1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Copperlock, Mini Copperlock, Tribal Lock...Your Preference?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Eli Chaps, May 2, 2019.

1. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Hello Knife Nuts,

So I'm positively smitten with the Case Mini Copperlock. My current one is going to my grand daughter so I'm going to get another but she's just 3mo's old so I have some time before I need a replacement. In the meantime I'm planning my Dad's Day gift-to-myself.

A while back I had a serious crush on the black Micarta Tribal Lock but opted for the same scaled Large Stockman instead. But that Tribal Lock keeps nagging at me. But then there's the Copperlock. But, like I said, I do love the Mini Copperlock too... :D

Now, I know it is all highly subjective and personal preferences and all of that. This isn't so much about telling me which one to buy, but just which one you prefer, especially if you own all three and why you pick that particular model.

:)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Onearmbladenut likes this.
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I prefer the Mini Copperlock. It still fits in my watch pocket and it's so nice and slim. Anything in the 3-1/2" range is my sweet spot. The only thing I don't like that much are the covers I get on them. They always seem washed-out and plain. That's why my current Mini Copperlock is in red delrin. :D

[​IMG]

3. joesrx

joesrx

Oct 4, 2008
    I like both, but really like the tribal lock. It is a little bigger, but I like the blade shape.

Onearmbladenut and Eli Chaps like this.
  4. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    I prefer the small Copperlock over the large one. My hand just feels too far from the blade on the large model. I don’t have a Tribal Lock yet.

My awesomely cool looking small Copperlock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I have all three. Tough choice. Really tough choice. Yeah, I am no help at all here.

I do find the F&F slightly better on both my large and small copperlock due to the flushness of the lockback when closed.

I am really hoping Case releases a mini Tribal lock soon. 3.5 inches approx.

,,,Mike in Canada

JohnDF and Eli Chaps like this.
  6. Bull71

Bull71

Jul 18, 2018
    I bought a copperlock when they were first introduced and liked it a lot. But I’m loving the mini copperlock since getting one a few months back. It disappears in my right front pocket. I’ve been carrying a stainless one and just bought a CV one in red jigged bone. It performs as good as a full size copperlock but is a much nicer carry, at least for me. I have not tried a Tribal lock.

7. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Case needs to do a mini Tribal Lock. And/or a non-locking one.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  8. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Always love seeing that gorgeous knife. Thanks for sharing!

9. stevekolt

stevekolt KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2007
    Mini-Copperlock for me. The size is perfect for that 5th pocket, and I really love that blade shape. I've got 6 of them now, and am real pleased with them. For larger/beefier traditional slipjoints, it's definitely Great Eastern Cutlery for me.

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The tribal lock has never attracted me, but the mini copperlock certainly has and is on the list for sure.

I say the word list enough, but don't physically have one.
    I think I'll write one down.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  11. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    I have had all three, but the one I kept was the Copperlock. The mini is a hair too short for a comfortable grip and the Tribal Lock just didn't call to me.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The only one I have is the full size Copperlock, and it's a beauty in burnt white stag bone, but . . .

[​IMG]

I've been Jonesin' for a Tribal Lock. Just haven't figured out which one, yet.

waverave, stevekolt, Magizm7 and 3 others like this.
  13. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Oh boy! That one calls out to me! Really nice, Buzz!

Buzzbait likes this.
  14. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Same here. I'm thinking that the Tribal Lock may be a good replacement for my GEC Oregon Trapper during the summer months, when I don't want to carry carbon steel. I've been loving the Case Bone Stag covers lately, so I may go that direction. Then again, I'm always up for some yellow Delrin too.

15. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Just what I needed.. another knife to add to the collection! Those Mini Copperlocks look fantastic. The size is right about what I like to carry too. Do you know of any models offhand that use CV? I glanced over at Knifeworks, but without looking at every individual one, all I saw were stainless models. Which isn’t exactly a problem, but if I had a choice I’d go with their CV.

16. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    There is a prolific Case dealer (non-sponsor so no link) that is showing one in dark red jigged bone and CV.

And there's this guy: https://www.collectorknives.net/sho...rn/case-xx-dark-red-bone-cv-small-copperlock/

McFeeli likes this.
  17. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Thank you for the link! I’m liking that red bone, and I’d be thrilled to purchase it from Collector Knives too.

I always have trouble finding specific Case knives, so I do appreciate the help.

18. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Better snatch it up before it gets away. It's a great design. In my top three of any knife type. :)

McFeeli likes this.
  19. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Thanks. I got lucky on that one, as it sat on auction for quite a while, and it wasn't expensive either. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the less refined look of the covers. It's very unique in comparison to most Case's.

Peregrin likes this.
  20. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    They need wharncliffe options.

Eli Chaps likes this.