1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cool Gun Show find

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Bill Siegle, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    Found a Barteaux machete on a dealer's table at the gun show this weekend. Still has the original sticker on the blade and what's left of a coroded factory edge. Looks like it was used once and put away without a cleaning. This is one with an aluminum handle and about 11inches of blade. I remember seeing this model attributed to the Vietnam war era at one time. Anyone know that end of the story? I think I'd paint the shiny handle before taking it to combat myself, but it would make a heck of a tool/weapon. Can't wait to try it out. BTW the price was only $10 :D

2. Emanuel

Emanuel BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!

Dec 14, 2001
    Score.:)

3. Hoodoo

Hoodoo

Aug 18, 1999
    Hi Bill,
    I've had mine for more years than I can remember. :) This was the only big chopping blade I had for many years. The only problem is that it can wear you out if you have an all day job. The aluminum handle is not too forgiving. But it's a helluva chopper.

[​IMG]

4. Geoff in Philly

Geoff in Philly

Mar 7, 2000
    sell it for $20?;)

5. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    This one ain't fer sale. Makes me smile too much when I use it :D

6. bob bowie

bob bowie

Jul 24, 2001
    Wow, great score:). The Vietnam connection is suppoedly explain in one of M.H. Cole's books. The last couple of these I've seen were priced in the $75-100 range. Is it heavier blade stock then their current machetes?

:D:).

7. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    I would say the thickness is the same as current models. I have the Cole book you mentioned but it doesn't offer up too much info other than they were submitted for testing. I know I wouldn't mind being issued one of these(in a more subdued color of course) over the overly heavy M9 bayonet. Heck I'd rather fight with the small machete than the knife too if I had a choice.