Convex Sharpening Set-Up? +A Bonus Rant/Funny Story!

+1 on the belt. It's cheap and it works well. I had a buddy who's grandpa could put a wicked edge on just about any blade using the side of an old boot as a strop, another nice cheap alternative.

If you want a nice new piece of leather then Tandy Leather is a great place to go if you have one close. The one here in Indianapolis has a scrap bin that has had some good pieces the few times I've been in. . . big enough for a couple of knife sheaths and strops and whatever other relatively small projects you might have in mind. Craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels usually have a small selection of Tandy leather stuff but the leather they sell is pretty thin and soft. . . not suitable for a sheath but maybe acceptable as a strop.

I'd love to find a strip of leather too. I have used a carpenter's belt with jeweler's rouge with success. You can sharpen your knife AND hold up your pants at the same time. ;)

Brian,

I went leather hunting myself and ended my journey at a place called "Hobby Lobby" here in my town.
Check your local Arts & Crafts stores, there is usually a leather crafts section in most of them where you can find cut strip leather. I found some cut in 3in wide by 3ft long sections that is working great but multiple sizes can be found.

I do not use leather strops, but there is a store in my town that sells fabric and upholstery and they have a variety of leather including large scraps that are very inexpensive. You might try checking your phone book for upholstery and fabric suppliers.

Hey Jonesjp, thanks for the link. I've never seen that kind of soft-backed abrasive. I've got to give it a try.

Just started on convexing the edge on my Gerber Big Rock. I don't really use this knife, but I just started by using the 400 grit sandpaper on a mousepad and I just started drawing it back in the convex manner. I'm not sure whether it's actually convexed, and many of you may say that what I just did wouldn't have done it, but to me it looks like it is!

And I figured since I only use this knife as a beater, it'd be great to practice on, and use all the techniques described here!

My digital camera has a video mode. The files are HUGE though. Does anyone know if I can post them to photobucket?

if they're large files, it's gonna take a while.

maybe try something like SUPER to reduce the file size

I used to sharpen edge trailing with SiC stones. The size of the burr depends on more than just direction, though trailing makes it a bit more prominent.

I have a different opinion about the way to sharpen a convex edge or grind.
I use a stone, because of the burr formation process.
I push the blade edge forwards to make a burr. To make a burr, when you pull the edge backward you stress the steel, when you push forwards you compact the steel. It's not a detail, a compact burr is more even.

An other reason why i prefer to use a stone is i always make some passes with the grind flat on the stone to keep the original edge thinness. Easier to do with a stone.

dantzk.

hmmm i had found a web site before but cant find the link or book mark i had but they had emory cloth that went up to 5000 for pretty reasonable prices (i think they primarily had kits of it to step up but you could also get individual sheets). ill try to dig and see if i can find it again

o but if im paying 50$ for a small piece of leather it better be buffalo hide that sings to me when i strop a knife

found some emery cloth http://www.shorinternational.com/Emery.htm not what i was looking for but it has up to like 8000 grit

-matt

i got a good leather belt for a few cents at a consignment shop and cut it into strips and use gray tripoli as compound.

i also use cereal box cardstock as a backing for the compound and for the paper for a less flexible backing.

for grit, i have only found paper up to 1200, so that is as high as i go. it sitll shaves very well at that grit though.

funny story by the way. i have run into a few people like that before. i just shut up and walk away most of the time.

Has anyone tried using Flitz or similar polishing compounds for sharpening on a strap?

Back