Cool old hammer brand

So as payment for mowing the lawn my grandma gave me this old hammer brand. Thought I'd share it and find out what pattern it is.

Id call that a 1/2 congress pattern.

Shoot, I'd mow the lawn for that. A nice old knife!

Even better if it was your Grandpa's!

I was admiring it. I made it clear I liked it, but I didn't want it, but here we are. I'm not complaining though :)

What's the history on hammer brand? I know it was tied in with imperial, but that's all I know. Were they like the better version?

Hammer Brand first made by New York Knife Company in the 1880s.
New York Knife Company went under in 1931.
Schrade Cutlery bought the trademark and later reintroduced the brand.

Your half congress is probably from the mid-1950s. A nearly identical Imperial stamped knife was made at the same time. In 1946, under the Baers, Schrade Cutlery, renamed the Schrade Walden Cutlery Corporation, became a division of the Imperial Knife Associated Companies.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Imperial/1941-Imperial.pdf

Imperial%2520Hammer%2520Brand.jpg

I think the history is slightly different than given in above post.
"Hammer Brand" was a branding used by New York Knife Co. from 1878 until their closing in 1931. These were very well made knives, some of the best ever manufactured in USA.
In 1936-37 Imperial Knife Co. acquired the Hammer Brand name and used it on many of their knives up until 1955.
In 1947 Imperial, Schrade-Walden and Ulster developed an association with each other presumably to cooperate rather than compete. It was in 1984 that the Baer brothers who owned Schrade and by then Ulster as well, purchased Imperial to become "Imperial Schrade Co." which operated until 2004.
Your knife is from 1937-55. There were 3 different stampings for these in which the arm in the logo is slightly different. If a tang stamping is well struck and well preserved, then these differences in the arm can be used to further date the knife within the 1937-55 time period.
Having said all this, there is always some debate around the exact history of knife companies so my understanding of it could be 'off' and further correction made by those who specialize in knife history.
If "Codger" reads this, he is the expert on the history of these knife companies.
kj

As Joe stated, there are SERIOUS QUALITY differences between a NYKC Hammer Brand and an Imperial stamped Hammer Brand. The later was merely using a purchased logo, which previously became famous for high quality.

The association was formed 1942 (not 1947) with the merger of Imperial and Baer's Ulster and into the Imperial Knife Associated Companies. Baer purchased Schrade Cutlery in 1946 and renamed it Schrade Walden Cutlery which then too became a division of Imperial Knife Associated Companies.

And now I believe someone else owns the trademark and has them mfg in China.

Balrog, that's a very cool half-congress you have there!! (And your grandma must be pretty cool too.) :thumbup::D

- GT

And now I believe someone else owns the trademark and has them mfg in China.

Yes - it rarely ends up as a good thing when a famous knife company logo is purchased by a young company. In most instances that I can think of, the name/logo purchasers produced knives of inferior quality to the historical company, and I suppose hoped that they could fool you into buying a knife, by using a PREVIOUSLY famous name, knowing that the quality was not anywhere close to equal.

The only exception that I can think of is GEC using/owning the Tidioute and Northfield Brands and their modern quality is probably better than the originals.

Also - regardless of dates, I don't ever recall Schrade using the Schrade stamp with the Hammer Brand - it has always been Imperial stamps with the purchased Hammer Brand - many of them shell knives. :eek::eek::eek:

To the OP, it was very nice of your Grandma to give that to you and nice of you to mow her yard. If it belonged to your grandfather, that makes it even better. Otherwise, that knife has little value and be careful of storing it with any valuable knives, as it appears to have celluloid handles and could out-gass and ruin your better carbon steel knives. ;):)

Last edited:
Well thanks for all the info and advice! My grandma is awesome. She was a hippie, and lives in the country. She knows I like knives, but I think this is the first she gave me. I did figure it was celluloid instead of mother of pearl though. It has no play which is very nice.

The shell handled Imperial knives were inexpensive knives because the shell handles were much cheaper to make than solid handles. As far as i have ever read, the steel for the blades & heat treatment were just as good as that found in Schrade-Walden or Ulster, etc.
To the OP: the blades will take a fine edge if you are good at sharpening.
kj

This one was made between 45 and 55. The tang stamp arches that one, my camera just wouldn't focus.

Perry, what a beautiful display ! I remember these from my boyhood days in the 1950's. Back then there were hardware stores that were not part of a large chain and those knives on cardboard displays would be on the counter near the cash register.
The prices were low enough that a kid could earn enough mowing lawns, snow shoveling, etc. to buy himself one of these knives after only a few days of work. The solid handled knives cost much more, 3-4x if i am recalling correctly.
Imperial did a service with these shell handled knives as they were the beginning of a life long interest in pocket knives for many of us now 'old guys'.
kj

Did someone say cheaper Hammers?

Those displays are incredible, Perry! :eek::thumbup::thumbup: When I was a kid, I don't think I knew any pocket knives existed besides Imperials and Colonials (if I even knew that knives had brand names - I've always been a pretty clueless consumer). How big are those toothpicks on the Sportsmaster display? Any of the toothpicks have secondary blades? That's what I really like: those old clip/pen toothpicks! What's the handle on the grayish one right below the second "N" in "HUNTING" (just to the left of the white "cracked ice" knife)? I'm sure it's just a random "formica table" design, but I think I see a dog's head! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

- GT

One of the reasons I tell people to collect these knives is that the tin shell handled knives from the 50s-80s are getting harder to find in good condition. Most of them because they were so cheap were used and abused too the point of destruction because they were so cheap.

The old tin shells aren't always the prettiest or the strongest but they worked well if taken care of and were affordable. Used to find them for a quarter, fifty cents at yard sales and flea markets. Now I see $10-$20 on some, more depending on condition.

Anyway, great knife, great story and hippies rock... :)

Back