1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Coppered Damascus

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Bren Leach, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Bren Leach

Bren Leach

Oct 25, 2016
    Just thought I'd share this and get some opinions. My first attempt at coppering damascus. Etched it like I would normally, then made up a second batch of etching solution but with some copper dust tossed in. A few dips in that and different methods of sanding and/or buffing and I managed this. It gave me a good slice too while I was hand sanding it and since its tasted blood I gave it the stabilized blood red maple burl block I had made a few weeks ago. It will likely it will be up for sale on the here in a few days when I get the handle shaped and finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    This one is gonna be pretty.
    Subscribed.
    rolf

3. Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Feb 17, 2016
    Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

4. stromania

stromania

Mar 7, 2011
    That looks great. I'm anxious to see how this one finishes out.

5. tinkerer

tinkerer

Oct 6, 2009
    I have a concern. Copper and iron are fairly reactive to each other and the possibility of electrolitic corrosion is a real possibility. You might want to read up and maybe hide a little zinc up in the handle for sacrificial protection?

I worry about weird stuff like this.

Larry
    Tinkerer

6. Bren Leach

Bren Leach

Oct 25, 2016
    Thats interesting to know. If it matters I can tell that the copper is plated to the 15n20 with the nickel and not the 1095. Though I wonder now if thats because the there isnt any nickel in the 1095 or if the treatment of the initial, copper free, acid etch protects it while raised surface of the 15n20 once sanded was prepped to bond with the copper. I'll have to go test that I think.

7. Bren Leach

Bren Leach

Oct 25, 2016
    So the answer is no, the copper does not bond to 1095 even on a freshly ground surface. I was able to wipe it away almost entirely with my fingers.

8. Bren Leach

Bren Leach

Oct 25, 2016
    Well, heres pretty much the finished product. Needs sharpened and a sheath but thats easy enough. Thinking its price would be right around $300ish... let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]