Convince me...

Thinking about trying to get an XM-18... Not sure if I would actually use it enough to justify the price. Anyone ever have a similar feeling?

"One of the funniest stories in my circle of friends is when my one friend had too much to drink one night and he stormed into the mens room at the bar to throw up.

He burst into a stall and spewed. Unfortunately there was somebody sitting on the throne at the time. My friend saw the guy wanting to get up to punch him, so he punched the guy first.

Can you imagine sitting on the toilet, some fucker bursts in, hurls on you and then punches you in the face?"

l2lku

MiG

to be honest, the XM is not for everyone.
It has that rugged look that sway away some people looking for a gentlemen EDC.
It has a secondary market price that people will have a hard time finding a good deal.
It has spanto blade that is meant to axe down tree and not much delicate work.

But if you like the look, by all means go for it.
It toughness make you feel it can take on ANY task.
Put on some lub and it glides like baby's skin, better than glass.
flip it, use it and after a while, it still feel like brand new.
I have one production and one custom, i am still amazed by it every single day.

Good luck.

How is it for slicing? I sometimes get frustrated with some of my thicker fixed blades (about 0.22") when they are so thick that it's sometimes a pain to do finer work.

:eek:

So theme is bust out your xm-18 while siting on the throne ;)

"One of the funniest stories in my circle of friends is when my one friend had too much to drink one night and he stormed into the mens room at the bar to throw up.

He burst into a stall and spewed. Unfortunately there was somebody sitting on the throne at the time. My friend saw the guy wanting to get up to punch him, so he punched the guy first.

Can you imagine sitting on the toilet, some fucker bursts in, hurls on you and then punches you in the face?"

l2lku

MiG

The standard 3.5" XM-18 spanto blade is not a slicer imho,,, there are however custom slicer-grinds available, but very rare and very hard to come by,,,

l2lku

MiG

That would suck.

As to the op. The XM-18 or any other Hinderer product will consume you almost forcing you to use it, kinda scarry.:D

if you don't end up using it enough, you could always send it down my way, I'll use it for sure :D

But seriously, i say go for it, try it out, and if you don't like it, I'm sure you could easily get back what you paid for it. They also pop up on the market place occasionally at really good prices.

Keep the spanto sharp and it slices and dices and prys stuff open. This is the best folding knife period!

If you can get one for the actual retail price, then yes, they are worth it. However, paying the crazy prices that the aftermarket demands, I will have to pass, and they are not worth those prices. YMMV

They're tough knives yet very smooth opening.Tolerances are fantastic.
Even the production spanto can be sharpened to a crazy level.But true,it's not the best slicer.Cutting up an apple for eg.is no problem though.

If that slicing is really required you could get a hollow ground custom.The exist in various grinds.There even is a "slicer" grind (I have one of those and no it didn't steal the name)

I would advise you to handle one first.But chances are you get hooked on them.

Pricing on the secondary market is higher.But imo Rick's table prices are very low.A full custom XM-18 at a show sells for $550.Find me a same quality priced FULL CUSTOM for that amount!That will be the challange.

The prior posts here contain some good advice that I will reiterate:

Try one before you buy one. Find someone near where you live and ask if you could meet and try their knife out. I think many people may oblige, especially if the pizza and beer (or soda) is on you. After trying it out, if you are still unsure, then my guess is that it probably is NOT the knife for you.

Finally, I am not sure what you mean by a "slicer" (well, not exactly anyway since it is a subjective term), but you could have one reground to be a better "slicer" if that is your preference. IMO, however, you then give up some of the "beef" that many folks who buy this knife are searching for. Your knife will simply not be able to stand up to as hard a usage as a stock XM-18. Still, it may stand up to what usage you would put it through. Only you can gauge that though. My preferred solution is to carry a slicer for slicing (eg. Spyderco Caly 3 in ZDP) and the Hinderer for other things. After all, the XM-18 will never slice as good as the Caly 3 and the Caly 3 could never withstand some of the heavier abuse that the XM-18 just shrugs off. This way, I have the best of both worlds.

If you need to be convinced, that it is NOT the knife for you.

Basically, I wanted input from you all as to the cost vs. use aspects of this knife. I own plenty of higher dollar knives... but that doesn't mean I don't think before buying them, and get user feedback first... Instead of "convinced" let's just say interested. :thumbup:

What cost? For what it does its dirt cheap :) :D JK :)
You can always sell it for about what you've paid if you dont like it. No risk here :D

The XM-18 is a sweet knife and its worth the money. Just like everyone said if you buy one and dont like it you can get your money out of it.

Back