copper ground/dust hose

hello all- i just got a HF 2hp dust collector with the bags and all- ive read through the threads and infact i started athread on this awhile ago. my question--should all the hose/pvs/metal ducts used be 4" the samse as the dust collector motor outlet/inlet? what would happen if i ran say a 3" pve horizontally and had a 2" flexible hose going to each machine at one big table. the 2" flex hose would have a larger adaption at the part next to the machine. each 2" piece coming off the main #' piece would have a gate. the 3" would continue and end up under the grinder with a spark arrester inbetween. Would using smaller hose sizes be dangeruos cause of the suction?-and as for as the copper grouding goes- i need to run the wire through the entire system and groung it to each machine and motor? i am long winded -sorry thanks mark i plan on hooking up the outtake to go outside -eliminating the bags altogether.

Yeah, the copper wire is handy to prevent large static build-ups in the pvc/plastic hose. I ran mine through all hoses and bolted it to the metal collector frame as well as the metal frames of each machine stand.

A reduction in size won't be too much of a problem; however, it will increase your noise in addition to increasing your velocity at each port. As long as you're not reducing from 4" to 1" at each opening or something that extreme, you should be fine.

--nathan

so in order for a 4" hose to coonect to pvc-the pvc needs to be 3" -the hose can be tightened down, then i could run the hose to each unit and set up a gate then a wider attachment for collection. what about the hoses that have wire in them, can you ust that wire to ground or just bypass with copper wire. thanks

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Reductions are fine as long as they go sequentially. Machine-to 2" hose- to 3" side duct-to 4" main duct. Never M-4-2-3-4, you would get a pressure drop at the machine.
Stacy