Cooking with aluminum: Health concerns?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by The Government, Feb 25, 2010.

1. The Government

The Government

Aug 21, 2009
    When cooking or boiling water with aluminum pots and other devices should there be any concern for long term health risks?:confused:

I have heard a bit of controversy and I am curious as to your opinions or experiences with aluminum cook wear (anodized or not).

thoughts?:)

Thanks,

The Gov

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Aluminum is commonly found on commercial cookware, and has been used for cooking purposes for decades. I personally see no real cause for concern. Any supposed link with Alzheimer's is inconclusive at best. It's not even known if the high amounts of aluminum salts in Alzheimer's patients' brains results directly from the consumption of aluminum or if it's simply a mechanic of the disease.

You shouldn't have much cause for concern, especially if you don't do it every day. But that's just my thoughts on it. :)

3. raider63

raider63 Banned BANNED

Apr 21, 2009
    I think health concerns would only be if you sctrached the aluminum not the heat on the pot or pan itself

4. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    so far as I am concerned, its a non issue.

5. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    one of those deals where you can find hundreds of experts on either side of the discussion.

We older people think of such issues as a "ford/chevy" topic. :)

6. baldtaco-II

baldtaco-II

Feb 28, 2006
    I will continue to choose aluminum for the foreseeable future.

7. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    I don't use it at home because I think cast iron and stainless are better.

I almost always use it on the trail because it's light and cheap.:thumbup:

I tried to read up on it as much as I could and I'm not worried.:D

Now...uh- What were we talking about?????:eek:;):D

8. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006
    A lot of the Scandanavian countries have outlawed the use of Aluminum for home and commercial use. They have done a ton of more studies then we have.
    I will play it safe and not use the stuff except for occasionally on a camping trip. Most of my camp cook wear is stainless but my big pot is aluminum.
    Oldman/Marty Simon

9. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    wouldn't touch that crap with a ten foot pole.

cast iron, SS, titatium all the way.

10. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER

Nov 24, 2008
    ss or ti for me..........

11. beef

beef

Feb 15, 2004
    That alzheimers/ aluminium this was disproven a while back wasn't it?

I like titanium, but it is expensive. Aluminium is actually lighter, though weaker than titanium. But that doesn't worry me, as I don't need a "bombproof SHTF cooking pot", just something capable of holding water, whilst being lightweight and cheap :)

12. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    That made me laugh...just can't remember what I was reading though:confused::D

ROCK6

13. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    the problem with using aluminum cookware, is when one cooks ACIDIC foods, like pasta sauce etc etc. The acidic foods leach off aluminum from the pan.

one of the studies at the UBC Alzheimers clinic, was measuring just how much soluble aluminum leached off during cooking. They tested many different foods and the aluminum count with acidic foods was off the charts. The older the cooking pot was, the worse the leaching. Older people tend to hang onto their cooking ware, as most of them went thru the Depression era, as a result the cookware is worn, pitted and they use it every day.

occasional camp users might not ever see a health problem.......but why chance it when there is so many ultralight SS and ti pots for CHEAP out there?

14. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I prefer ss or Ti, but the reasons are mostly durability and cool factor. My love of steel goes beyond knives alone--I just love the material, especially with a high polish. Same goes for Ti, though the polish thing falls mostly by the wayside since it's so hard to buff up. :)

15. The Government

The Government

Aug 21, 2009
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I have always been told to never use aluminum cook wear for anything. In the house we only have CI and SS.

I bought a "survival tin" a while ago that had a big lid and a fold-out handle. It was built to store a PSK and to be used as a cooking device. Pain old aluminum metal. I have been wanting to try it out for fun and to assess its worth, but I always have second thoughts about the aluminum. Being lost and confused 24/7 does not sound like a fun disease for anyone.

To be honest, Ill probably keep it and wait until I can upgrade it to SS or TI. It does not sound to my like the issue has ever been solved.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  16. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    I had an old aluminum mess kit that warped if I cooked over a fire. Threw it away. My old boy scout mess kit is aluminum (I think) and it is tough as hell, but just sits around. I usually use my SS or titanium stuff, but have the occcasional aluminum dish in a kit and don't think twice about using it. I'm not using my stuff daily. I have a carbon wok, cast iron pot, and cast iron skillet for kitchen duty. I had heard something about these studies, but don't know anything about it.

17. hiwa

hiwa

Jun 7, 2009
    In the bush, I use cast iron , unless I'm going ultra-light. Then my aluminum ! quart comes along , or a coffee can billy. Occasional use I wouldn't worry about. I hate aluminum cups though; burns the lips and bends easily so I prefer stainless double walled then.

According to Mors K. , a pot is an invaluable bush item , and I agree. To me , no kettle , pan , water bottle , etc. compares to the versatilty of just a regular 'ol quart pot. I don't even care if it nests a water bottle or whatever , I can always cram some stuff in it. :D

18. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    Alzheimer's and herpes simplex virus-1 have been linked, as well as reduction of glucose to the brain, and tau protein. Not aluminum, afaik.

19. somberbear

somberbear

Jul 14, 2009
    i use titanium and stainless cast iorn etc.

1. aluminum hot spots really really bad
    2. it has a low melting temp - not good for a camp fire,
    3. acidic reactionary
    4. really soft material

aluminum should be fine just so long as you keep enough water in it... just like leather.

same with non stick ... im not a huge fan of it , but its fine if you cook in it ... but its so easy to over heat it and off gas it. not to mention eatting nommy teflon chips.

20. beef

beef

Feb 15, 2004