Copper Beryllium Blades and Strider Flippers

Maybe this belongs in the Strider subforum sinceIhaven'tseenany othersdo this, but wondering if anyone can comment on the material. I know about the dangers. Talking about how it compares to high end steels.

I commend the maker for trying out new ideas, but I am also a bit skeptical of anyone selling the equivalent of anodized prison shanks wrapped in paracord (and from what I have seen that paracord wrap adds about $100 to the price) and even more appalled that people are willing to buy them at prices I would expect to see on ancient crucifixion nails.

I prefer flippers and am only interested in keeping an eye out for an exceptional deal on a SNG style but as a flipper. Looks like Protech collaborations might work but not sure if all of them are autos, which I can't buy.
If anyone has suggestions on an SNG style flipper or info on the copper alloy mentioned please post.
I thought about this from a few different angles, even considered a clone (NOT A COUNTERFEIT), but the clones (which only copy blade shape and handle style) are all 9Cr13MoV regardless of what they advertise, and I wouldn't buy a straight up counterfeit.
The Buck collaboration is not interesting to me and doesn't have a stellar reputation. I won't spend $75+ on lousy steel, so I guess I am interested in seeing what the best model would be to look for and then patiently wait until I can find a deal on whatever model you all think is the best option at a low enough price that I'd be able to resell without getting hit too hard.

Thanks

If collaborations are an option as you mentioned, maybe a Microtech DOC?
Excellent quality built flipper with good quality steel that sells for somewhere in the $300 range around here.

DOC is what I thought of too. Marfione and Strider collab.
Strider handle with a compound ground flipper blade.

Go for an XM-18 instead. It has a flipper and the forward choil with awesome ergos, plus great blade geometry. Also you're getting an extremely well built knife with the best customer service out there.

I know some people don't like Rick Hinderer's personality, but at least he's not a stolen valor scumbag like Mickey Burger.

Then again, Mickey Burger might make a good prison shank, he certainly has experience there...

I have a 3 and 3.5" Hindered and while I sort out getting my Stinger properly sharpened it's my go to EDC. I love the smaller one, bug one is going up for sale in the next couple of weeks- you're absolutely right about them, the larger one is just too big for me, but they have so many great upgrade options and aftermarket options too- I wish my smaller one had all the copper and upgrades the igger one does!
I don't want to get too down on Strider, I spoke with him a couple of times when I was looking like crazy for something in SM-100 and he was very patient with my questions. Even if it was just salesmanship, he was extremely polite and gracious about it. But I'm still smirking at the "he certainly has experience" line- that's some funny stuff right there!
Have you seen the things? They are an abomination.
I will check out the collaboration but from what I have seen they are mostly autos and VERY expensive. I wish that there was some kind of "try it before you buy it" company or program for these top tier pieces.
I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible to do it, you could secure the knife at full price on a credit card and either keep it or return it, if you send it back in significantly worse shape than you got it in, you pay a couple bucks for the cost of bringing it back up to standard.

Maybe it'll be my retirement business in a few years! If it worked out well, you might even let the resharpening slide. Same knife passed around until someone buys it. I mean, most of these knives are overbuilt to begin with and parts are easily replaced.

Anyway, thanks for the info so far. If anyone knows about a pass-around or test drive program like I outlined above, let me know! I personally would be happy to pay shipping both ways and $20 or so to be able to carry a Sebenza or SNG or Grimsmo Norseman for a couple weeks.

No ne has any experience on the Copper Beryllium I'm guessing?

Maybe this belongs in the Strider subforum sinceIhaven'tseenany othersdo this, but wondering if anyone can comment on the material. I know about the dangers. Talking about how it compares to high end steels.
♦ Copper Beryllium alloys are extremely tough.
♦ They are very corrosion resistant
♦ They are non-magnetic.
♦ But you can only harden them to the mid 40's Rockwell C.

So it would be extremely difficult to break them.
They would be fine around salt water.
They won't set off a magnetic mine.
But their edge retention sucks compared to 420HC.

Back