Convex Edge to V Edge

One of my knives has a flat grind with secondary convex bevel. Any reason why I couldn't take a diamond stone and make it a V edge with, I'd say a 40 degree inclusive angle, instead? If this doesn't violate some rule I don't know about, does anybody have any tips on how I should go about this?

Welcome to BF. I did it with a fiddleback forge, put it on the wicked edge. Wahla. So let it be written, so let it be done.

No problems thus far. What blade? folder, fixed, and what steel you planning on trying this with?

If it's of any interest the knife was done by a local maker.
Aside from debates about what is better blade geometry, is there anything I should look out for while doing this that might make the blade worse or damaged?

Welcome! I have done what you're asking about, but I used an Edge Pro Apex (EPA). The EPA is a consistent-angle sharpening system, and it is something worth looking into if you want to re-profile an edge on any blade. Search "Edge Pro Apex" on YouTube and check it out...

By doing so, you're weakening the edge. Changing a convex arc to a flat will always require material removal. Convex edges also generate less friction, as a convex edge seamlessly transitions from the edge surface to the blade surface.

By doing so, you're weakening the edge. Changing a convex arc to a flat will always require material removal. Convex edges also generate less friction, as a convex edge seamlessly transitions from the edge surface to the blade surface.

Depends on what angle you reprofile to. Any sharpening or reprofile will require material removal, but you can definitely reprofile it to a thicker edge with more steel behind it.

ps... you would want more than a diamond stone. IMHO - 600 grit makes a nice rough edge. If you only use a low grit quick cutting diamond stone you will end up with a pretty jagged edge before successive grits.

Depends on what angle you reprofile to. Any sharpening or reprofile will require material removal, but you can definitely reprofile it to a thicker edge with more steel behind it.

That is true, but you would have to relocate the edge further up, and you can only sharpen/repair the edge so many times on a FFG grind (VS a hollow grind)

Back