Copperhead Question?

Is there any real difference between a "Copperhead" pattern and a "Mini Folding Hunter"?

Or is copperhead just the nickname for that pattern?

I´ve always thought that copperhead refers to the shape of the bolster which is designed to cover the squarish corner on the top of the tangs to prevent damage to pockets, somewhat the same that a canoe pattern does but only on one end, it could be or not be a hunter type. Mini folding hunter sounds kind of ambiguous to me, I think it could be a small Buck 110 type or an old German style with spear blade and saw. Of course, being in Mexico I have a different cultural background and different use of terms even in English (preparing an excuse in case I am totally wrong).

Edited because I completely forgot about those big classic American Folding Hunters that actually do look somewhat in general shape like the copperheads (and thus should have better understood the question), even though I own an old Case 6165L.

Luis

I agree, the handle shape that Queen calls a "copperhead", similar to the one made by several Solingen companies, resembles a scaled-down version of the classic 2 blade "folding hunter" as exemplified by the Queen #39 or the Case 6265. I believe that Queen only makes it as a single blade now.

On the other hand....Case used to make the 6249 pattern, referred to as the "Copperhead".....this was a 4" 2-blade jack pattern, clip and pen blades, extension bolster at the blade end.....the pattern that helped to inspire the "Copperlock" in the Case line.

So the only common feature is the extension bolster....why that gives it the name "Copperhead", I have no idea.

I seem to remember reading some where that the bolster resembles the head of a snake called the copperhead, therefore the name.

Is there really such a snake?

airyq said:
I seem to remember reading some where that the bolster resembles the head of a snake called the copperhead, therefore the name.

There sure is, their common in So. Illinois where I live, "copperhead" was also a nickname for So. Illinoisians that held "southern sympathies" during the "war to suppress Yankee arrogance". :)

Thanks for the replies, when I looked again, there is a slight difference in teh front bolster of my copperheads as opposed to the folding hunter patterns, that might explain the term.

airyq said:

Copperheads exist in New York state as well.

>"I've always thought that copperhead refers to the shape of the bolster which is designed to cover the squarish corner on the top of the tangs to prevent damage to pockets ..."

--------------------------------------

This is a feature I REALLY wish more slipjoints had. I don't know why, but that sharp corner jutting off some knives always kind of bugs me.

The copperhead pattern is a fairy new "add" to the world of knife patterns.Tthere are a couple companies that have made these patterns, similar to a trapper and folding hunter. Most copperheads have been made by German companies, particularly Boker.

Back