convex sharpening pressure?

I use a fair amount of pressure when useing a mouse pad instead of the recommended lighter pressure that most others are advocating. Has anyone else gotten better results with more pressure also?

You've got more contact area with sandpaper/mouspad than a hard flat surface, so you can use proportionally more pressure. It's one of the things that make this technique so fast.

I use heavy pressure with my coarse grits and progressively use less as the grits go higher. There are many things that can play into it though, the material, thickness and hardness of of the backing are just some of them.

I use lighter pressure for pocket knives, and for axes and choppers I'd use a low angle with lots of pressure.

I use lighter pressure for pocket knives, and for axes and choppers I'd use a low angle with lots of pressure.

Ding, Ding, Ding! Thats the right answer..... If its a thin blade, you are just killing your edge. If its a thick ass blade, put some force on it.

Oh but wait..... STOP USING A MOUSEPAD!!!! Use a thick piece of scrap leather, I bet one of the sheath makers around here would have some scrap they could be coaxed into selling you.

I bought a nearly 2 sq. ft. piece of leather that was about 3/8" thick. I cut it into a 8 1/2" x 11" rectangle. Use this instead of a mousepad, and you dont have to worry so much about pressure.

The best part of convex sharpening is that it really is a no-brainer compaired to sharpening on stones.... I couldnt get a decent edge on a sharpmaker to save my life, how am I doing now?

FAT Game Warden
DSCN0568.jpg

Battle Mistress, first edge reprofile:
DSCN0516.jpg

Battle Mistress, second reprofile:
DSCN0666.jpg

You can do it on thin knives too!!!

Busse BAD:
DSCN0829.jpg

Sebenza:
DSCN0820.jpg

Back