a belt sander!:D:D

I've found the convex method works well on most of the common grinds. Since learning about it here on the forum, I've applied it to all my blades and feel they have all been improved. As one poster already mentioned, I had to thin out some of the grinds first before the convex was applied.

Since I bought my HF belt sander, I use a convex grind on all my knives, especially the kitchen ones. I do a full convex blend back into the main body of the blade. It takes some work initially, but once done, edge maintenance is actually a bit easier. What you get for your trouble is:
1) An edge that cuts better than a flat grind for the same durability (no surprise).
2) Better control when you cut, since the edge will bite at shallower angles. Skin a squirrel or shave paper thin slices off an onion for your sandwich - it really does make a difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: PS: A mouse pad will get you there, too. It just takes longer. The same maintenance advantages apply.

AFAIK, Bark River knives all come with a convex edge, and from my experience, Bark River knives are among the best available.:thumbup::thumbup::)

Yes, you can do it. Depending upon the knife, it may be a lot of work, but the rewards are great IMO. I have converted two knives to convex grind. Both were 1095 carbon, both responded well, both shave hair and strop back to razor easily. Go for it.

Back